7mmRM...What would you do next?

wisconsinteacher":3viz9iif said:
Okay, I just looked and have some RL22 and RL25 on hand. What one would you try first with the 150 Partition?

One of my "pet loads" for the 7 RemMag is 70 gr RL25 with either the 150 Nosler Partition or 150 BT. Accuracy is excellent with either one and velocity was 3125 fps. That's what I would try.

RL22 will work as well and unless you routinely go from 90-100F to 20 below zero for your hunting I would not worry too much about temp sensitivity. I've seen lot to lot powder variations show more velocity loss than temp instability.

The 4350's work after a fashion but are on the quick side for best results in the 7 RemMag. IMR4350 is also one of the worst when it comes to temp stability.

We also have to remember that load juggling and seating depth are only any good in getting a rifle to shoot if the rifle is accurate in the first place and has no mechanical issues.If the rifle is untuned, you can load juggle forever with mediocre results.

I've been working up a load for my 7 mag Savage 111FCNS for an elk hunt. The best load so far: 160 GR. AccuBond, over 61 GR RL-22, with Win. WLRM primer, with an ogive of 2.712". I get consistent 5-shot, 100 yard groups that a penny will cover. I'm happy with the load. I had mediocre success with IMR 4350 and 4831. RL-25 was better than those two, but the RL-22 is best so far. These are the only 4 powders I've tried in the load, probably will stay with the 61 GR of RL-22 since October is coming up fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard, DamonZ8. ReLoder 22 is certainly a great performer in the 7 RM. It has served me well for many years.

I have a Win. Mod. 70 that I use 65grs. IMR4831 Fed.215 primer with the Nosler 150 BT groups 5/8 to 3/4 in. at 100 yards. I'm pleased with the results on whitetails here in WV.

Thanks Dr.Mike. I'm new to the forum and the 7 mag, only had it about a year now.

DamonZ8":24yldi1j said:
I've been working up a load for my 7 mag Savage 111FCNS for an elk hunt. The best load so far: 160 GR. AccuBond, over 61 GR RL-22, with Win. WLRM primer, with an ogive of 2.712". I get consistent 5-shot, 100 yard groups that a penny will cover. I'm happy with the load. I had mediocre success with IMR 4350 and 4831. RL-25 was better than those two, but the RL-22 is best so far. These are the only 4 powders I've tried in the load, probably will stay with the 61 GR of RL-22 since October is coming up fast.

Good shooting, would you happen to record the velocity with the RL22?

I did not record the velocity, but I think it lists in the Nosler book in the upper 2900's.

Back