7mm STW - range report

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
Took my M70 Laredo out to the range yesterday and she is looking promising. I am going to try some RL25 next.

7mmSTWb.jpg

7mmSTWa.jpg

Some fine looking groups with your STW. The US869 should be an excellent powder. I have used RL25 in the past with some success. More recently, I've had good success with Ramshot Magnum and the 160 grain TSX

Good groups its always nice to see pictures. Mine groups best with 162gr Hornady BT bullets. The best group with hunting bullets is with the 160 gr TSX using slightly over 80 grains of H-1000. Most of my manuals suggest 1000 as very good powder. You might also try that although most deer and elk probably won't know the difference.

Just loaded up some 160gr AB with H-1000. Started at 76grs and went to 80grs. Will see how they shoot :wink:

boomer68

I would also look at Retumbo and RL 25 if H1000 doesn't meet your needs.

JD338

Mine likes the 180 Bergers at 74 grains and the TSX at 81 which is max :grin: .

My buddy does a lot of reloading for people and he has found that on average IMR 7828 is about the best powder for the 7 STW for accuracy and speed with many different bullets. Retumbo really makes my 264 Win Mag shoot.

boomer68

Try seating your bullets 1/4 turn deeper on your seater die and reshoot. It might take a few tries but you might be able to bring in those groups.

JD338

JD338

I loaded them at 3.600, so you think I should seat them a bit deeper like 3.580 or so?

Thanks

boomer68

An old bench rest shooters trick. Turn your seater in 1/4 turn and reshoot. Keep doing this until they shoot tighter.

If this doesn't work, try Retumbo and RL 25. Do the same with the COL and you should find the sweat spot.

JD338

curious as to your results as well. 7828 is indeed a good powder for 7STW. I have used 7828 with SCII's with great velocity.

my loads:
160 AB
78g H1000
3210fps avg
.015 off the lands

150g TTSX
80g H1000
3345fps avg
.040 off the lands

My A-Bolt seems to prefer H1000 slightly over RL25. I load the 160 AB with 80.3gr of H1000 to an OAL of 3.565 which seems to be my magic number for accuracy.

I'm going out to the range next weekend. Maybe I'll post some data and we can compare notes.

Thanks for the pics, btw.

jdmason480":3qqtjrpc said:
My A-Bolt seems to prefer H1000 slightly over RL25. I load the 160 AB with 80.3gr of H1000 to an OAL of 3.565 which seems to be my magic number for accuracy.

I'm going out to the range next weekend. Maybe I'll post some data and we can compare notes.

Thanks for the pics, btw.

That would be great. Keep us updated on your results. I hope to get out to the range next weekend and will try playing with OAL too and some RL25.

boomer68":35zfqukt said:
That would be great. Keep us updated on your results. I hope to get out to the range next weekend and will try playing with OAL too and some RL25.

Made it out to the range today. The tripod on the chronograph broke, so I don't have velocity data. The 80.0 gr of RL25 behind the 160grAB to OAL of 3.565 was quite accurate--for me anyway. I don't have that program you have and don't really understand MOA all that well, but I shot a three shot group with the length of each side being 1.04 inch, 1.1 inch and 1.34 inch. That was about representative of the day. I think the variation is in me and not necessarily in the round or the gun.

It was 90 degrees this morning. I here rumors that RL25 performs better under warmer conditions. :?:

On a separate note, I also brought out my old Ruger M77 7mmRM. I had almost given up on it because it had gotten a little squirrely on me until some members here suggested that I clean the bejesus out of it with that Barnes copper cleaner. Took me a couple times of serious cleaning, but I got it back into hunting condition. Shot well today with 65.0grs of RL22 behind the 160AB.

Good day of shooting!

jdmason480":2qhund47 said:
Made it out to the range today. The tripod on the chronograph broke, so I don't have velocity data. The 80.0 gr of RL25 behind the 160grAB to OAL of 3.565 was quite accurate--for me anyway. I don't have that program you have and don't really understand MOA all that well, but I shot a three shot group with the length of each side being 1.04 inch, 1.1 inch and 1.34 inch. That was about representative of the day. I think the variation is in me and not necessarily in the round or the gun.

It was 90 degrees this morning. I here rumors that RL25 performs better under warmer conditions. :?:

On a separate note, I also brought out my old Ruger M77 7mmRM. I had almost given up on it because it had gotten a little squirrely on me until some members here suggested that I clean the bejesus out of it with that Barnes copper cleaner. Took me a couple times of serious cleaning, but I got it back into hunting condition. Shot well today with 65.0grs of RL22 behind the 160AB.

Good day of shooting!

Sounds very promising. I will give RL25 a try and see how it shoots in mine. There has to be a good load out there somewhere :wink:

The 7mm STW did very well for me with WC 860 surplus powder. I never loaded it to the STW's potential because it shot very well at around 3050-3100 with 160 AB's. I think I could have stoked it up a bit hotter if I wanted, but the rifle was a Browning A bolt synthetic that was very light and yet still very comfortable to shoot with that load.

I tried 7828, ramshot mag and retumbo with no luck in taht rifle until I found a pressure point under the fore-end and then added a timney trigger kit to lighten up the trigger.
Unfortunately, I got the timney kit on trade after I had sold the rifle and was waiting for the transfer to go thro. I installed it and hunted with it for one season with devestating results until the buyer finally got his permit.
Being in Canada, I was not able to release the rifle until he had his permit, not really a great system. However, we do have great hunting here.

JT.

Back