9.3x62 Mauser

Transvaal

Beginner
Aug 3, 2006
I searched the forum but could'nt find anything posted?

It is one of the best big game cartridges in South Africa provided that you stick to 250m.
Anybody that used it in the US?
The 35Whelen is quite popular so I think the 9.3 would also be a success!

The 35 Whelen has really picked up in popularity after Remington brought out their M700 Classic in 1988 along with factory ammo. Nosler introduced the 225 gr PT in 1990 which gave Whelen fans a true premium bullet.
The 9.3's are not that popular here in the USA, even though Nosler has a few offerings. This was made possible by Mr. Chub Eastman of Nosler.

JD338

Here in Sweden is the 9,3x62 very common for biggame hunting...and it have been popular from 1950 to the present..

Ihave a (husqvarna) M98 military style from 1953...works great!!

If the Mauser Waffenfabrik wasn't destroyed during ww2 it would have been a hit and still leading the 375H&H

It's light on the shoulder, light on your pocket, heavy on your target.

The most popular load is a 286gr softnose at 2350fps, and with local manufacturer Rhino bullets making a 300gr you get even better penetration on the big stuff. They make a solid shank but soft nose bullet that has excellent penetration and high weight retention!

Somewhere between an Partition HG and BarnesX

Anybody that has any experience with the cartridge

I think if Ruger where to chamber one of their rifles in It it would be a major hit!

The Cartridge is used in Norway to. Old European Cartridge this, maybe new to most American hunters. Due to bullet velocity and trajectory the Cartridge is often considered a short range Cartridge, for hunting in the timber. Maybe thats the reason it`s not that common in the US. Not first choise for hunting on American wide open plains.
In timber, distance up to maximum 100 / 150 meters its king of the hill !
And check out B`C and SD, compared to the 300 g .375 bullet.

I have a new 9.3x64 brenneke on the way. That being said, the 9.3x62 is a fine round as well and more popular that the Brenneke. The reason I chose the 9.3 bore was the because it is the perfect balance of bullet weight, speed, and frontal area; at least it is perfect to me. Being able to launch bullets from 196 - 293 grains at suitable velocity gives the 9.3x62 wonderful versatility. I really prefer the 250 grain pills. In my opinion, the 9.3x62 is the finest round that can be chambered in an unmodified 30-06 action when heavy-duty critters are being hunted. Too bad that 2 World Wars never allowed such a well balanced round to become popular on this side of The Pond. For those not familiar with this round think of it as an improved 35 Whelen; except that is was around long before the Whelen.

Transvaal,

I haven't hunted with my CZ 550 in 9.3x62 here in the States but I did use it in August 2005 in South Africa. See this thread:
http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpbb2/v ... php?p=5634

While I have several medium bore rifles (8x57JS, .338 Win Mag, .35 Whelen, .375 H&H), the 9.3x62 has become one of my favorites. Bullet selection is ample here in the US and brass for handloading is readily available (at least via Internet shopping). It's a great, classic cartridge as I'm sure you know. It's a shame that it has never become more well known and popular in North America.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

I have used the 9.3x62 and the 9.3x64 in Austria,Canada and Australia on everything from the tiny Roebuck to Stags,Moose,wild Boars (54 of them) Bears and back down again to Mule and Whitetails.Both of them are one of the most effiecient calibers i have used.Now i use the 9.3x64 most of the time,but looking around for a CZ550 fullstock in 9.3x62 for big Whitetails here in Canada.I can only recommend anyone to try either one,as you wont be disappointed.I would love to see Nosler come out with a 250gr AccuBond and things would just be perfect.

I've handeled the CZ550 in the 9.3 and the fit,balance and feel is excellent!
I.ve bought a locally manufactured one from VEKTOR, it has a VEKTOR barrel and is built on a K98 Mauser action.

I've hunted frequently with a 303 and 308 Winchester as well as 300H&H and none of them can even come close to the 9,3 in on game performance. I know it's not a fair comparison but what a cartrigde!!
If it doesn't knock them of their feet it they only manage a few metres before going down.
On badly placed shots it also leaves great blood spoor!

I can only agree with you.The only game that ever made more than 20 yards after being hit was a big old whitetail buck in the rut,last year.He got shot about one and a half handwith behind the shoulderblade,but what a bloodtrail.It looked like someone sprayed it around with a bucket.I was quiet amazed ,as the exithole was not bigger than thumbnail.I get enamoured with those 250 gr Ballisitic-Tips more and more,since my Steyr loves those Nosler bullets.

I'm quite sad to see so few hunters shoot the 9.3!

This cartridge is the only cartridge that no controversy was raised over.
It;s reliabilty with standard bullets is boring, with premium bullets guaranteed!

If I had to to buy 2 big game rifles for hunting in africa it would be a 338WM for the longer shots or maby an 8x68s, and for the shorter ranges a 9.3x62. The 9.3x64 is a bit more versatile for the longer shots but here in South Africa lots of guys download the 9.3x64 to 9.3x62 specs

Sako introduced a 9.3x66 rifle about 3 years ago that shoot bullets of the same weight at the same velocity as the 375H&H, but has higher sectional density that almost equals better penetration

I recently picked up a CZ550 in 9.3X62. I thought it might make a dandy close range elk rifle. I put on a Swarovski scope with Talley rings and mounts- this baby shoots 250 grain ballistic tips into cloverleafs at 100 yards. And the recoil is very mild. I think I like this rifle....

My buddy had one in a CZ. With the NBT's it would do 1 hole at 100 yds all day long!

I have heard that Nosler is discontinuing the 9.3mm 250 grain ballistic tip :( I can only hope that they come out with a 9.3 AccuBond soon!
Of course, I have not had a chance to load any 286 grain partitions yet. THAT should be a good load for elk!! :grin:

340boy":27o64sca said:
I have heard that Nosler is discontinuing the 9.3mm 250 grain ballistic tip :( I can only hope that they come out with a 9.3 AccuBond soon!
:

Cano not say for sure but this is Nosler's trend.

They dissed the 225 35 cal BT and 375 260 gr. made a 260 375 AB, and now are coming out with the 225 35 cal AB . :wink:

BFaucett convinced me to buy a CZ mannlicher stocked model. The ballistics say it is just a small step away from 375H&H power in a 35 Whelen necked up .009" in a standard length action. Dies and brass are cheap from Old Western Scrounger, LLC. Nosler makes the heavy huting bullet, and casting my own is a snap. The 9.3x62 may just be THE best all around under 300yard hunting rifle out there.

Rich

Back