A look around the area I've been hunting

dubyam

Beginner
Nov 21, 2013
I've been in this lease for four seasons, now, and it's been a real ball. It's only 360ac, but it's also only 6-8 members annually. I've never been there with more than four guys hunting on the same day, so it works out well. Many days I have the place to myself. It's a mountain lease, with about half the acreage in old terrace-farmed fields which are now fallow, and the rest in rolling to steep ravines or mountainside, all of which is heavily wooded in mixed hardwood/pine forest. We have a couple of creeks which come together and form one creek running down the mountain. The whole thing all but dries out during July, but in the winter can be running heavily enough to drown out other sounds while you're hunting near the creekbed. A lot of the area off the mountain is bluffs overlooking open woodlots, with shots ranging from "end of your muzzle" out to a few hundred yards. On top, in the terraced fields, there are some areas where one can see over 1000yds across the sage bromgrass. I would not shoot game at those distances, but I've used the view to my advantage to spot-and-stalk hunt white-tails in the various areas on top which they feed and rest during the day. I've taken several deer that way, and missed opportunity on several others due to wind, terrain, or timing.

Here are a couple of shots of the open areas on top:

And here are some shots from recent days in the bluffs/creekbed. Notice the entire creek is frozen over in some portions of its run from the winter storms of the past couple of weeks. We've been cold here in northeast Alabama!

It gets steep in a lot of these draws, too. Perhaps steeper than most folks realize this part of the country can be.

And this one is a knock off of one of Guy's favorite compositions...though his are generally better than this in terms of the whole package:

And, where I finished my hunting season Friday:

For scale, that woodlot below where I'm sitting is about 80' below my position, and the view here is out about 150yds, give or take. To the left and right of this view, looking along the bluff walls, I have shot opportunities out beyond 300yds.

It really is a great place to hike, hunt, and camp. Can't wait for fall to come around again. Only 254 more days...

'Tis a lovely area, Dubyam. That's for certain. Thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of the hills in Frederick Co. MD. Dub and also Western Md. We just don't have a lot of snakes around but you do have to watch for Copper Heads and Eastern Diamond backs. Don't mind the Copper Heads so much but the rattlers can make your hair stand on ends when you hear them and can't see them.

We don't have Diamondbacks up this far, Rodger. They are down in the coastal plain area. The rattlers we have here are Canebrakes (also known as Timber Rattlers), and we are on the edge of the range for Pygmies. I don't care for either, though few Canebrake bites are fatal, much like the Copperhead. We have a good number of Coppers here, too. Up here, the one I worry over most is the Cottonmouth Moccasin. That's an irritable, hateful creature, and I would just as soon never see another one again.

I couldn't help but think that it looks similar to the landfall around parts of SE KS where I grew up. Yeah, we do have our share of copperheads in that area; I witnessed many of them packed into hay bales (which always made for a fascinating stacking job).

Very pretty, I will be that when the leaves are on the trees, visibility goes down to inches and feet. Nice pictures.

Sure different country than what I'm used to but pretty none the less.

Pretty country- looks a lot like the turf I hunt in Mn. Good for the soul. Thanks for the pics. CL

Good photos of good looking country. It's easy to fall hard for our favorite hunting lands.

Guy

Neat place Dub.
I will admit that I do not care for the various bellycrawlers you fellas mentioned. Those things make my hair stand on end. Man, I hate snakes!
No disrespect intended to the property though. Sweet place.

This will be my first post. But that area you hunt in looks like the area I live in. Plenty of copperheads and Timber rattlers. Bears, bobcats, mt lions and deer. Frederick county, Va.

Welcome aboard Billy. Swing by the new members area and intro yourself. Scotty

Back