9,3x62 Accubond 250

Thanks DrMike,

I borrowed a 9.3x62 in South Africa last March and was impressed in how it performed for me on large, tough plains game species like blue wildebeest and greater kudu. So when I got my next stateside leave, I bought a 9.3x62 barrel for my Blaser R-93 Professional.

I work overseas in the oil industry and won’t spend enough time home to do any reloading until I retire in a few years. But, like Finn Aagard who spent years in an African country studying reloading in a country where it was illegal, I want to have all my ducks in a row when retirement day arrives.

I started reloading with a $9.95 Lee Loader in the mid ‘60’s and got my first press (an RCBS Rockchucker) in ’77. I plan on making Nosler Accubonds and Partitions my go-to bullets in at least 6 rifle calibers. So, having already settled on the bullet or bullets for each cartridge, I am now trying to plan for my powder magazine. I do not have a Nosler manual. I have many others – Sierra, Speer, etc – but all were bought before 1980.

The 9.3 X 62 is highly underrated in North America. It hits hard and puts game down with authority. Many rifles chambered in this cartridge can be quite accurate. I'm currently building a 9.3 X 64, which I hopefully will have available for spring black bear this year. I would encourage you to purchase a copy of the Nosler 6th Edition Handloading Guide if at all possible. It is a valuable resource. Because of changes in powder composition, improved testing methods and more precise equipment, each of the manuals have changed somewhat over the years--some significantly. Not all the changes are demanded by lawyers, but haver been dictated by prudence. You might also want to check out the Nosler Load Data available at http://www.nosler.com/Reloading-Data.aspx. It provides selected information on a large number of cartridges. I'm seeing more of the 9.3 X 62s going into the hands of knowledgable hunters here in northern BC. There must be something to the cartridge.

Brazos_Jack":12bj2g1f said:
Thanks DrMike,

I borrowed a 9.3x62 in South Africa last March and was impressed in how it performed for me on large, tough plains game species like blue wildebeest and greater kudu. So when I got my next stateside leave, I bought a 9.3x62 barrel for my Blaser R-93 Professional.

I have shot many kind of game with my 9,3x62 like Roe Deers, Whitetails, Wild Boars and moose, never had to look for blood trails because they drop quite quick with 9,3, of course shot placement is more important factor then the caliber. I have .243win, 7,62x54R, 30-06sprg, .300Wby and the 9,3x62 and more i shoot with the 9,3 the more i love it :)

With the 250 AccuBond I use 62.5 grains of 2208 (Varget) to get 2,642 fps from my 25" barrel.

This is a max load and I only use it for longer range shooting (250 yards+) in new Lapua brass with standard LR primers.

Code4,

Welcome to the forum. It will be good to have you on board. Sounds like a healthy punch you've found with that load. What sort of groups is it giving you? If you get a chance, post a picture of your rifle and some of the shooting.

That does sound like an excellent load in the 9.3! Some really serious power and should hold up well down range too! Scotty

My friend had awesome luck with Reloder 15. 2550 fps and 1 hole groups at 100 yards from his CZ.

I can only agree with you guys! The 9,3x62 is excelent for larger game - but as written it's not that tough on smaller game either!

I use it (in a Blaser R93 w. 57cm barrel) for wildboar in Sweden, were they can get pretty big. The 9,3x62 knocks them down with authority! Only pig I had to search for was shot with a 232 grains Norma Oryx - total penetration from front to rear (aprox. 1 meter + of pig!!!!). It fliped around and landed on it's back...and then took of like nothing had happend...found it 100 meters from the spot were it was shot.

Now i'm using Speer HotCor 270 grains loaded in Lapua brass with CCI200 primers and 58 grains of Norma 202. Gives a Vo of aprox. 740 m/s...Haven't had to search for the pigs since :mrgreen:

D.

I tried 65grs VV N550 with CCI250 primers col 3.33" From 580mm Sako barrel it gave 2608fps and group was about 0.5" from 75 meters. I think I'll try to get some more velocity out of it :) Some guys here squeezed 2770fps from a Browning BAR with N540 and CCI250 primers :shock:

Kuula,

You're getting near the upper end of anticipated velocity with a safe charge. QL projects that you will require about three grains more powder to gain 370 ft-lbs of energy (~500 Joule). I'd be inclined to work carefully as you are near the apex of your pressure curve. You're already generating almost 3900 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle, which should be enough for most game in North America and/or Europe.

Back