9.3 X 62mm vs. .375 H&H & .375 Ruger

That doe look like a workhorse of a rifle right there.

Those old Enfield's are really strong actions and that one of yours is one of the nicer sporter conversions that I have seen. Plus, the 9.3x62 will certainly get the job done.

You can load it with stripper clips, Its fairly heavy but it is easy to carry because you can hold it in the middle so it balances well. I also have a remington 700 rear weaver base bolted and epoxied into the left side of the forend for a light mount. It works really good in that position because the fringe of the beam lights up the front sight really well and center of light beam is also center of impact at 25-30 feet.

329f2031.jpg

31756757.jpg

I have the same setup on my 375 rum. You would think that it would catch your hand during recoil but it hasn't happened yet on either rifle, and the 375 rum only wieghs 7 lbs 10 oz.

I like the idea of a weaver base there. Very functional piece of equipment with endless uses.

I have considered pumping up my 1917 into a .35, 9.3 or a .375 many times - but my son sure likes it as is. Looks like a B&C stock on your rifle Thebear_78. Have a B&C on mine as well, for about the last 10 years. Works out real well.

When it came to getting a bigger-bore rifle to replace my .45/70, I wanted something that would reach out and touch game well at 250 - 300+ yards if necessary. Lucked into a really nice shooting .375 H&H Number One, and I couldn't be happier with it. Carries well, shoots great, and I can load it up to factory levels or above - or back it down to very mild levels. The .375, even with max level loads, has proven surprisingly easy for me to shoot well.

Glad I like it, since I managed to scrape up about 900 bullets for the doggone thing. I think I could hunt for a couple of lifetimes without ever buying another bullet for it!

Regards, Guy

Thebear_78, Did you re-bore the original barrel or replace it?

TBASTIAN, the .375 works GREAT on bears. Lets lots of blood out and lots of air in. Flattened the one I shot at a tad over 300 yards. Much credit to the 260 gr Nosler AccuBond that shoots as flat as a .30-06 load!

I hope to use it on elk as well as bear in the future! Why not?

Guy

I replaced it with a Douglas barrel of similar contour. It is a bc medalist stock but I had to lower the comb to use the open sights. Those 1917 actions are huge, I'm rr barreling another one to 458 Lott.

Thanks for the info. They are great actions. I've thought of buying up several "sporterized" versions and building my own little armory of 1917 based hunting rifles. Love the safety. Timney trigger in mine. Still have the original military barrel, but cut to 21" to improve handling. Sure works well...

I think a .25-06, .30-06, and a bigger bore, say a .35 Whelen, 9.3 or a .375 of some sort would be a great trio.

Am probably going to have to buy my youngest son a .30-06 of his own to get "my" 1917 back! He's taken two bucks and a bear with it in the past couple of years.
IMG_5093.jpg

Guy

Great picture Guy! Seems like an awesome set up. Those actions are bank vaults, strength wise.

Great pic Guy,,,Congrats to him. But,,,,,boy I hate when the kids borrow stuff, and I have to jump hoops to get it back, lol.

Back