A Kimber Montana, Pro's & Cons

HomerOz

Handloader
Sep 13, 2012
G'Day Fella's,

I was away over the weekend for a hunt and some range work.
Whilst I seen a few Fallow Deer, and Skippy's, I didn't fire a shot.
Whilst I wasn't hunting with my new Kimber Montana in .25-06, I had it up at the range, running-in it's barrel!

I really do like most aspects of this hunting rifle but there are a couple of aspects, that I'm not happy with.
One is easily rectifiable the (trigger/stock situations), the other, the three position safety, isn't!

Most of the hunting I do, is stalk and snap shoot at game animals. Because of this, I really do like to have a safety that is positioned on the top tang of a firearm.
As you probably know, the Kimber has the best example (tight tolerance, between component parts), of a Winchester Model 70 three position safety, I have seen on a commercial rifle!
So the Pro's on the Kimber, far outnumber this thing for me!!!

The other Con, is the that the level of the synthetic stock, either side of the trigger/trigger guard, is about 2mm or 0.080" (3 x Hacksaw blade thicknesses) proud and interferes with my trigger finger, when I'm trying to shoot well!
Have a look at the attached images, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words!!!
This is an easy fix, as I will set the stock up in the milling machine and remove this excessive material.
I just need to assess the possibilities on this, as there are a couple of ways to achieve this!

I hope this, may be of some assistance, to others!

Doh!
Homer

Attachments

• 027.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 2,037
  • 028.JPG
    518.6 KB · Views: 2,037
  • 029.JPG
    467.9 KB · Views: 2,037
G'Day Fella's,

OK, I'm a Duffer!
I forgot to post this image!!!

Doh!
Homer

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    447.7 KB · Views: 2,032
It's been a while since I've messed with a Montana but wouldn't a shim under the trigger guard be easier?

Not sure the fiberglass stock would take to milling all that well.

A whim would work well as long as your screws are long enough and its an easy fix just cut an old credit card up. And use that.

If the action screws are long enough, I would add bedding under the trigger guard and raise it up to be flush. If the existing screws weren't long enough, a trip to the hardware store would solve the problem.Rick.

rick smith":1wmeawpm said:
If the action screws are long enough, I would add bedding under the trigger guard and raise it up to be flush. If the existing screws weren't long enough, a trip to the hardware store would solve the problem.Rick.

That's what I would do too..

Great looking rifle Homer. That thing is sweet! What loads were you shooting for break in?

I'll be third to say, as Rick & Scotty did, "Just bed it." Some devcon, marinetex, or even acraglas will work just fine, and will be as easy as trying to mill the stock. The results will likely be much nicer looking.

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for your nice comments and advice!

Unfortunately, the problem is that the radius of the trigger shoe, positions your trigger finger in a place, that will make it rub against the stock either side of the trigger.
So shimming out the trigger guard, won't actually change this!

I think (?) the only way to rectify this, is to remove some amount of stock material???
After I've worked this out and addressed this, I'll take and image and I'll post it here!

By the way, this Zeiss 3-9 x 40mm scope, has a Rapid Z 600 reticule, which (in THEORY) may help with the occasional long shot?
FYI, in hind sight, I could have used Talley Low rings on the rifle/scope set-up but the Medium Rings fitted, gives me a normal and comfortable cheek contact, with the butt stock!

Doh!
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

SJB358, sorry I read your post, and then promptly forgot to reply!

The Running-In load is with the old Nosler 100grn B/Tip bullets over a reduced charge of 50grns of ADI AR-2213 (I think this is the equivalent of either Hodgdon or IMR 4831?), and ignited by a CCI 250Mag Primer. If I remember correctly, this load was pushing the bullet at 2990fps ish.
This powder charge, is 4 grains under what I normally use in my Rem 700 .25-06 rifle.

So far, I have fired 9 of these Run-In loads thru this rifle, and it is just starting to reduce copper fouling!
So, I might fire another single shot and clean it and then start firing 2 shots and clean!

By the way, I have stopped using all other bore solvents as I now rely solely on Wipe Out brand, Patch Out bore solvent!
So far, I'm sold on this product!!!

I hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Pretty cool stuff Homer. How does it look so far on paper?

It'll be interesting to see how you take care of the trigger guard deal. Scotty

I'd still consider shimming the bottom metal out prior to grinding. You may find that without the two sharp edges to ride along your finger, you no longer notice it. If it works, you can just bed the bottom metal flush to the stock (which ~ought~ to be done at the factory on a $1000+ rifle, IMO, but that's another story entirely) and be done with it, without the hassle factor of grinding and trying to get everything even and symmetrical without weakening the stock there in the thin sidewall area. If it doesn't help, you can just remove the shims and grind to your heart's content.

I think grinding will put you into the foam inside the stock. Can't see where grinding would do any better than raising the trigger guard up. Either way you are trying to get the trigger guard flush with the stock.Rick.

I think what he's saying, Rick, is that the shape of the trigger positions his finger up close to the current stock edge. Lowering the bottom metal isn't going to fix the position of the trigger, obviously. But, I tend to agree, grinding/machining the stock is likely going to result in purchasing a new stock due to weakening the current one significantly. I think lowering the trigger guard will remove the sharp edges which are the primary irritation. But I'm just speculating based on my own experiences.

G'Day Fella's,

SJB358, up until yesterday, the rifle didn't have a scope on it, so I haven't been able to group shoot it!
A good mate of mine (Double Tap) had the New Zeiss scope on a Sako L46 rifle, that I had imported for him from the US.
DT wanted to install it on another rifle but with the low rings he has, the bolt handle wouldn't clear the large ocular scope bell.
So after a little bit of Horse Trading, it was mounted on my Kimber!!!

Thanks for that Dubyam, I couldn't have put it better myself!

Doh!
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

It's Autumn or Fall down here at present, and the Deer season opened in the state of New South Wales (NSW), at the start of March.
Well I was away bush last weekend and didn't see a Deer (Fallow Deer), Pig or Goat, and I'm not long back from a three days at the same location.
Well none of us seen any Deer, Pigs or Goats during hunting hours, and I think the fantastic conditions we have had recently (lots of good soaking rain and warm weather), have spread them, all over the place.

Any way I thought you may like to see the hardware that was in The Shack, over the weekend!
From Left to Right we have;
A H&R 410
Cz 452 .22LR
Kimber M84 .223
Sako 461 .222
Sako 461 .25-223
Kimber L84 .25-06 (mine)
Kimber M84 7-08
Kimber L84 .280AI
Weatherby MkV (Lightweight) .280AI
Kimber M84 .308
Sako 461 .338 Federal
and
Rem 763 (model 7) .350 Rem Mag (mine)

Doh!
Homer

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    502.8 KB · Views: 1,779
Very nice assemblage of rifles representing a goodly spread of cartridges. That is enjoyable to see.

G'Day Fella's,

Thank You for the kind words!
Were a lucky bunch, to have so many great firearm choices these days!!!

Doh!
Homer

HomerOz":21pehk8x said:
G'Day Fella's,

Thank You for the kind words!
Were a lucky bunch, to have so many great firearm choices these days!!!

Doh!
Homer

Yeah, even the "bad" ones are pretty good, compared to what used to be available. Competition is good for the consumer.

G'Day Fella's,

I'm not long back from another couple of days away!
This time, I have a scope on this Kimber .25-06 and I have just about run in it's barrel.
Here is an image or two of this rifle and a three shot group I shot at 90 meters or around 100 Yards.
FYI, the black dot (it's a .22 bullet Target Patch) that I use as an aiming mark, is 5/8" (0.625") in diameter.
In case you were wondering, I'm a real Happy Camper!!!

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 1,346
  • 021.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 1,346
  • 019.JPG
    349.1 KB · Views: 1,345
Back