7mm STW

David

Beginner
Apr 4, 2006
I wanted to build an 7 mm STW. I am not sure about the action. I was thinking about a Ruger #1 or Rem 700 action. Suggestions.... Also, can it be built for under $1000?
David

Buy a magnum ADL 700 or a used BDL. Sell the barrel to offset the cost. It ca be done but it will be close. Start shopping ofr a barrel that a private seller might want to get rid of.

I agree with POP, a 700 action because it is easy for the smith to get things right and easy to stock.

Why not a 7mmRUM? I Had on the past 2 7mmSTW, for sure Its an excellent Cart, but the 7mm RUM beats it without a belt. I have a PACNOR
poly t9 waiting for a 7mmRUM, or should I build a 280AI???
For sure if you build the 7mmSTW it would be a good desicion.

+1 go with the Remington 700 action.

JD338

Buy a Rem sps in 7mm mag and have it rechambered to 7 STW. Done deal. Should have enough left over to put a good scope on it too.

A 7mmSTW will shoot, here is what mine did with a 130gr bullet

IMG_5413-1.jpg

I also agree with the 700 Action. Parts availability is endless.
Cost wise would probably be better as POP mentioned to purchase a used firearm ( magnum action ) and have it rebarreled to the 7STW. Fairly straight forward.
If you don't have or used a Smith in the past, ask around in here, lots of good references.
And last and mentioned before 7-RUM ?

Very Nice Bullet.
I rebuild my STW on a Winchester Model 70 Classic action and my smith hated me for it. I'd say go with the Remington action and a looong barrel, something in the 28 to 29 inch range. I like the STW because it's a more classic size. Fits in my press, priming tool, and loading blocks better. Everyone talks about belts, but it's never caused me a problem. If you want maximum and modern, the RUM is a fine choice as well. Either way you will be happy.

I was at the Hamburg PA Cabelas yesterday. They were selling Rem 700 ADL's in 7 Rem Mag for $399. You could just throw a scope on it and be done or rebarrel it in 7STW or 7RUM.

Rebarreling with a custom match barrel along with an action blue-printing and a bedding job will cost you around $700, depending on who does the work. You should consider getting a match recoil lug and a trigger job if you go that far.

RMiller":2tjhsxhg said:
Buy a Rem sps in 7mm mag and have it rechambered to 7 STW. Done deal. Should have enough left over to put a good scope on it too.

You WILL need a 26" tube!

PoP is right, it will need a 26" tube. Hey, Pop, that target came from a Savage 116FS with a 26" barrel in 7mmSTW. :)

POP":k2p6uo8c said:
RMiller":k2p6uo8c said:

You WILL need a 26" tube!

I originally had a 26" Hart barrel on my 7 STW. A 1,000 rnds later I had the barrel set back and rechambered. The tube is now 25" and it shoots great. Velocity loss was minimal and it still shoots faster than any 7 Rem mag.

Just a thought.

Back