8mm NBT

Aussie steve

Beginner
Apr 9, 2015
I have an 8mm RM that I love, and I have a few boxes of 180gn NBT's that I'd love touse in it. I can get these bullets out at 3400fps from my 26" bbl, my question is what size game would these bullets handle at that speed? Would they work OK on Red deer, or feral pigs, or am I better off loading them for smaller game like goats where ranges are longer?

Are they a toughly constructed bullet for a BT or are they more on the fragile side?

Regards

Steve

I'm not sure on the construction on that bullet but I'm thinking you may be better off with an AB or PT as most of the BT's launched at that speed tend to get pretty beat up.

Look in the Bullet test forum there is some 8mm RM test in there as well as some test on some 30 cals at that velocity to give an idea of how they perform.

Welcome Steve tell us a little about your rifles and be sure to include pictures!!

As with all cup and core bullets, I'd be cautious about pushing the Ballistic Tips beyond ~3100 fps terminal velocity.

I nvbroncrider (I once was a bronc rider too!) I have several rifles, mostly custom jobs.
As everybody should, I have a good .22. I have a 1957 model 2 Brno, with a Richards laminated stock, and a Green mountain barrel. The rifle was a rabbit shooters and has fired hundreds and hundreds of thousands of rounds ( wore the barrel out LOL), so the action is super slick. I also had it trued and a rem 700 style recoil lug added, and a block soldered under the tang to take a second take down screw. It's very accurate too I might add.

I have a 17 AH built on a 1949 Brno ZKW 465 action with a Pac-nor No 2 contour super match grade barrel. I use this as my rabbit rifle and fox whistling gun, shooting 20gn dogtown bullets at 3400fps, It also shoots 20gn Vmax at 3800fps to the same POI.

There is a Rem 700 BDL .222 with a stainless Sprinter barrel, shooting 40gn bullets at 3750fps.

I also have another Rem 700 BDL, this is fitted with a TSE stainless barrel 26" long, chambered for my wildcat .22/.204AI. To make that I used a .223AI reamer and ran it in to headspace off .204 brass. It's very close to the .22/250. This rifle has been fully trued to benchrest standards, and it shoots very very well.

I made another widecat I used a 244 Rem AI reamer and ran it in 3mm deeper, I use 25/06 cases and am shooting 70gn SKB's at 3800fps from a 26" barrel

Next is a Rem 700 BDL mountain rifle stock standard.

There is a Rem 700 BDL 8mm Rem mag, fitted with a 26" sprinter barrel, I slimmed the stock down so that the rifle weights a handy 8.5lbs loaded ready to go.

The last rifle is a new to me P-H 416 Taylor, but I can't tell much about it as it's still in the post to me.

I have also had a few other customs, a 6-284, a 17mkIV, a .17/.223AI, a .416 Rigby, a 257 wby, .25/06, and a full blown custom .577NE built on a Ruger No 1.

I have learned quite a bit about ballistic tip bullets from doing crop damage control and shooting a lot of white tail deer. KEEP YOU IMPACT VELOCITY UNDER 3000 FPS. The 180 BT is a very accurate bullet in the 8x57 Mauser rifles I have shot it in. It does great on deer but I am running it at 2500 fps. For your 8 mag the 200 AccuBond would be best unless you are shooting at long range where the velocity of the 180 gr BT drops off to under 3000 fps.

Aussie steve":3b2m79dr said:
I nvbroncrider (I once was a bronc rider too!) I have several rifles, mostly custom jobs.
As everybody should, I have a good .22. I have a 1957 model 2 Brno, with a Richards laminated stock, and a Green mountain barrel. The rifle was a rabbit shooters and has fired hundreds and hundreds of thousands of rounds ( wore the barrel out LOL), so the action is super slick. I also had it trued and a rem 700 style recoil lug added, and a block soldered under the tang to take a second take down screw. It's very accurate too I might add.

I have a 17 AH built on a 1949 Brno ZKW 465 action with a Pac-nor No 2 contour super match grade barrel. I use this as my rabbit rifle and fox whistling gun, shooting 20gn dogtown bullets at 3400fps, It also shoots 20gn Vmax at 3800fps to the same POI.

There is a Rem 700 BDL .222 with a stainless Sprinter barrel, shooting 40gn bullets at 3750fps.

I also have another Rem 700 BDL, this is fitted with a TSE stainless barrel 26" long, chambered for my wildcat .22/.204AI. To make that I used a .223AI reamer and ran it in to headspace off .204 brass. It's very close to the .22/250. This rifle has been fully trued to benchrest standards, and it shoots very very well.

I made another widecat I used a 244 Rem AI reamer and ran it in 3mm deeper, I use 25/06 cases and am shooting 70gn SKB's at 3800fps from a 26" barrel

Next is a Rem 700 BDL mountain rifle stock standard.

There is a Rem 700 BDL 8mm Rem mag, fitted with a 26" sprinter barrel, I slimmed the stock down so that the rifle weights a handy 8.5lbs loaded ready to go.

The last rifle is a new to me P-H 416 Taylor, but I can't tell much about it as it's still in the post to me.

I have also had a few other customs, a 6-284, a 17mkIV, a .17/.223AI, a .416 Rigby, a 257 wby, .25/06, and a full blown custom .577NE built on a Ruger No 1.

Welcome aboard Steve. Very cool bunch of rifles! Not enough 8mm shooters around here. Check out our bullet test area and PLEASE add to it. No better way to see what works than pulling it outta the water jugs. Scotty

SJB358":3fia25bo said:
Welcome aboard Steve. Very cool bunch of rifles! Not enough 8mm shooters around here. Check out our bullet test area and PLEASE add to it. No better way to see what works than pulling it outta the water jugs. Scotty

I'll have to do some testing, I have a few jugs laying around. I had a .340Wby and I loved it, but it was too heavy for what I wanted, so I traded it in and brought a custom 8mm RM. My rifle weighs in at 8.5 Lbs loaded ready to go which I think is not a bad weight. I like the fact I can load my 8mm with 250's and shoot them faster than a .338WM or load 180's and shoot them as fast as a 300 Wby. I am also very lucky because my 2 standard loads (195gn Hornady and 200gn TSX) shoot to the same POI, and the 180gn NBT load is 1" at 100 higher. So by dialling down 4 clicks I can shoot 3 different loads for vastly different game :grin:

That old 8mm Rem Mag is a cooker. Rifle sounds perfect as well. That would make a heckuva hammer on the mountains. Have you tried any of the 200 ABs?

I have tried the 200 AB's though not on game. I think I had then doing 3150fps or thereabouts in my rifle.

The rifle is meant to be portable yet still hit hard at extended ranges, a bit like a sheep rifle but for bigger deer.

Back