A Kimber Montana, Pro's & Cons

G'Day again,

I forgot to mention that each shot fired in this group, was fired in between thoroughly cleaning out the rifles barrel!
It appears I have almost run-in this barrel, as there is now very little copper jacket fouling left in the bore, after firing each single shot!!!
Yes, I am looking forward to working up a Maximum Safe Working Load (MSWL), and seeing what else I can achieve, with bullet seating depth....

Doh!
Homer

You have every reason to be a happy camper. I would agree that this rifle is just about what anyone would want. Fine shooting and a most satisfying group, Homer. Congratulations. The rifle should only get better from this point.

Thank you for the story, it is very satisfying when your loads & rifle come together :wink:
Keep up the great work.

Blessings,
Dan

I had 2 of them both in 270 WSM. Both went back with accuracy issues and both came back with accuracy issues. Both were sold and never messed with these rifles again.

Very nice Homer. I am liking the 25-06 quite alot myself and yours looks to be a true one holer! Very slick rifle as well. I love the lines on those Kimbers.

G'Day Fella's,

Fotis and SJB358, the Kimber rifles I have seen down here, seem to shoot OK!
The situation is, there aren't a lot of them around these parts of Australia!!!
An American fella (Ripp) that I have spoken to on the www.NitroExpress.com forum asked me about how mine was shooting as like you FOTIS, he had heard both Good and Bad things from different people.

Also, something that is a bit unusual for me (this will let you know how busy I've been), the only thing I have done to this Kimber rifle, is lap the bolt locking lugs!
Other than that, she's out of the box!!!
Normally I would have pulled it all apart, degreased and re oiled it, do a trigger job on it, polished up any sharp edges in the magazine area, polished the feed ramp etc....
I've been that busy, I haven't even pulled the metal work out of the stock!
I need to remove a small amount of stock material from either side of the trigger guard, and also from the bottom of the barrel channel at the very end of the forend tip.

As I have probably mentioned here before, I aint NO bench rest shooter but this rifle seems so easy to shoot well, just as it is.
In the .25-06 chambering (with slightly reduced loads), there is bugger all recoil!
I have more spinal injuries than I have Fingers and Thumbs, and I flinch like a bastard but this rifle just seems very easy to shoot well!!!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

I shot probably fifteen to twenty Kimber rifles that had been rebarrelled. They delivered two to three (and worse) MOA out of the box, and they delivered two to three (or worse) MOA after rebarrelling. Eventually, Kimber worked out the problems (appeared to have been a QC problem that let faulty crowns slip by). I was less concerned with the problems encountered than with the attitude toward customers that had dropped a fair coin on the rifles who were dismissed as though two to three (or worse) MOA was about what was to be expected with a Kimber. Handsome rifles, but the attitudes toward customers soured me for many years to come. I am glad they are delivering a quality product now. They undoubtedly drove off quite a number of people during that period.

Looks good Homer. Are you getting about 3100 fps with that load?

G'Day Fella's,

Dr Mike, it would seem that Kimber do have their "Stuff" together, as I'm over the moon with how this rifle shoots!
Vince and FOTIS, thank you for the kind words!!!

FOTIS, would you believe it, I haven't as yet chrono'd the loads for this rifle!
If I get a chance to get out for a shot this weekend, I'll take the chrono with me!
I'll also load up some increased loads in 1/2 grain increments from 52.5 up to...... and see what results I get!!!
Stay Tuned.........

Doh!
Homer

Homer, I've owned a Kimber Montana in .300WSM for roughly six years now and I'm extremely pleased with the groups it's produced with 180 grain bullets. It's wearing a Kahles 3X9 scope and the 200 yard groups are in the 1 1/4 inch area. It works extremely well on Elk and the weight makes it a pleasure to carry up and down the mountains in Colorado. Your choice of weaponry is absolutely correct. The best of luck with yours.

G'Day Fella's,

Big Rifle Man, thanks for your kind words!
Your Montana in .300 WSM makes one seriously awesome combination!!!
I have also looked at getting a bigger Kimber but not sure of what caliber at present?

Doh!
Homer

The only con to my Kimber Montana is that most of my other rifles don't see that much field time anymore. I love how light it is and the accuracy that I get out of it. I'll have it in hand again tomorrow out looking for a nice black bear to hopefully bring home.

G'Day Fella's,

AK Hunter, I'm please to hear you are also enjoying good accuracy with your Kimber rifle!
Yeah I know what you mean, I'm sure my other rifles are saying to each other "Does my Butt look Big in this Stock"???

Well earlier this week, I picked up a parcel from the Post Office over here.
When I first picked it up, I thought that the supplier had sent me an empty box!
That being the case, I gave the box a shake and sure-nuff, there was a rifle in it!!!
This one has been to see Jenny Craig!
Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• 036.JPG
    480.4 KB · Views: 845
  • 034.JPG
    364.2 KB · Views: 845
  • 032.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 845
  • 027.JPG
    522.8 KB · Views: 845
  • 026.JPG
    448.6 KB · Views: 845
  • 037.JPG
    292.3 KB · Views: 845
Very awesome mountain rifle Homer. That thing looks like a pleasure to carry in the hills.

Looks as if Jenny did quite a number on her. :grin: What does she weigh?

G'Day Fella's,

Thank you, it really is a sweet little light rifle!

In all the writing and posting of images, I did forget to mention that this is a mate of mine's/customers rifle!
I thought you good people might like to have a look at it, as there isn't a lot of close up images of this rifle about!

Dr Mike, I'm not sure of it's actual weight but Kimber state it weighs in at 4 lb 13 oz, I assume that's for the short action model (as pictured)!
It actually feels like your handling a .22 Rim Fire rifle!!!

Yes Jenny's Milling Machine has been busy but not as many area's as I would have thought?
This is not a criticism but there are only 3 short barrel flutes (12" to 14'" ish long) and there are a few other places you can remove material from on bolt action rifles!
I assume Kimber have done what they have, so as to maintain a good balance with this rifle?

Doh!
Homer

Attachments

• 028.JPG
    526.2 KB · Views: 839
  • 030.JPG
    739.8 KB · Views: 839
G'Day again,

I forgot to mention, the other Kimber bolt in the images, is mine from my .25-06, and it was included for a reason.
You can see that Kimber use the same Firing Pin Spring and Extractor on both their Long and Short action 84 series rifles!
This to me shows how much sitting down, discussing and thinking went on at Kimber, before their machines were switched on and these rifles were brought to market!!!
That to me shows a sign of thinking outside the box to a degree, and I think this is reflected in most Kimber firearms in general.

Doh!
Homer

Back