7mm weatherby -160 accubond problems

257ai

Beginner
Feb 4, 2005
i have been using 160 pt's in my 7mm weatherby for years without any problems. i use 68 grs of rl-22 with fed 215 primers. however when i used 160 accubonds with the same powder load and seating depth, i get gas blowby on the cases. does anybody know why? thanks

Due to jacket construction you shouldn't have any problems, but it sounds as if you have a bit of pressure build up. Please back your load off. Also please mic your bullets, just in case, I would be curious to see if they are oversized. Also, what is your barrel size, is it undersized? Just some thoughts, please let us know.

nosler, thanks for responding to my e-mail, you are correct about a possible pressure problem, because with 66 grains thru 68 gr of rl-22 all cases showed ejection marks on the rim. it has been suggested that i may have cooper build-up the first 6 inches of the barrel, but i disagree since the gun has a K&P match grade barrel with about 150 shots fired thru it. additionally, i use a 28%ammonia solution to clean out the copper in all my barrels. it has been suggested since i use a brass brush with the cleaning solution that i am building up cooper in the barrel again i disagree with the statement. as for undersize barrel, i am a little slow so can you further expand on this comment. i will measure the bullets as suggested by you and let you know, also i am going to try imr 4831 with the 160's to see if i have the same problems.

Back