A poll on rifle rests

Guy,
Good decision. You will enjoy shooting off the BullsBag. Give Marshall a call, he will take care of you.

JD338

Guy Miner":35m43bb0 said:
JD 338, remembering your excellent success with that, I think I'm going to treat myself to the BullsBag for load testing and long-range precision shooting.

Guy
JD338":35m43bb0 said:
Guy,
Good decision. You will enjoy shooting off the BullsBag. Give Marshall a call, he will take care of you.

JD338
I remember years ago after either the Safari Club International show in Reno, NV, or The Big Horn Sheep in Dallas TX sitting on the plane next to the owner, and chatting about hunting....... He was nice enough to send me one of his bags I still use to this day! It really help me with my long range shots off the roof of my truck, or the hood of any car/truck.

I have a older lead sled when it first came out, I used it for load development on my 458 Lott. Yah, after the first 50-100 rounds you'll change your mind! Ok, so you think pushing 500 grain bullets up to 2,350 fps and a little faster is nothing on your body, neck.....your Cervical Vertebrae and yes your lower back well I'll be the first to say you're wrong if you don't think so! Sure, standing off hand is a bit better, doing serious work from a bench and taking 100+ pounds of recoil....... 50 or 100 rounds/day and well maybe I'm not cut out for it, and your all just Bad Asses, and tougher then snot?

After long periods of time the effects can be serious, but yah, it's your body. Sure small rounds are Ok, but even the cumulative effects over time will change your mind, well maybe? Guy had some serious back issues not that long ago, what just heavy lifting his whole life? I think not!

Look, prone shooting is the worst due to the neck position and the effects of recoil. A bench at least your upright, and neck cervical spin is in align. Is it best for testing for PRS shooting, Nope! Hunting doubt it, but get up to the real heavy kickers and you'll soon ask yourself after 50 rounds in a day how much more can you take to find the perfect load? Try out a 460 Wby and shoot round after round finding a load and then tell me if a Lead Sled would be your best new found friend!

Oh, and that's not with a brake BTW! Hunting with a brake is a PITA for hearing ever again, and when the big Daga Boy has his eyes set out to kill you ask someone like Nikki Atkinson who got mauled by a Cape Buffalo on day two after shooting her Buff is your hearing important? I'd beg to differ!

I haven't used my lead sled in years, but when asked to due a lot of load work on a serious recoil monster it's five feet from my bench just in case...... oh, but you'll need the three, four or five 25# lead shot bags to reduce the recoil.

Which I think was the question the OP asked, but maybe not, he didn't say why?

Another Bull's Bag fan here, the large one. I have to place it on an elevated rest (block of wood) to get it to the height I want. I use it with a good rear bag. After load development I switch to a bi-pod.

I too prefer the BullsBag and a rear bag, and my zero doesn't change when I go to hunting positions!

I normally use front and bags or front bipod and rear cushion, but have really grown to like the Caldwell Stinger for sighting in my rifles. You still have to adjust the front elevation on the Stinger after each shot but, its quick and easy. I tried a lead sled a couple of times but couldn't get use to loosing the feel of the rifle.

Have tried a couple different versions of the lead sled, and must admit that I do not care for them.

Have used various bags, sand bags and bull bags over the years, and prefer the rear rabbit ears bag and front bull bag set up the best. Also produces the most consistent groups for me and replicates field positions with a pack the best.

Blkram":2toha9xz said:
Have tried a couple different versions of the lead sled, and must admit that I do not care for them.

Have used various bags, sand bags and bull bags over the years, and prefer the rear rabbit ears bag and front bull bag set up the best. Also produces the most consistent groups for me and replicates field positions with a pack the best.
+1

JD338

Off the bench sand bags. In the field off my pack, shooting sticks I made, 10x50 Binoculars and glove when prone. Sagebrush when Antelope hunting and laying prone. Tree when whitetail hunting.
Most of the time in the field I just improvise when beyond 200 yards, just looking for that MOA Deer.

Back