A Long Day's Work

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Hit the range at 0710 this morning with a load of rifles to work on. Here is the day's work load:

From left to right:

Noah's Tikka (.260 Remington); Model 70 .30-06; Model 70 .284 Win; Model 70 7X57; Sako Vixen 6mm Rem; .257 Weatherby.

Here's a few close-ups of some of my own rifles. Here's the 7X57--FN produced, topped with a Kahles 3-9X42.

This is Noah's "Baby," a Tikka action rechambered to .260 Remington, Wilson barrel, topped with a 2.5-8X36 Leupold VX3.

.30-06, FN-produced (2008 initial run), topped with a Zeiss 3-9X36 Diavari.

And this is the .284 Win built on a New Haven Model 70 push-feed, Hart barrel, topped with a VX6 3-18X44.

It was a very productive day. I managed to prove that the 257 Weatherby is going to need quite a bit of work to produce a load (110 AccuBonds). The 6mm Rem shoots quite well (sub MOA with both 90 grain E-Tips and 90 grain AccuBonds). The .284 Win is producing some promising groups, though I will need to give it a bit more attention. I was focusing on 150 grain ABLR, but I'm getting better results with 150 grain E-Tips right now. It will make another trip to the range soon.

The 7X57 produced multiple fine groups, none finer than this 0.23 inch group with 140 grain Sierra Game Kings. Can you say "Venison?"

It is also producing some fine groups with 120 grain BTs, which put a grin on my chin.

I'm under the gun for Noah's rifle as it has to be ready shortly so he can familiarise himself before moose opens on August 15. This grouping with 120 grain GMX looks promising, as did a series of groups with 129 grain SSTs.

In all, a pretty satisfying day, if somewhat longish.

Now that's how to spend a day. That's a nice collection.

The 260 is definitely showing some promise. I would shoot the 42 gr? (far right group) load again, but maybe a little tweaking on the seating depth might fix that load right up.

Good work.

Indeed, the 42 grain load will receive attention later this week. Noah needs to work with the rifle now, and I have a couple of other rifles that are awaiting attention so I can generate a little more capital for purchasing firearms.

The 7X57 is rapidly becoming a favourite rifle. It seems to digest about anything that is fed to it, spitting it back out with a delightful measure of precision.

I've always been a 7X57 fan! When I was in my late teens back in the 70's I had an old mauser 7mm semi sporterized. Not very accurate but it sure sparked my interest in the 7mm bore.
I bought my wife a Ruger M77 in the old 7X57.
But there is little choice out there for Left Handers in that old classic cartridge.
Dr. Mike those are some real good groups for a 7X57 and IMR4320 to boot! That powder is one of my all time favorites for a medium bore. Excellent choice.

DrMike":356w5pu8 said:
The 7X57 is rapidly becoming a favourite rifle. It seems to digest about anything that is fed to it, spitting it back out with a delightful measure of precision.

Mike throw some 150 PT to her she'll eat em up. I know mine does and it's a joy to shoot no recoil and prints little groups too bad it's been badly abused and only smited a primer 26 times.

I'll shoot the 140 grain Game Kings again, for sure. That load was with H4350, which I have in some quantity. I previously had some fine results with 140 grain AccuBonds, so those loads will get another "look see." Yeah, Jake, the 150 grain PT will get some serious attention shortly. I've had considerable success with that bullet in other 7X57s. In the interim, I have a 338-378 to get out shortly, and the 257 Weatherby will require quite a bit of work so I can get it back to the owner. In the interim, I'll be loading up 250 grain ABs for the 9.3X64, some 200 grain TSXs for the 350 RM, some more 150 grain ABLRs for the 280 Rem, some 200 grain PTs for the 325 WSM, some 130 grain E-Tips for the 270 WSM and some 175 grain TBBCs for the 7 RM. That way, I'll have something to grab each time I leave the house this Fall.

Dr. Mike, it wasn't clear to me if this was a day of work, a day of play, or a day of playing at work.... In any case, it was some fine shooting with some fine looking rifles. Congratulations on a successful day. Good luck with all of these projects.

Great day and nice stable there.
The hat was pretty cool also.

If it helps or matters, my AccuBond load for the 257 is 68 MRP, CCI Mag Primers, Weatherby brass, COAL 3.27. Shoots into less than 3/4", maintains that to 400. (as far as I've been able to shoot it thus far)

NYDAN":2g68z3tt said:
Dr. Mike, it wasn't clear to me if this was a day of work, a day of play, or a day of playing at work.... In any case, it was some fine shooting with some fine looking rifles. Congratulations on a successful day. Good luck with all of these projects.

It was actually work with a bit of play thrown in. I have a few other rifles that I'm working up for other people that will demand attention during the next two weeks before moose season. Interspersed with pastoral duties, there is a bit of pressure. Plus, Noah really needs time to shoot from field positions before we go out on August 15.

Dwh7271":2g68z3tt said:
Great day and nice stable there.
The hat was pretty cool also.

If it helps or matters, my AccuBond load for the 257 is 68 MRP, CCI Mag Primers, Weatherby brass, COAL 3.27. Shoots into less than 3/4", maintains that to 400. (as far as I've been able to shoot it thus far)

The hat is courtesy of Nosler (Thank you Mike Seay). Unfortunately, MRP isn't available here in Canada. This particular rifle will shoot well before I'm finished; this was just the first effort.

Yeah, I'd say that they are about good to go. I'll give Noah a chance to work at field positions over the next two weeks. I'll be there to back him up, so he should fill his mom's freezer. Well, at least that is the plan.

""I'm under the gun for Noah's rifle as it has to be ready shortly so he can familiarise himself before moose opens on August 15. This grouping with 120 grain GMX looks promising,....""

Dr....I'd say those there with the 42 are definitely Minute of Moose...and then some...very nice!

Mike it looks like they sent the right man for the job. Great shooting as per always.

My 7x57 is a Ruger 77. This rifle sprays them around at random. I finally got some decent groups when I pulled the composite scope off it and replaced it with a Nikon 3-9. Shortly thereafter I found an old Clay Harvey load with 4320 and finally got some success.
I did harvest a couple of deer with this rifle, one with the Hornady 139 and one with the lipstick red 150 Nosler ballistic tip.
I'd like to get mine shooting as well as yours is doing.

We're loading up ammunition this afternoon so Noah can spend some time shooting from field position tomorrow and during the coming week. He's pretty stoked at the prospect of taking an animal with his rifle. There is a youth whitetail season in early September; he's pestering his mom to let him miss the first couple of weeks of school just so he can take a whitetail. I look at him and think, "How delightful to see such enthusiasm for the sport of hunting."

A little jealous here DrMike! Great looking sticks, and what a way to spend a day! If I may ask you a question please? What sets apart the FN produced M70's from the rest of the M70 family (excluding the Pre 64 if you don't mind). I've been eyeballing an FN 7mm08 NIB and no little to nothing about them. Thanks, and nice work today!

Back