8mm Rem Mag Range Report

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
8mm Rem Mag Range Report - 220gr Sierra SBT, RL-25 and RL-22, Rem brass, Rem 9 1/2M primers, OAL 3.600", Velocity 3009fps

341f0396.jpg

It was an awesome and interesting morning to say the least and the 8mm Rem Mag is a beast at both ends. Anyone who says he likes to shoot an 8mm Rem Mag at the bench for more than 21-25 rounds has something truly wrong with them. Now that said, I am use to a 340Wby without a break shooting 225gr bullets which generates 43.0ft pounds of free recoil. The velocity of recoil though is just a tad slower than the 8mm Rem Mag even though marginal I felt the difference. Here are the stats on the free recoil and velocity of recoil for the 8mm Rem Mag with a 220gr Sierra SBT moving 3009fps on the average.

Cartridge: 8mm Rem Mag
Firearm: Remington 700
Load and Firearm Info:
Bullet Dia (in): 0.323
Case Length (in): 2.850
Case Volume (gr H2O):
93.5 Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 3009
Bullet Wt (gr): 220
Charge Weight (gr): 86
Barrel Length (in): 24
Firearm Weight (lb): 8.50
Free recoil energy is 42.1 ft-lb. (57.1 Joule)

FACTOIDS:
Free recoil velocity is estimated to be 18 ft/sec. (5.4 m/sec)
(This is equivalent to dropping the 8.50 lb gun from a height of 5 feet.)
The free recoil volocity is gained in only 0.14 in (3.6 mm) of travel
Recoil impulse is 4.7 lbf-sec (21 Newton-sec)
Powder gases generate about 38 percent of the total recoil impulse & velocity

Now the recoil thing out of the way - I found RL-25 to give me higher velocities for max load in my rifle over RL-22. Also, it gave me better accuracy, better extreme spread and better deviation. Now this is not a bench gun, it is a purer hunting rifle. My last group was actually the fastest velocity wise and also the best accuracy. Temps were low 80's with 91% humidity and my elevation was 105ft above sea level.

Here is the average velocity and group size of the max load of RL-22 in my 8mm Rem mag. and group size was 1.2"
44710a9f.jpg

95760b3e.jpg

Here is the average velocity and group size of the max load of RL-25 in my 8mm Rem mag. and group size was .866", Extreme spread 20 Deviation 10
Note: (this was my last group shot for the day, and recoil was taking its toll and I was still getting use to my trigger, so this is in my opinion a good load for hunting)
8f6ba0cb.jpg

c439473e.jpg

top velocity of the day
37c69c67.jpg

All and all I am very excited about the 8mm Rem Mag in a fine rifle to use on big game. It is evident that anything hit with this 8mm Rem Mag will die quickly if not immediately depending on shot placement, but this beast will end the life of any beast hit with it and more than likely be DRT. Very impressive cartridge. Yes I can't wait to hunt with it.

AWESOME MIKE!!!! Man, that was what I was waiting for! Way to GO! Now that sir is a HAMMER! 338's eat your hearts out!

Mike, thanks for posting that, I was waiting for it to pop up today! That big 220 would clean out on anything! WOW, what an elk rifle. Now I know why Bill covets that 8mm Rem of his! Great shooting. I imagine it is a beast.

Very good, Mike. As always, great photography adds so very much to your work up.

thanks Mike, I did not get a chance to test a 220gr in some water jugs due to range use, but will soon and I am sure that will make Scotty happy.

bullet":34hbtldf said:
thanks Mike, I did not get a chance to test a 220gr in some water jugs due to range use, but will soon and I am sure that will make Scotty happy.

Darnit! That was the 2nd thing I was excited to see today! Ah well, there is always tomorrow. :grin:

SJB358":18k41vct said:
AWESOME MIKE!!!! Man, that was what I was waiting for! Way to GO! Now that sir is a HAMMER! 338's eat your hearts out!

Mike, thanks for posting that, I was waiting for it to pop up today! That big 220 would clean out on anything! WOW, what an elk rifle. Now I know why Bill covets that 8mm Rem of his! Great shooting. I imagine it is a beast.

Yes, this truly is a hammer indeed, and because of range use today I could not test the bullet in water jugs but will soon.

Mike

Great shooting, they do recoil sharply as you mentioned. It will be a fine rifle for everything in NA. Great post thanks for the info !!!

Elkman":1ok2fiku said:
Mike

Great shooting, they do recoil sharply as you mentioned. It will be a fine rifle for everything in NA. Great post thanks for the info !!!

Thanks elkman, I am looking forward to shooting that load again, and will be much more ready for the recoil and the trigger which is awesome. I really like this cartridge and rifle to say the least.

bullet":dkqk8frp said:
Elkman":dkqk8frp said:
Mike

Thanks elkman, I am looking forward to shooting that load again, and will be much more ready for the recoil and the trigger which is awesome. I really like this cartridge and rifle to say the least.

I am still a little jealous of you Mike. You got a killer combo with that rifle. It should knock the stuffing out of bears or them poor deer in your AO!

SJB358":3vvvbf2i said:
bullet":3vvvbf2i said:
Elkman":3vvvbf2i said:
Mike

I am still a little jealous of you Mike. You got a killer combo with that rifle. It should knock the stuffing out of bears or them poor deer in your AO!

All right to be a little jealous, I have been jealous of some of your stuff also, or should I say I suffered from a little envy, yeah, that is it. Yes, this will pound just as hard with a 220gr grain bullet as a 340Wby will with a 225gr bullet, and that my friend is saying a lot indeed.

A friend said this of the 220gr Sierra -

"I had contacted Sierra about the 220gr GameKing for my "Little 8" (325wsm). They call it their "Long Range" bullet. Long boat tail. They said they designed it specifically for the Big 8, that it has a thicker jacket than most other GK's. I load it to 2800fps in my Little 8 and shot a griz with it at 165yds. Complete pass throughs one of which shattered the spine first and exited the above his belly. I did'nt find and pieces of jacket etc. Nothing to indicate the bullet came apart. At least at that velocity the 220GK held up well."

Very cool Mike. The more you shoot and use it the more you'll love it for it's power and cool factor.

How many grains of RL-22 and RL-25 did you try?

Bill

OU812":akdnu3fu said:
Very cool Mike. The more you shoot and use it the more you'll love it for it's power and cool factor.

How many grains of RL-22 and RL-25 did you try?

Bill

Due to the heat and humidity today, I was able to reach Sierra's max with RL-22 of 80.9, but with RL-25 Sierra's max was 87grs and I was only able to reach 86grs and that became max. If I find myself in 90 degree plus weather hunting I will lower the charge to 84grs, but the 86grs should work just fine for anything under 85 degree, so that is where i will leave that load. As is, it gives me 4422ft pounds of energy at muzzle and 2000 ft pounds out to 593yds, man what a hammer.

Great shooting and a great rifle caliber. I had one for a while but never actually hunted with it. Darn. I wimped out and had them put a muzzle brake on it while I was doing the 10 day, Kalifornia feel good waiting period. That's a beauty of a rifle for sure and power galore.

thanks and yes, power for sure and on top of that a good looking hunting rifle.

Greg is right that is one nice looking set up ya got there Mike. She has the looks and the brawn.

Are there only 2 of us here that own a 8mm rem mag? Much smaller group than the Whelen gang.

Bill

FOTIS":15wv71ga said:
What a hammer!

Hey Fotis you need one of these 8mm rem mags. :lol: The one Mike has sure is a great looking rifle maybe you could find one like it? :mrgreen:

Bill

Looks like we are now up to 3 of us now. Nice group boomer68, shooting 220 Sierras as well?

Bill

Back