7mm Rem Mag 150 Swift Scirocco

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
This is from the jugs today. Bullet did real well. Was found in the 5th jug. Retained 107 grains. Pretty good performer.

Looks good Scotty, is that the original scirocco?..looks different than mine pal :?

Here's mine for comparison, swift scirocco II, 6 jugs and 137grs retained, Lou.

I bought the box from Sinclairs a few months ago. Says SII on the box. It was put in the jugs at about 15 yards so maybe that is where the weight loss came from.

I was really surprised when I first saw that top pic-looked nothing like mine either. Been testing them in my stw of late. Then I saw the 15 yards part and it made sense. That's a lot of speed related torture, looks like it handled it pretty well

Yeah, 15 yards will put the pain on about any bullet. I like to see how they hold up, up close before I stretch them out.

SJB358":19hc19bm said:
Yeah, 15 yards will put the pain on about any bullet. I like to see how they hold up, up close before I stretch them out.

Scotty, my test was done at 10 yds pal, muzzle velocity @3110fps. I guess the Canadian water is much softer eh :) ..I still think that they labelled your bullets wrong pal :shock: ..your bullet looks just like all the pics I've seen of the original Scirocco bullet, the only difference of the 2 designs is that the scirocco II is'nt heat treated as long, allowing it to penetrate deeper, hang on to more weight, with more controlled expansion.Either way, great bullets pal :)

Lou :wink:

Could be Lou. I'd bet I'm pushing mine a little harder though. The more speed on the front end would probably account for more weight loss. I'll run another one once I verify accuracy and maybe try it a little further out. I'd use that bullet on about any animal walking. Seems pretty sturdy.

I am starting to load the 150 swift in my 7 mag. What are you guys thoughts on the jump for the most accuracy. Should I start at .030 or .050?? I am using norma brass cci magnum primer and will be trying h4831sc first.

I never allowed for much jump in my 7RM. Later studies indicate that I might have achieved better accuracy had I done so. The accuracy was acceptable with the 150 grain Scirocco, and it performed well in the field. Should I return to looking at this particular bullet I will be inclined to allow for considerable more jump. I had a 270 WSM I worked on at one time that had a long throat. The customer could not get the rifle to shoot anything; all he got was patterns. I finally tried the 130 grain Scirocco with a 0.200 inch jump to the lands. Accuracy was unbelievable--0.100 inch consistently. In light of this, I really should have returned to the 150 grain Scirocco in my 7RM (and perhaps even in my 7WSM and 280). Perhaps I should revisit these cartridges with that bullet.

This bullet looks interesting but I need to know about the expansion rate in deer sized game. I need a bullet that expands quickly but holds together. I don't really need super deep penetration in the areas I hunt around home.
Of course there is the occasional big boar but mostly just whitetails. If I ever take this rifle after elk again I'll most likely go with the 160 AccuBond. So mostly I'm after quick kills on whitetails.
I'm still searching for the ONE bullet to load in the 7 mag. One that can hold up to a 15 yard shot and it must do the job at 400 also.
Opinions?

The 140 PT has the longest record of instant deaths on deer for me in the 7mm Rem Mag. Ran a case full of H870 and they worked very well for me, from right off the muzzle out to as far as I could shoot.. Great combo. I don't know if the Swift would be any different, but I know the PT works really well.

I talked to swift they recommend starting at a minimum of .050 from the lands. I will let you know how it goes.

Back