A "new" old 375 has found a new home.

pre6422hornet

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
Well a few weeks ago I came across a rare bird. In all my years of Pre 64 obsession I have never seen a 375 H&H in person. Well two weeks ago I walked into the X here in KC and while looking through the Library I saw the tag first as she was hiding in the back... I took her out and holy cow I was in love. Standard low comb stock unmolested, rear sight intact, front sight intact with hood, zero rust or blue loss anywhere, bolt being a pre 1952 solid and 100% blueing, and by the serial number made in 1951. She met every criteria I had for a 375. This is my holy grail rifle. I have always wanted a 375 in this configuration.

I saw right off that she was engraved a bit, on the trigger guard and floorplate, and also above the chamber. Winchester's custom shop did this same treatment back in the day, but usually it didn't extend all the way into the rear sight.

I started asking questions and the Library manager invited me into his office. The owner was a now deceased gentleman from Kansas City who bought the gun brand new in 1951. He was a big time collector/shooter/hunter. X had just procured 9 guns from his collection for the sum of $45,000 after his family picked over the other guns and kept what they wanted. He showed me a colt lighting rifle that looked like the day it left the factory that came from this mans collection. Anyway I asked the mans name or a phone number to contact the family to answer more of my questions, but they are not allowed to do that and I understood. I asked about the engraving and he couldn't give me any info on it.

Anyway the price was about 1000 less than any other pre 64 375 in original condition so I told them thanks, went home and put my current Safari Express for sale, and I also sold a couple lots of Harley stock out of the vacation fund ( don't tell the wife :grin: )

I went back the next day, and as I was filling out paperwork for thes layaway, 3 other guys came in to look at it/ buy it as it had hit the internet that previous night. They were pretty amazed that a younger guy had any interest in " that old wore out rifle".. I just laughed and said " who you kidding?".. They all laughed and congratulated me on the purchase.

Fast forward to yesterday and she is now home where she belongs. I have a Lyman 48 peep that I will install on her and I already have some loads worked up. With a little luck, she may even make it out to the deer woods this year.

And here she is with my other pre 64's. The 1952 375, 1949 .270, 1960 243 and the one that started it all, my 1941 Hornet.

All I need now is one that has a "3" in the chamber designation. I'm thinking a 338 would be nice.

I believe I can now hunt the world.....

Congratulations, Pat. That is a fantastic grab. If that isn't Custom Shop engraving, it is sho' 'nuf done right. Very handsome rifle. Again, congratulations. That is quite a stable of pre64 Winnies.

Nice pick up Pat ! Looks very nice with the rest of your Pre 64 collection and should be a thumper for sure! I like the engraving as it is not over the top and tastefully done for that rifle! Your 270 has some sick furniture on it and ya gotta be happy with that!! Congratulations :mrgreen:

That is a beauty, nice snag. All the Winchester guys are going to be drooling over that one.

FOTIS":lh0qxyul said:
Sweet score Pat! May I ask what she ran you?

The tag said 1899.99. I asked them what was the best they could do since they had no proof of who performed the engraving and the took 50 bucks off. I was tickled. I have never seen an un molested pre 64 375 for under 2400.00

i really can't wait to shoot her. I have 20 ready to go with Hornady 220gr's for some once fired cases.

Watch out Missouri whitetails... Holland is coming.

Pat, most of the factory engraved rifles are initialed somewhere by the engraver (maybe: AAW (AA White?). Anyway, beautiful rifle for a super price!! Congratulations, you are getting quite a collection!

pre6422hornet":1cgmrw2l said:
FOTIS":1cgmrw2l said:
Sweet score Pat! May I ask what she ran you?

The tag said 1899.99. I asked them what was the best they could do since they had no proof of who performed the engraving and the took 50 bucks off. I was tickled. I have never seen an un molested pre 64 375 for under 2400.00

i really can't wait to shoot her. I have 20 ready to go with Hornady 220gr's for some once fired cases.

Watch out Missouri whitetails... Holland is coming.

Happy for you buddy!

Awesome snag!

Oldtrader3":1vwth5i3 said:
Pat, most of the factory engraved rifles are initialed somewhere by the engraver (maybe: AAW (AA White?). Anyway, beautiful rifle for a super price!! Congratulations, you are getting quite a collection!

Oh man thanks Charlie. I plan on taking the action out of the stock and adjusting the trigger so I will scour the entire thing with a microscope and let you know.

Back