8x57 questions

G

Regarding the 8x57 Nosler Custom ammo, why the low velocities? In your #5 manual, you show the 200gr Partition loaded to a max charge velocity of 2698fps, but your ammo only generates 2450? I understand start charge versus max charge, but is it really 250fps different? And I also notice that your 180gr stuff is going just over 2600, which is closer to the max in your #5 manual. Just curious if I should do something different with my handloads based on some new pressure data you have.

They do that to keep the chamber perssure down Because their's alot of old militrary rifles out thier that can't handle the higher perssure the newer rifles can. The Nosler #5 Reloading Guide will tell you more.

Buckfever is part correct. Old military rifles are definately a concern, but another concern is accuracy. Who cares how fast a bullet is going if you can't hit what you are aiming at? The velocity is dictated by available rifles and accuracy on the 8x57.

Roger that on accuracy, Nosler3. I am getting about the same from mid charge on up, with a mild shrinking of groups from lowest to highest charge. That's a tough problem to have, the faster it goes, the tighter the groups! I appreciate the explanation. I just didn't want to be bucking over pressure with my handloads, if there was new information out there that hadn't made the #5 Manual. I see I can relax, which is what I thought in the first place.

Back