7mm rem mag & 160gr accu's

Does anyone know (of course someone here does) the original pressure standard for the 7mm Rem Mag and what it is today? The 7mm Rem Mag is getting like the .257 Roberts. Everyone keeps the pressure down below what the brass is capable of handling and the cartridge starts getting the old, "I can get the same thing from my 06". Thats like going to a but kicking contest with one leg tied up. My load of 160 AccuBond and 74 grs of H-1000 at 3079 fps is like Nolser has coined "the hammer of Thor".

Bruce Mc":1ht7kvd6 said:
My load of 160 AccuBond and 74 grs of H-1000 at 3079 fps is like Nolser has coined "the hammer of Thor".

Bruce Mc

You have yourself a 7mm Magnum load. :wink:

I think a lot of cartridges are downloaded due to liability.

JD338

I have an old Speer manual from 1971 that claims they chron'd all the factory loads at that time. There was more than I that hit 3000 plus with a 175. I can't remember what the 150 loads did. I used to have a book with Les Bowman's loads for the 7mm Remington as he was working them up for Reminton. His powder was not available to the handloader at that time, but it was since released as IMR7828. His loads would raise the hair on the back of your neck! I followed his loads very carefully with the 175 then went clear up to 71 grains in the 160 Partition with no signs of pressure. Now this is with an early gun and I tried to go there with a newer 7mm, no way would it go there! Maybe the new powder is different along with a change in chamber dimentions. Even with all the changes, it will reach 3000 in a 160 with ease with the right load. My old old load was the 160 gr Sierra with 67 gr of surplus H4831. This went 3050 fps. Who said thing were not better in the good old days?

my dad has been loading the 160gr AccuBond for his 7mm and was capable of getting around 2900fps but accuacy was very good. I dont' think you will miss out on much with this great bullet even down to 2850, still kills like lightning.

jeepers....Due to liability issues I guess I won't tell you what the original loads were back in the day with a 24 inch barrel.

ahh oh well here goes....as published in "game loads and practical ballistics"

all loads start four grains below max

max

160 grain Partition
h870 80 3134
h4831 69 3115
imr 4831 68 3145
mrp/n 205 68 3150

be carefull and work up from 4 grains below

Remember it's about the gun, not so much the catridge. Everytime some idiot decides to chamber a cartridge in some inferior action, something other then a modern turnbolt, SAAMI drops the maximum pressure down to whatever the inferior action can handle. That leaves the rest of us with solid modern turnbolts guessing at what we can really do with our rifles. I'd like to see SAAMI adopt two standards for reloading pressures. One for Modern Turn Bolt Rifles.....and one for the rest.

That is what is done for the 45-70: Trap Door, Marlin Lever Action and Ruger #1.

JD338

Back