A Powerful Reminder to All Hunters

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Sad part is these types of incidents are preventable. More common sense and a lot less being in a hurry would prevent some of these.
A truer statement has never been made. Dad used to say there's no such thing as an accidental shooting, somebody "messed up" (edited for language). Back in 1970 a fella thought my grandfather was a turkey and shot him 2x with a 12 ga. He died enroute to the hospital, so there's a strong zero tolerance policy with firearms around me.

Years ago I worked a case that ultimately was filed as a negligent homicide, I had filed it as a manslaughter case. Part of my investigation revealed that 90 some percent of all fatal hunting accidents occurred within three feet of the muzzle. Loaded guns where and when guns shouldn't be loaded are bad Ju-ju.
Sad story.

Seems like this has to happen to some one every year. My guess is that the law is already on the books. Its just something I try and always do, "If you dont have both hands on the rifle, the action should be open..." Chamber empty- as I said I always try and remember. Thank you Mr Gaspar. CL

Think about him as you may - but Cooper's gun rules are valid.
We do some pushes for hare and pheasant here.
Whenever you step over a fence or jump something, you break your shotgun. Stay in line with the rest. Keep the muzzle in a safe direction.
I once walked behind a guy on the last yards of the last drive (he went ahead of us) and he swung his auto loader on his shoulder. I looked into the barrel. I calmly asked if it was unloaded. Well - I never thought he could move that quickly. Gun was down in less than a second.
I have a routine to unload my weapons before I put them away. Or when loading.
Place hand there, finger here, safety on, ...

Back