A Lot of .25-06 Goin' Around

RiverRider

Handloader
Dec 9, 2008
I noticed Pop and Scotty talkin' about new acquisitions in .25-06, and it just so happens I recently picked up one myself. I always wanted one because I've seen them shoot like a house afire. Mine is one of the M70 Sporter Classics w/BOSS. I could find NO Model 70s in .25-06 for what seemed like months, then suddenly two of these practically fell in my lap. I bought the one that was available locally.

I decided the first bullet I would try would be the 110-grain AccuBond, and I had a little Ramshot Magnum on hand. The results the first time out were disappointing (I mean B-A-D!), probably in part because I thought I could interpolate a setting for the BOSS tuning. Winchester has provided only limited bullet weight information for the BOSS-equipped rifles. So, that idea did not work out.

In the meantime, I noticed that the loading guides imply that Magnum is not one of those powders that works optimally at full charges in the .25-06, but Retumbo does and offers some pretty impressive performance potential. So, I went down to the local emporium and acquired some. Then I set my BOSS to the setting recommended for 117-grain ammo, loaded up four different charge weights and seated the Accubonds a little deeper than my instincts always led me to do. I was rewarded with a three-shot group measuring a little less than a half-inch, velocity at about 3140 fps. I think I'll just stick with that recipe long enough to dial in the BOSS, then I'll do a little tweaking of the charge and seating depth if necessary.

Anyone else ever work with Retumbo in the .25-06?

I worked with Retumbo in my last 25-06 with 100g nbt's, 115g nbts and 115g vlds. Accuracy was 1/2 MOA and velocity was 3500fps for 100g nbt's, and 3250-75fps for the 115's. Great combo...

Yes, it WAS too easy. I am not in any way expecting that load to perform like that consistently but I do think I am definitely headed down the right path. I am confident there IS a load that WILL shoot like that all day long. My neighbor bought a Model 70 w/BOSS in .30-06 a couple of years ago. It was his first bolt-action centerfire and it has been very easy to load for. He has loaded maybe 50 or 60 rounds for it, and that Model 70 has him convinced he's an expert---it is easily sub-MOA, pretty much all day long. That rifle's a bonafide shooter, and I think my .25-05 will be also.

When I got this Model 70 home, the barreled action sat too far to the right in the stock and the trigger pull was horrendous. A few hours work and all that is cured, and it's probably the easiest rifle to shoot off the bench that I own. The trigger responded beautifully to a little judicious polishing and tuning.

I love the Model 70. In many years of shooting a multiplicity of cartridges, I have had only one that I was unable to convince to deliver good to great accuracy. Most of these, obviously, were made in New Haven. The fit and finish were usually terrible, and they required some attention, but the trigger is easy to tune and it was not terribly difficult to address the other issues. The newer Model 70s from SC are beautiful examples of the gunsmiths' art. They generally shoot very well with minimal attention. Though I've shot a few Browning rifles that had the BOSS system, in all my years of shooting, I've never shot a Model 70 that had the BOSS installed. In the brief period they were produced, people did grab them off the shelves, however; and those who have them generally like them.

Congrats on finding a good shooting .25-06 Model 70! That's great.

Yes, I've often used Retumbo with the 115 grain bullets. They generally end up at about 3180 - 3200 fps from a 24" barrel with good accuracy. Am using Federal 210 primers.

RiverRider

Congratulations on your M70 25-06. Sounds like you have a shooter. Way to go!

JD338

Nice job. Never had a very difficult time finding a good load for the 25-06.
In fact never been without one for more than 1 month straight.

I've run a pound or two of Retumbo through the .25-06... all with 115s though. I shot 60 grains of Retumbo behind the 115 Berger lighted off by WLRMs for quite a while... it netted just a hair over 3200 and would shoot about 1" at 200 yards. Hammered a coyote at 712 yards with a cold bore shot running that load... come to think of it... I should load some more of those up.

Congrats on the new rifle...

I have also used retumbo in the past however my 700 classic really seems to fancy the RL17 and it brings home teh mail let me tell ya!

3500 fps with 100 gr bt and dime size groups then followed up with equally impressive groups only 1 inch lower with teh 110 gr AB ( didnt use a chrony on that load)

welcome to club quarter bore

River Rider, congrats on the M70 25-06! That is what I would have preferred, but I imagine I will make due with my M700! I do like the M70 with the BOSS. My 338WM is a very accurate rifle and seems to shoot about anything really well.

I know now, I have to try some Retumbo and maybe RL17 in my 25-06 once I start loading. I guess I should get mounts, scope, dies and brass first though! Man the .257 and 6.5's have been getting alot of attention lately! Scotty

Back