A bear finally

Cneelk

Beginner
Dec 23, 2021
After 27 years of being in Washington state it finally happened. 260 yard shot 338 rum 250 grain nosler AccuBond 96.8 of retumbo with fed gm 215 primers. My first bear by myself. I got to my spot at 530 pm was hot as I sat in the shade. At 6 pm he strolled through the berries and gave me my shot. Boom whoop flop and that was it. Never new what hit him as he was walking . Bullet took him right below the ear and that was a wrap. So excited and super blessed. Thanks to everyone on the forum with load data and experience. There is no price on knowledge. Called in two guys from work who helped with the pack out. Can we get all mondays to start like this.

Attachments

• IMG_3149.jpeg
    IMG_3149.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3153.jpeg
    IMG_3153.jpeg
    874.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3157.jpeg
    IMG_3157.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 32
Congrats, hopefully you didn’t mess your skull up too badly. A euro bear skull is a really nice trophy. Now you will have some fine eating. My favorite things to do with bear is Al pastor style in a vertical spit or canned with jalapeño slices in garlic and southwest seasoning. It also makes a fine burger if you mix it with 20% bacon ends. Don’t forget to render the fat down. There is no finer an oil for seasoning a cast iron.

A sus vide is a great way to make a backstrap. Using the temp time chart below you can safely cook it without going well done. After cooking the seasoned backstrap cut into chops and sear quickly in a hot cast iron.
IMG_6243.jpeg
I used almost that same load in my 338 rum. What a hammer on big game!

Last edited:
Congratulations on your bear.
That 338 RUM load looks familiar. And yes indeed it is a hammer.

JD338

Congratulations on your first solo bear. It sounds like you put a lot of preparation into this hunt with load development and planning.

Congratulations! He's a good looking bear and being into the berries he'll be excellent eating.

Back