7mm08 hodgdon superformance?

ronc80

Beginner
Dec 29, 2018
So has anyone worked up a good load for this combo?
So long story short ish. New to reloading. Don't even have my press yet. Its being shipped tomorrow I hope. Spent weeks finding components to get started. Have enough of everything coming for a few hundred rounds. As for powder you all know is out everywhere. Couldn't find any varget. Did find some superformance. Not having my horonady load data book yet I grabbed a pound. I shoot hornady superformance factory loads and my rifle seems to like them. Got reading and found out that hodgdon didn't have any load data for this caliber. This is what I was reading on a forum but it was back in 2014.
So do I just save it for my 243 and keep looking for a different powder that will work and is proven?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Until you gain familiarity with powder/cartridge combinations, I'd advise being cautious about powder selection. The Superformance powder marketed by Hodgdon does not appear to be the powder that is used in the Hornady ammunition. Hornady appears to have several non-canister powders that they use. I'd hang onto the powder you have and use it according to the appropriate tested loads printed in a manual and pick up a good powder that is recommended for the 7mm 08.

DrMike":3q0a548n said:
Until you gain familiarity with powder/cartridge combinations, I'd advise being cautious about powder selection. The Superformance powder marketed by Hodgdon does not appear to be the powder that is used in the Hornady ammunition. Hornady appears to have several non-canister powders that they use. I'd hang onto the powder you have and use it according to the appropriate tested loads printed in a manual and pick up a good powder that is recommended for the 7mm 08.
Yea thats what I was thinking just can't find any powder any where. Hoping I'd get lucky. Never happens though. Thanks for letting me know what I kinda knew. I'll keep looking.

It's definitely a niche powder, and not the same specialty powders Hornady uses in their retail ammo, and they're pretty upfront about it. There's a limited selection of cartridges where it performs well. It's fantastic in my 280.. Somewhere I read Hodgdon said, if there isn't data for a particular cartridge, it's probably because it wasn't a good fit. Like they say, and I tend to agree, "WHEN it works, it really works"

So maybe Ramshoot hunter? I'm grasping at straws. Looking for something I can learn with that is proven and works. Just until I can find some verget or h4350 or power pro200mr. I think that last one was right . I've been searching for days and my brain is turning to mush.
31656de25cb147a4ee004b74bc9eca2e.jpg

I would recommend sending an email to Hornady asking them what powder & primer they used for the load you are wanting to work up.

I have done that in the past and their technicians responded with the data I needed to recreate the the factory load I was wanting to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You didn't list what bullet weight but Ramshot Hunter is listed for heavier weight 150 and up bullets in the Ramshot manual. Ramshot Big Game would work for the lighter weights.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

whit":1nwwschm said:
You didn't list what bullet weight but Ramshot Hunter is listed for heavier weight 150 and up bullets in the Ramshot manual. Ramshot Big Game would work for the lighter weights.

Sorry forgot Sierra 7mm 140 gr SBT .284

Big Game is listed for 140 gr. Bullets. Big Game is slightly faster than the 4350 powders. So would be closer to Varget. Hunter is between 4350 and the 4831.

I did find some ramshot big game. I'll will order it if this will get me started. I'm not looking to get 1/4" moa out of my browning lever action but I do want to hit the paper. This is at 100 yards on a tripod with the superformance factory. If I can stay on the paper wile I'm learning and not blow myself up id be happy
b69772bd3c23b0f10fb1b006fe7b3c56.jpg

Ron , I have Sierra info . it scanned as a pdf file, I don't think I can post it on here . if you want PM me your Email address and I'll try to Email it to you . Denise will be home soon , she's better at this than I am .

this booklet was copyright in 2004 , so it doesn't have the latest and greatest powders . it does have 17 different powders listed , so you could go shopping . some of these older powders might be easier to find .

jimbires":3j7lus24 said:
Ron , I have Sierra info . it scanned as a pdf file, I don't think I can post it on here . if you want PM me your Email address and I'll try to Email it to you . Denise will be home soon , she's better at this than I am .

this booklet was copyright in 2004 , so it doesn't have the latest and greatest powders . it does have 17 different powders listed , so you could go shopping . some of these older powders might be easier to find .
Thank you I will pm for the info. I did find some Barnes bullets that will work with the powder I can find so I working it. My phone might blow up with all the jumping around and cross referencing im doing but its all I can do nothing around me has anything and they don't know when they will have anything.

I got your Email . I'll get this to you soon .

I have a older Barnes book . what bullet did you get ? if I have info I'll send it too .

jimbires":3q9s4yin said:
I got your Email . I'll get this to you soon .

I have a older Barnes book . what bullet did you get ? if I have info I'll send it too .
140 grain tipped tsx boat tail

Ron , I don't have T-TSX info . this was instructions that came packed with TSX bullets before the info was in their new book . I think TSX and TTSX would use the same info . maybe someone here could verify .

P1010979.JPG

P1010980.JPG

P1010981.JPG

Big Game, IMR 4350, H414 have all given good groups with 140gr Nosler AB,BT in my 7mm08. Different bullet than you listed but at least will give you an idea of what to look for in powders when you find some. Dan.

wvbuckbuster":2vxfxe2r said:
Big Game, IMR 4350, H414 have all given good groups with 140gr Nosler AB,BT in my 7mm08. Different bullet than you listed but at least will give you an idea of what to look for in powders when you find some. Dan.

All great choices. And Reloder 17 is a dandy, albeit a sleeper powder, for the 7-08 and 140 class bullets.

Re Superformance - it's worked great in my 6mm Creedmoor - but I haven't tried it in anything else.

Guy

Yeah- Superformance is an excellent powder that is pretty picky on the cartridges it works for.

As mentioned, when it works...it really works. I got speeds from my .300WSM with 165gr bullets that bordered on scary with no adverse pressure signs. Too bad the rifle didn't like it and accuracy was only so-so. Loads with a 30-06/178 ELDX and the 6.5CM/143 ELDX were both fast and accurate.

If you're loading a cartridge with data available, I'd likely start there.

For the 7-08, we've had good results with H414, H380, and H4350 in the 140-150gr bullets. The 7-08 is a straightforward cartridge to load for and isn't very picky with powder selection. I'm on the hunt for some 6.5 StaBall for the next round of experiments.

Ramshot Big Game seems to get a lot of love from 7-08 shooters, but it's hard to find in my area under normal circumstances...much less current ones.

Back