30-06 and 7mmRM at the range

As a side note, the 150 gr PT does shoot.
This is from a 280AI and 61.0 grs RL22.
022.jpg

JD338

Of all the 150 grain bullets tested in my own 7RM, the 150 grain PT shot the best. It is almost as accurate as the 160 grain PT, which is scary accurate.

As Scotty has mentioned, we have talked through email and I think the next step is for me to add a little pressure to the frond of the stock and see what happens.

My late father-in-law did say one time that this rifle did not pattern well. That comment is still in the back of my mind and makes me wonder what can be done to fix it. He shot factory ammo from the rifle. Maybe I need to buy a box of ammo and try it.

I have only loaded/used the 150PT one time, back in '84. I too was using IMR 4350, somewhere around where you are at. In a hunting rifle, I usually start off at .020 or .025 off the lands and then play with my powder charge. I was using a Mod 700BDL that had been bedded and barrel floated and trigger tuned. Nothing really fancy but it shot extremely well and worked extremely well on a nice Georgia buck. If I ever get around to loading the 150 in this new 7mm Rem Mag I have now, I will start out with R22 or R26. I think a change of powder is called for, maybe fool with your bedding, but hey, a belted magnum shooting 1-1.5 isn't bad! Good luck to you.

As others have mentioned, and I agree.....every time I try a new load work up in my 7 RM's I grab RL 22 first. I always start at .010 off lands, find pressure, and go from there.

I used to use IMR-4350 for my 7mag.My load was 65.3gr.I used it for bullet weights from 139-150grs.I never could get it to shoot good until I got close to 65.0grs.I would say this is a max load,but I used it in more than one rifle with very good results.If you try it,as always,work up to it.I took my rifle up to 67.0grs with a 150gr BT in load testing,so I was comfortable at the 65.3gr load.Then I found Reloader-22.This powder is wonder powder in the 7mag.If you cannot get your rifle to shoot good with this stuff,it needs more than load work.This is what I'm loading,as said before,work up,every rifle is different,I have one that has a Douglas barrel and it likes about one grain less than my Remington or Winchester.These are @ or near max. 140gr bullets 69.5grs,150gr bullets 68.5grs,160gr bullets 66.0grs,175gr bullets 63.0grs.

Can't post any pics, cuz I don't have any. Back in the day when I was shooting a 7mmRM I had great success with 150NBT's and a box car full of good old H-4831. The farthest any critter made it was 2 good jumps. Shot the same load in the NC state games and took home a Bronze.

Back