A different kind of rifle.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Something completely unexplored for me. A buddy of mine that I grew up with and got in a lot of trouble with, and lives on a farm nearby yet today that I can see from my house, got started years ago building flintlocks. I know nothing about them, but as time went on, even I could look at them and see he was getting really good at it. About 2 yrs ago he told me he was done building any. He still shoots a lot, but the novelty of building them had worn off, and they took too much time to build.

I went to him last yr and told him I need you to build 1 more. I want a flintlock rifle you built. He buys logs from local mills when 1 comes in once in a while with curl and figure in it. Gets them cut into square cants, dries them in his shed for months, then gets them kiln dried, then cut into stock blanks, then cut into whatever style he's building, and finishes them out and puts them together.

This is an Isaac Haines style stock. A master gun builder local to this area from the second half of the 1700's.

My buddy done me right. He told me it was the nicest section in the whole log and a lot of tight curl that he doesn't run into very often. Beautiful piece of curled hard maple in my opinion.

Don't know jack squat about flintlocks. Just going off what he told me. Isaac Haines stock. Rice barrel, which he says will shoot better than I can, can't remember what lock and trigger are on it. The brass on it needs aged yet, but it's just what I wanted and will be a terrific keepsake built by him.

Couple pics of the left side.

Right side is even better on the heavy part of the stock.

Curl runs all the way up on the bottom as well.

Wow, that is a beautiful rifle!

Any plans to shoot it in the future?

Absolutely. Will hunt with it also, it was made to use. Don't know if I'll get around to messing with it enough to hunt with it this yr for sure. I got a whole lot going on this yr, but definitely plan to hunt with it. We got an early muzzleloader season here where inline muzzleloaders are legal, but I've never participated, so I could use this flintlock then, as well as a late flintlock season that's after rifle.

He definitely did some beautiful work on selecting and prepping the stock. He done ya' proud! (y)

Stunning piece of work. This style makes for a very well handling hunting rifle. The 54 will take care of anything you care to hunt for bear or deer even elk. Rice barrels are great shooters and smooth as a baby behind inside. Built one like this from Track of the Wolf parts only brown steel mounted. You're going to love hunting with this. Don't stare at it too much and let the deer get by you:D Dan.

Thanks fella's. Certainly wasn't 1 of my cheapest rifles, parts have gone up. But it turned out to be a piece worth having. 100 yrs from now if the world is still turning it will be something that will be picked up and admired I'd imagine. Came from a local piece of wood and local hands which means something to me also.

Dan suggested to me to get a list of the parts used and have it signed for historical documentation down the road. That's good advice on thinking ahead I'd say.

"Came from a local piece of wood and local hands which means something to me also." Yup- that right there- Mercy but that's a pretty piece of Maple! Hope you enjoy shooting and learning about it. CL

Oh my……….saying you have a beautiful rifle just doesn’t do it justice. You’ll be very surprised at the accuracy after you get used to the delay in ignition. There’s follow through needed with them. It’s NOWHERE near what is shown by Hollywood but there’s a difference from modern lock times. I love that there’s another sportsman venturing into traditional muzzleloaders. You can hunt anything you want with your new baby. I also know there’s an issue with supplies. With it being a flintlock you’ll need to use real black powder. Substitutes can be very inconsistent in a flinders. PM me and I’ll help.

Oh my……….saying you have a beautiful rifle just doesn’t do it justice. You’ll be very surprised at the accuracy after you get used to the delay in ignition. There’s follow through needed with them. It’s NOWHERE near what is shown by Hollywood but there’s a difference from modern lock times. I love that there’s another sportsman venturing into traditional muzzleloaders. You can hunt anything you want with your new baby. I also know there’s an issue with supplies. With it being a flintlock you’ll need to use real black powder. Substitutes can be very inconsistent in a flinders. PM me and I’ll help.

Thank You.

I shot 1 of his rifles a while back now..........maybe 5 or 6 yrs ago. I was highly impressed with the accuracy. Hitting little soda cans and the like time after time off hand at 50 yds, and on the bench it seemed extremely accurate. Don't remember what caliber it was or anything like that.

I haven't looked into supplies at all yet, but I'll have to learn from my buddy what he's recommending and go from there I guess.

I was told by my buddy to oil this rifle every couple of days for now to stop the rust bluing process on all the barrel and lock parts. So had it out this morning to oil it for the second time.

Took a couple more pics just to show some of the detail of the little things.

First is the front sight. It's flush mounted tight on top and sides, to give it a clean look. He said it could be moved if it had to be, but we will sight it in by bending the barrel where needed. Seems strange to me, but he said that's how they do it.

Next is just a pic showing some of the inletting. Tight enough to be clean looking, but enough clearance to allow for changes in the wood. Particularly where needed at places like the rear tang.

Last is a pic of the inlet work on what I call the ram rod holders. That's likely not the correct name for them. Nice job on these also. They extend up into the stock and are held in place by small pins through the wood.

Classic black powder rifles are beautiful things, and Issac Haines was an excellent designer to copy. Love the shape of these guns. That is a very special rifle. Your buddy did you a good one.

Thank You.

I shot 1 of his rifles a while back now..........maybe 5 or 6 yrs ago. I was highly impressed with the accuracy. Hitting little soda cans and the like time after time off hand at 50 yds, and on the bench it seemed extremely accurate. Don't remember what caliber it was or anything like that.

I haven't looked into supplies at all yet, but I'll have to learn from my buddy what he's recommending and go from there I guess.
Dixon's muzzleloading shop in Kempton, PA has a lot of stuff if that is anywhere close to you. Went to Dixon's Fair there once and it was like the Shriners convention of muzzleloading. Dan.

That rifle is beautiful! And a 54 cal soft lead ball is awfully effective on game...

My traditional muzzle loader is just a 1990's Thompson Center percussion rifle, in 50 cal. It did a fine job on a couple of mule deer. Not even in the same league with this wonderful rifle you've shared.

Regards, Guy

Back