7mm Rem Mag RL-22

338winmag

Handloader
Jan 9, 2011
Okay I learned a lesson today.

I need to stop being so cheap and trying to get maximum number of reloads from my 7mm Rem Mag brass. I read someone's post reply on here the other day regarding his 7mm Rem Mag brass and only get 5 reloads out of it and then toss it. Thats what I did yesterday and reloaded with new brass. The Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 loved it and thanked me for it. :lol:

.008 off the lands didn't work; .013 off the lands didn't work; but.... .020 off the lands and heavens started singng. A new target, a few adjustments and tada! After this group I just peppered the clover for another 4 shots, one on top of each other in that little group. I was ecstatic!!! She was a little high and left so 2 clicks down and 1 click to the right and she is almost deadon on. I then let another shooter take a few shots with a new target. Same thing. It also made him feel good to get a near touching clover with all three. I am happy and ready to use this rifle as backup.

The Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 came through! Scotty I am ready!!!

View attachment 7mm Rem Mag RL-22 67grs 3079 fps.jpg

Good on you. I have been using that load for over 15 years!
What bullet? 160 gr?

FOTIS":3ef0207k said:
Good on you. I have been using that load for over 15 years!
What bullet? 160 gr?

160 gr Nosler AccuBond!!!!!

I am starting on year 1. I can actually go faster but not enough time to test before leaving for hunting camp next week.
Thanks Fotis!

3050 fps is about the norm in this case. This is based on 17 7mm rem mags so far. Nobody can tell the difference really.

Getting 3050-3060 fps with the 160 AccuBond or the 160 gr Partition seems to be the norm of things for most handloaders with the 7mm Rem Mag and a 24 inch barrel. Not that this is necessarily bad, just that it seems to be the practical physical limitation of either RL-22 or IMR 7828 SSC. Getting another 50 fps is not going to change to world of 7mm Mag shooters anyhow.

What bothers me is the fact that the smaller .280 Rem (non-AI) case can deliver 3000 fps reliably and consistently and knocks the bigger 7mm Rem Mag off its perch as the popular king of the 7mm cartridges and does it with 8 grains less powder and fuss.

I have been thinking about this loading conundrum for about a years now since getting those 3000 fps velocity results from a .280 Rem myself. I guess that since I have transferred my .280 to my grandson that all is still Right with the world and I am not going to worry about my 7mm Rem Mag velocities until powders change again. The 7mm Ram Mag has served my needs since 1963 and will continue to do so.

I have been using 66.0 grains of IMR 7826 SSC for the last 15 years or so. I used H-4831 before that.

My 7mag likes once fired brass over new brass, but same load, RL 22 with 160 Accubonds. Thanks once again Fotis

Corey

My pleasure sir! Now go get some meat for the freezer.

I been reloading my son's 7mmRM with the 160 AB's/RL-22, with very good results much like the rest. I still been curious to try RL-25 in it however, just to see.
Anybody else tried 25?

FOTIS":y53ujx78 said:
My pleasure sir! Now go get some meat for the freezer.
Funny you say that my wife told me the other day she is tired of store bough burger and told me I better get an elk no pressure.

Corey

The 7mm Rem mag, RL-22, 160 gr Nosler combo is well proven and just an all around great combination.

I'd hunt with that!

onesonek":17wpmis0 said:
I been reloading my son's 7mmRM with the 160 AB's/RL-22, with very good results much like the rest. I still been curious to try RL-25 in it however, just to see.
Anybody else tried 25?

Had good results also with RL 25 also 68-70 gr pending on rifle.

onesonek":arcbbxj4 said:
Anybody else tried 25?

It's on my list to try with the 175 PTs!

Great shooting Steve. Looks deadly from here!

Back