A little optics humor to which some of you may relate....

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
You do all the work to get the crosshairs aligned so it tracks straight up and down, get it sighted in, and all that...then...for whatever reason, you have to remove it...

Yes :) I have had it in the past where none of my rifles have been sighted in due to swapping scopes between the rifles :roll:

Thankfully everything is sighted in here at the moment.........

It just makes me shudder when I have to do "anything" to a rifle that is tuned the way I want it. I know just how you feel. :grin: :grin:

Elkman":18kpdpuo said:
It just makes me shudder when I have to do "anything" to a rifle that is tuned the way I want it. I know just how you feel. :grin: :grin:
Me too.
I'm still crying btw.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

All of the reasons listed is why I was so set against pulling a scope off one of my other rifles to put on my new .280 AI before I had the money to buy one! I would have been crying like the rest of you, but I stayed strong and fought off the temptation. :lol:

I've got at least 2 guns in the safe that hasn't been fired. I use to get the bug and just had to bust a cap in a new to me gun but I seem to have lost some of the fire since I broke my ankle.

I am a scope switcher too. One of my worst habits, especially when I end up putting them back where the were the next winter?

Been there done that, way too many times!

JD338

I am doing that now. I have a small custom 308 with a Leupold 2X7 on it that was installed when the rifle was built and is zeroed in.
Now I have a new Leupold 3X9X40 I want to put on it. I have 3X9X40 leupold scopes on most all my hunting rifles along with a 3.5X10X40 on one.
I guess this is a better time to do so than during the hunt season. Plus I will have a chance to sell the 2X7 easier before hunting season.

I have more scopes than brains. I have sold several rifles in the past 3-4 years and have kept several of the scopes. I just sold the last two Leupold's that I have but I still have (4) other brand name scopes in their boxes?

This is why in some cases using a picatinny base makes sense, easy on, easy off, and may just as well for work for the next gun.

I've removed them enough and haven't seen any POI shifts and long as you remember to push them forward in the base they work very well.

I use Picatinny bases for nearly all of my scopes. Pick em up, move em, put em down and tighten.

I use Picatinny bases for nearly all of my scopes. Pick em up, move em, put em down and tighten
My three primary shooters and one safe queen have the picatinny bases, however as stated before, once their are working "I touch nothing", I don't care how easy it looks.
"I have found that the more times you "mess" with something, the greater the opportunity for failure". (my quote from long past)

Elkman":1b6ecq3t said:
I use Picatinny bases for nearly all of my scopes. Pick em up, move em, put em down and tighten
My three primary shooters and one safe queen have the picatinny bases, however as stated before, once their are working "I touch nothing", I don't care how easy it looks.
"I have found that the more times you "mess" with something, the greater the opportunity for failure". (my quote from long past)
Don't fix what ain't broke. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back