7mm Rem Mag 160 Accubond Range Results

SGT720

Beginner
Jun 30, 2007
New to the forum but not new to Nosler bullets. I went out to the range this morning to work up another AccuBond load and I thought I would share the info with a pic.

7mm Rem Mag
160 gr AccuBond
62.5 IMR 4831

I did not write on the target but it is a .418 three shot group.

Love these Accubonds! Heading to Montana this year to try them out on Elk.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone.

630200781057PM7890_TN.jpg

SGT720

Welcome to the forum.

Outanding shooting! Looks like you have yourself an elk load.
What rifle and scope are you using?

JD338

Thanks JD338!

I shoot a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker top with a Swarovski 4-12x50.

Nice setup.

I hope a big bull ends up in the cross hairs. :lol:

Try shooting into 6-7 gallon jugs of water at 50-100 yds and at 300 yds.
You will really be impressed with how those recovered bullets look and will give you all the confidence you need to kill a big bull elk.
280AI160grABrecovered.jpg

JD338

JD338,
Great picture! Looks like the AccuBond does what it claims to do. I have a lot of confidence with the AccuBond. I'm a firm believer in shot placement though.

Here is a pic of a hog I took last summer with the 160 gr AccuBond

How do like your 280AI?

630200791914PM4180_TN.jpg

Shot placement is everything. Put the bullet where it needs to go and the bullet will do the rest.
Nice hog!

Love my 280AI. Accuracy with the 160 gr AB is almost too good to be true!

JD338

Sgt720 - thanks for showing JD what a 7mm really is! :grin: He keeps trying to get close with that supercharged .280 of his... 8) Everybody who knows anything about hunting knows that he should have just bought a 7mm Rem mag to start with... :grin:

Congrats on the good group. I think you'll find the 7mm/160 combination is a very good one!

Sorry JD - I couldn't resist! Of course my 7mm Rem mag won't group like your supercharged .280 will... Phooey!

Sgt720 - if you want serious penetration, consider the 175 Partition. Used that on a big bull elk a few years back and it worked great!

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":361m84jb said:
Sgt720 - thanks for showing JD what a 7mm really is! :grin: He keeps trying to get close with that supercharged .280 of his... 8) Everybody who knows anything about hunting knows that he should have just bought a 7mm Rem mag to start with... :grin:

Congrats on the good group. I think you'll find the 7mm/160 combination is a very good one!

Sorry JD - I couldn't resist! Of course my 7mm Rem mag won't group like your supercharged .280 will... Phooey!

Regards, Guy

:wink:

JD338

Guy Miner":2xb27w9o said:

Sgt720 - if you want serious penetration, consider the 175 Partition. Used that on a big bull elk a few years back and it worked great!

Regards, Guy

Guy,
What kind of receipe do you have for the 175 Partition in 7mmRM?

-SGT720

When I got the big bull elk in 2000, I was using a max charge of H870 under the Nosler 175 Partition. That's no longer available, unless you find an old jug of it somewhere. Meters well, burns pretty sooty, but can generate some good velocity with heavy bullets from the 7mm Rem mag. My notes read 2930 fps average velocity.

Now I'm using Reloader 22 with the 175 grainer. My rifle doesn't seem to want to produce more than 2880 fps from the well worn 24" barrel, but it shoots well. Use caution with this Reloader 22 stuff, it doesn't seem to take well to max loads and hot summer conditions.

I understand that Retumbo is also a good choice for the 7mm Rem mag with heavy bullets, but haven't tried that combo yet.

Both the Federal 215 and CCI's large rifle magnum primer have performed well. Typically I use Winchester cases.

JD338 & Guy,
Thanks for the info guys. Really enjoying the forum!
Regards,
Shane

Shane,

I used RL22 in the 7mmRM for several years but found that loads with good accuracy and velocity in the winter would blow out the primers during the summer. I live and hunt in Central Oregon and the temperature can range from -10 in the winter to 100+ in the summer. I have switched to exclusively Hodgdon Extreme powders in all calibers and have not had a problem. Last fall my son and I both took 6X6 bulls with the 7mmRM and 160 Accubonds. Dropped them in their tracks. Powder was H1000, R-P once fired brass and Federal 215 Magnum primers.

The photos are on the thread 28 lines down.

Jerry

Back