7mm WSM/Rifles

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
I like to play with some of the oddball calibers and recently became interested in getting a 7mm WSM. I have tried to research it as best I could but found few articles or reviews from actual users since, I guess, it's the least popular of the WSM family.

I would like to have a Browning A-Bolt but, due to Christmas and medical bills, the money isn't there so I'm focusing more on Winchesters and Savages.

Does anyone have any personal experiences with this caliber and, more specifically, in these rifles, including the Browning? This also includes any reloading or hunting information as well.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

Ron,

If you are in the market, and $500-600 is within your budget, PM me and I'll connect you with a good source that has some 7mmWSM's in new condition for that price range.

I think this round is the best of the WSM's, and it's just a scoche ahead of the 7mmRemMag in pretty much every bullet weight, from equal length barrels. I'd like to have a Winnie in 7WSM at some point, but I may end up having to build one instead. Maybe off of a Weatherby Vanguard 270WSM/300WSM action...Who knows?

This is one of my favourite cartridges in my Featherweights. I load 160 grain ABs with MagPro to obtain 0.25 inch groups consistently. It has taken a number of deer (both mulies and whitetails). It is a ballistic twin to my 7mm RM, but I just enjoy the cartridge. Understand that it is a handloader's cartridge, which is not a bad thing in my estimate. I've seen a few floating around at some amazingly low prices, in part, because people were not enamoured of the cartridge. You can find some good prices on used rifles that have been barely shot.

Just buy a 7mm Rem mag... it's the same ballistically... and has a few advantages that somehow no one ever talks about.... like brass availability... and OAL latitude... and the plethora of factory loads... and more pokes in the belly (4 vs. 3) and everyone who's anyone makes one... etc.

Dubyam, I wish I had that much to spend but I really don't. That's why I'm looking at the Winchester/Savage option since they're usually cheaper. I really appreciate your offer, though.

Songdog, I have a Remington 700 in 7Mag but, as I said in the first sentence, I like to play with the oddball/unusual calibers.

Dr Mike, I've found a few possibilities (guns) at affordable (for me) prices but I was hoping for info on accuracy from both brands if possible. What kind of performance did you see on the game you shot? My primary use would be on whitetail deer, possibly elk, and of course the ever dangerous paper target. :wink:

Thanks for the input guys!!

Ron

My rifle shoots a number of loads to 1/4 inch at 100 yards. The impact of a 160 grain AB launched at 3000 fps ensures that deer are DRT. I have not used this load on elk, but I have no doubt that it will work very well on elk.

My local pusher has a synthetic/blue push feed Winchester on the shelf, $399 I think, I think. Seems like and awesome round, no idea why it did not catch on.

No idea why the 7WSM hasn't caught on... it is something of a rage among Alaska sheephunters building ultra lightweight mountain rifles. I like the WSMs quite a lot and it seems the 7WSM is one of the more seriously underappreciated rounds out there.

A friend built one recently and it is something else.

DrMike, I was thinking about something like a 140 BT for whitetail. Experience or opinions?

Ron

I have wanted to add a 7WSM to the stable for awhile. I kind of wished I had got the 7WSM in the M70 back when it was available, but they have not placed it in their new line of rifles. Either way, I bet a Browning 7WSM would be a shooter. Savage's are known GOOD rifles all the time, probably one of the ones I would bet on and they are pretty affordable.

140gr BT out of a 7WSM would be in the 3200 range and a little high on the operation range for them, but I would think a 150BT or 140gr AB would by dynamite. Either way, hope you grab one, it is an awesome cartridge. I own the 270WSM and would never trade it for anything.. Scotty

I just bought a used Howa in 7Wizzum. Haven't even mounted a scope on it... thinking about throwing one of my Conquest 3-9s on it. It's my favorite of the WSMs. The .270 doesn't really do anything for me, I'll probably end up with a .300 at some point, and I think the .325 is my second most interesting.

Dang this working out of town stuff! I can't even play with my rifles!

Ron,

I never gave serious consideration to the 140 grain bullets, especially the BT. Velocities with this cartridge are sufficiently great that it is inviting devastating impact at closer ranges (under 400 yards). I want a quick kill with sufficient penetration to ensure that I reach the vitals. I am also cautious to avoid too rapid expansion of the bullet. Additionally, though I have no doubt that the lighter and more lightly constructed bullet will kill, I hunt in areas where there are moose, elk and grizzlies. Thus, I opted to use a more heavily constructed bullet because of the velocities generated. I would think that a 140 grain AB or the 150 grain E-Tip would give you better terminal performance if you are after the velocity. However, a 160 grain AB at muzzle velocity of 3000 fps strikes deer like the hammer of Thor. Again, of the WSMs, the 7mm is my favourite. I have loaded for a number of them, and I find them to be perhaps the easiest to load for accuracy. It is a great cartridge that works very well on game.

Dads been shooting his 7 Mag since about 1964. After some initial experimentation (so I'm told_I was in diapers when it was bought) he settled on 130 Grain Speers. The thing is legendary for its ability to drop stuff in its tracks....big deer, antelope, coyotes, Porcupine :shock: Ieven recall hearing of the time he "barked" a wood pecker :wink: . I cant get him to switch to BT's but I would take them 140's after anything but Elk. CL

Ric Horst had a great 7mm WSM built - and it was featured over on 6mmBR.com. Here's the article:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek064.html

Fine article about a great cartridge. Well worth the read. I think there's another one over on 6mmBR.com, about a match-winning 7mm WSM as well. British as I recall.

Regards, Guy

I have a Win 7wsm, it is an excellent all around deer and elk cartridge. Used 150 gr partitions to take my one and only elk in NM at 322 yards. It works great on Missouri white tail, with 140 gr Accubonds, but is really a little bit overkill imo. I also shoot a 7-08 and 284 win, and they are more than adequate for deer. It is fun to load and not too tough to shoot either - best of the WSMs IMO, can't imagine why it hasn't caught on.

I have a Winchester model 70 in the 7mm WSM, GREAT GUN! it is very accurate and they are excellent when it comes to longer ranges on the flat lands. I am shooting 168 grain berger target vld's out of mine with H1000 and they are going 3114 fps without any pressure signs. Once again GREAT caliber and you can't go wrong with them.

The 7WSM is an awesome cartridge that I hope sticks around. Hard to find good used ones, I guess cause most know what they have and aren't willing to give them up. I have looked for a match to my 270WSM a few times. Scotty

My first 7mm WSM was a SS M70 that showed erratic accuracy. It also had an out of round chamber. That really bothered me so I sold it.

When the Kimber Montanas came out in the WSM's I got one in 270 WSM as I knew the 7 WSM would not make it. Never the less I still had to have a 7 WSM so I got one of those too. Both Kimbers are accurate. The 7mm WSM is the more accurate of the two.

I prefer the WSM's to the ill designed belted magnums.

Back