7mm vs. 300 win mag

laker

Beginner
Jun 25, 2006
Ok i can't make my mind up on which one to buy, and even though i want to i cant buy both, so which one would you pick for deer and elk and why would you pick that one.

Take your pick, can't go wrong with either. If you're looking at two different guns pick the one you like the best. Now if you have say a 30 caliber already and no 7mm rifles I'd probably pick the 300 simply because you can use the same bullets or vice versa.

They would both make a great Deer/Eik rifle the 7mms have a little less recoil I hope that helps a little.

Both the 7mmRM and 300 WM are great rounds for deer and elk.
The advantage would go to the 300 WM if you use heavy bullets like a 200 gr AB. It will carry more energy farther than the 160gr AB from a 7mmRM. You will also have a little more recoil with the 300WM than the 7mmRM, but both are very manageable and you will never notice it when you are hunting.

JD338

As far as recoil between the 2, I beg to differ a bit. My Fatherinlaw's 7mmRM in a Remington rifle kicks like a mule with 160gr bullets compared to me and my buddies Sako m75SS 300WM with 180gr bullets. I cant shoot 1 box of ammo with the 7mm, but I could shot our 300's no problem...could be just the rifle.

I personally prefer and reccomend the 300WM b/c of the larger bullet choice and downrange energy but I will say that I stick to the 180gr Accubonds ( i do have some 150 / 165 / 200 grain AB's but only reloaded some 200's) in our 300WM for all big game in Alberta. When we are out hunting the elk and or moose and if we see a trophy whitetail or mulie, its going down. The performance of the Accubonds I found in all calibers I have is phenonemal. From the 270WSM with 140gr to my fatherinlaw's 7mmRM with 160's and our 300WM with 180grainers...who needs another bullet. All one shot kills at various distances and mostly all complete pass thrus.

i have both, the 7mm is my main deer gun, but the 300 is my elk rifle. if i could only have one it would be the 300 with two loads. a 165gr for deer and a 200gr for elk

Hi laker,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Based on over 35 years of successful hunting experience with just one caliber, my advice to you, (based on bullet versatility and a cartridge that is adaptable to any hunting situation), would be to buy the 300 Win. Mag...... This cartridge is simply outstanding!!!!..........Based on world wide ammo sales stats, the 300 Winchester is the most popular .300 magnum!...The 7mm although a very capable round cannot equal the 30 caliber versatility in available bullet weights!!!!!.....The 300 Winchester Mag. has served me well for 35 years!!...............Big Squeeze!

Have to say 300win.mag for me. Been my main rifle since 1994. 165's for deer and 200's for elk. Shot alot game with this rifle including several elk. The 200 Partition is my go to bullet for about everything now ( even used it on two antelope). My brother has used the 7mm Rem.mag during this period. In fact i have watched him shoot 5 elk with this gun. It really does a good job also. However last year he bought a 300win.mag if that tells you anything. He shot a elk and two antelope with it using 180 accubonds. Our line of thought is basically to hit elk with all the gun we can handle.

If you are primarily hunting deer, I would go 7mag. If you are hunting elk every year, I would lean 300mag.

Funny,I remember this exact "debate" when I lived in Alaska going on all the time.My opinon is that they are both great rounds.Both will put stuff down with authority.Both just about knock the snot out of you while shooting them.Both can do whatever you want them to do.Both have been around for along time and are well proven calibers for small and big game.If you dont reload,both have numerous amounts of factory ammo loadings and are cheap and can be found at just about any little "mom & pop" store.

I would first find a rifle that fits me,shoulders & balances well.Then I would worry about the choice of caliber.If you get either one with a good bullet,there is nothing walking that either wont put a hurtin' on.

Good luck with your choice,but dont lose any sleep over it. :wink:

Tim

Hands down, 300 will have more power and a little more recoil in the same rifle. The 300 is an excellent cartridge for accuracy, bullet selection and ammo availability. THe 7mm is a little flatter shooting out to 400 yards or so and is very popular around here (cntrl Mn), but I think it is over rated.

Back