A day of some shooting

Rigbymauser

Handloader
Nov 3, 2012
My friend Leo & I went some funshooting here yesterday in his plantation where he had set up a little range.

Here is my Mauser 66 from 1969 in 6,5x68S. I did a velocitytest first with a new first load.
68grain Norma MRP + 125grain Nosler Par. Vo= 990 m/sec(3247 ft/sec). I later did some shooting with ironsights as I haven´t yet scoped this rifle. At 135meters I could keep 3 shots within a silverdollar. I was very surprised of the mild recoil and the accuracy of this lightweighted thinbarreled rifle.

My old Marlin 1893 in .30-30 went too:

The Marlin did remarkable well. Accuracy using ammunition from Remington the 150grain proved a tad above more accurate than 150grain Winchester silvertips. As much as I like the Silvertip for looks and name the cheaper Remington did best.

My friend Leo wanted to shoot his old Holland & Holland .500 BPE

I will post later some more pictures of target groups from the . Marlin and Mauser.

That 6.5x68 is a beautiful rifle along with the other two as well. That 500 looks AWESOME from the front!

I have to agree with Scotty that 6.5 is a very good looking rifle and spending time at any range is always a good day (y).
Thank you for the post :wink: & photos!!

Blessings,
Dan

I did a few experimental shots with my .577/500 using a Degol .435grainbullet made for the .500 Linebaugh. Here two cartridges.One with the short fat Degol bullet and a one with a 440grain Woodleigh bullet. The cheaper Degol bullets proved not be very succesful. Shot too high and very difficult to reload. The RCBS seaterdie had a difficult to crimp them.

Here a shot group done with the Marlin 1893 in.30-30 at 135meters

Here the same rifle at 80meters. The Marlin shot 15" too high at 80meter and the buckhorn elevator was on lowest setting.

Here the Mauser 66 at 135meters using iron sights

I am a fan of the 6.5X68. It is on a list of rifles that I must own before I pass to my reward. A thing of beauty that has failed to gain the respect it deserves this side of the pond.

I'll likely build it on a Model 70 FN action, just as I did when I built the 8X68S.

Back