A new rifle....

My long range load is 42.2gr IMR 4064 under a 175 grain Custom Competition and my short range load is 40.8 grains of H322 under a 125 grain Speer TNT.

The H322 load is really soft and accurate.

tddeangelo":1vd17ocy said:
The big issue is port pressure. I know 4064 is often looked upon sideways by some in Garand reloading cycles because of its fast burn rate. Not sure how that translates to the M14-type gas system....

4064 is THE powder for the M1.

Doing digging around, the 4064 recommendation is spot on. Apparently the USMC team considered a rifle that wouldn't shoot a specified charge of 4064 with a 168gr SMK to be in need of rebuild, from some accounts I've read.

I got "some stuff that goes with the rifle" today from the person selling it for the estate.

That turned out to be....

four 10-rd mags, one 20rd mag (already had three 20's with it), original fiberglass handguard, original steel trapdoor buttplate, combo tool, etc.

2 boxes of commercial match ammo, a box and a half of Lake City match ammo, 2 containers with a mix of Nosler and LC match brass with 168SMK's and 4064 charges (labeled), and a 3rd container of a 147gr FMJ's and I think Varget (don't have the box in front of me at the moment).

I'm not going to post what I paid, but put it this way....I gave what I felt was a decent list of Gunbroker auctions of similar rifles to the sellers, and told them what I thought was top dollar for the rifle and they priced it from there. If I hadn't done so, I'd feel supremely guilty with the deal I got, but I laid all my cards on the table, and tried to "aim high" on pricing so I wouldn't ever think I withheld info or low-balled it.

My wife isn't as thrilled as I am, but I'm kinda in shock over what they charged me (in a good way) for all of this.

And now my US military collection has reached a major milestone. I have-

M1896 Krag-Jorgensen (Springfield Armory)
M1903 Springfield (Rock Island Armory)
M1903A3 Springfield (Remington)
Model of 1917 (Winchester)
M1 Garand (Springfield Armory)
M1 Carbine (Inland)
M1A (M14 representative, Springfield Armory, Inc.)
AR15 (M16/M4 representative, Sig Sauer)

Other than a trapdoor Springfield, and then whatever variants of the others above I want to chase, I have the basic lineage of repeaters the US has fielded. I know, I know....there's no M1941 Johnson. I don't see me paying the price for one of those, nor for a Lee-Navy rifle, either. There was a time when a Johnson rifle would have been attainable for me, but those days are long in the past with prices on those rifles now.

That is a fine collection of US mil arms, Tom. If the others are in near as good shape as the one you just picked up, it is quite the collection.

Back