Beginner
Mar 20, 2012
You guys think this will work?
1972 Rem 700
1-9 Brux #4 fluted, 24.5", .670 muzzle. "go with a 1-8"
Mcmillian Classic, standard fill, BDL, pillars, bedded
Factory trigger tuned. 7.5# bare.
Blackhawk 20moa rail, Warne 30mm rings, and SWFA 10x

I've probably already read it but I'll reread it if so.
I just had a visitor from the PO.
Scoped and ready at 9.5#. A half pound over my target weight but I went with a lot heavier glass and rings than planed. I could drop to a 6x42 Leupold and Talley LW low's and be well under. But this will be fun for now. Bring on the steel!

Wow. Cool set up! I really love the cartridge a lot. Mines just a Model 70 re chamber but so far it's shown me more accuracy than just about any other rifle I've shot. Mine goes right at 8 1/2 lbs scoped with a 6x42 and feels pretty good.

What are you planning to run through it for bullets? I bet it's going to drive nails too!

Thanks SJB358.
This one is coming great and I haven't even shot it yet. Range time in the morning. It's going to be a long night at work. Lol.
I also shoot a 7-08 so I have a wide variety of bullets to try but the main focus will be between tge 168gr & 180gr. Berger and the 162gr. Amax. I'd like to try the 175gr. LRAB but there to spendy for shooting steel.

I didn't even think of those. I do watch SPS a lot.
Life is good. I'm sitting at the range now waiting on 9am trigger time.

Leslil":3nidp1lr said:
I didn't even think of those. I do watch SPS a lot.
Life is good. I'm sitting at the range now waiting on 9am trigger time.

Good luck! I am looking forward to your work with the big 7. Are you fireforming your cases using pistol powder or under something like a 140 and IMR4350?

Either way, please post pictures. Looking forward to your work. Hoping to get a little more time with mine soon. Scotty

I'm using the standard 65gr. I4350 and the 140gr. of your choice. Would a full case of TrailBoss be easier on my throat?
Pics a little later. I started off with 9 Rem psp to curer the DBC and get sighted in. First 3 140gr. BT's went into .8". Next up was 140gr. Nos. PT. same poi as the BT. 3 in .97". Next 3 back to the 140gr. BT 3 in .280"
This is fun!!

That is beautiful and its shooting very well also, congratulations its a great set up !!!! I have yet to find a 7mm that does not like the 162 gr. Hornady BTSP.

Leslil":mbbgu78v said:
I'm using the standard 65gr. I4350 and the 140gr. of your choice. Would a full case of TrailBoss be easier on my throat?
Pics a little later. I started off with 9 Rem psp to curer the DBC and get sighted in. First 3 140gr. BT's went into .8". Next up was 140gr. Nos. PT. same poi as the BT. 3 in .97". Next 3 back to the 140gr. BT 3 in .280"
This is fun!!

I have no idea how well Trailboss would work for you. Most use between 13-15 grains of Bullseye and a tuft of toilet paper. I am going to actually tweak my seating depth a little with the 140 AB's and BT's with the fireform load. They are plenty fast at 3220 and I could hunt deer with them. 139 Hornady's shot decent as well, but I'd not expect good things from them at 3200. The AB load with 4350 would smack deer pretty hard.

Oh, I forgot to mention, how cool is it putting a fresh case in the chamber then easily extracting a beautifully formed MSM... I love that! Plus, trimming is a thing of the past in my rifle. I can't seem to make them suckers grow much at all.

Not to bad considering the loads were just thrown together. I can not wait to take it long.

Very nice! Like Mike was saying, that has to make you happy.

What sorta COAL are you using with your FF loads?

SJB 2.865 to the OG and I'm .01" off the lands. I have to admit that when I popped the first case out and looked at it, I was like "Damn that's cool"

Foits. Nothing for speed yet. I have a Magnetospeep on order for working up the full power loads.
I can't wait to stretch it out. A buddy at work has a farm and swears we can go out to a mile. I'll be happy to hit consistent at half that. It helps to use bigger targets. ;)

FOTIS":1nz3wpkm said:
Velocities?

Fotis, I ran between 3180 with the 139 Hornady and 3220 with 140 Nosler ABs with 65 grains of 4350 in the fireform loads.

Back