acceptable ES / SD

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Before the heavy winds blew down my chrono 3 times last Friday, I was shooting the .308 Hornady ELD-X 178 Varget loads I made earlier during the hunting season and the Oeheler 35 printed out the velocity and SD. Looks like some fine acceptable ES / SD there. Eight shots into an 8/ 10 of an inch at 300 yards. I won't want to fiddle with anything, but my question is if you tweak with seating depths, will SD / ES change?

chFnezm.jpg

I really can't answer this question on seating depth with certainty , but I would say yes it will . could get better , could get worse . I know it's a small sample , but your velocity numbers look great . one thing for sure , the results on the target are what matter . the target has the final say .

Not sure, but it doesn't always correspond to the smallest group. The best ES/SD is the one that makes the smallest group.

5shot":psf85ssu said:
Not sure, but it doesn't always correspond to the smallest group. The best ES/SD is the one that makes the smallest group.
The seating depth my have an effect on it, depends on how much you change. Neck tension has a lot to do with it as well.

The ES and SD really don't effect group size, in theory it does. In the following picture is a clean cold bore shot then the following group printed with my 6.5 Creedmoor. My SD is 27.2 and my ES was 47...

20170127_142258.jpg

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

waveslayer":tqzl10ep said:
5shot":tqzl10ep said:
The seating depth my have an effect on it, depends on how much you change. Neck tension has a lot to do with it as well.

The ES and SD really don't effect group size, in theory it does. In the following picture is a clean cold bore shot then the following group printed with my 6.5 Creedmoor. My SD is 27.2 and my ES was 47...

It won't show much but past 600 yards you will see high and low hits due to wide ES. Low ES / SD contributes to smaller groups at extreme ranges. Correct me if I am wrong.

I have shot groups similar to yours and ES was bad.

I have a scale that gets me down to one kernel of powder on a load.... I'm sure it was mostly luck but one day I actually had four in a row with the exact same velocity.... I felt like I shot them all very well.... the group was ho hum ordinary!
An example of one...I know....but it had me laughing.

I've been following that website for quite a while. I've been reloading for 20 years and there are people there that forgot more about reloading than I'll ever know!

Eight shots into an 8/ 10 of an inch, 300 yards..... :shock: :shock: Really?!?!?!. If I ever shot a group like that the remaining rounds would be locked a away in a hermetically sealed funk and wagnels mayonnaise jar, locked in a lead lined vault, and buried in an abandoned missile silo somewhere in Gods country (and I'm not telling you where that is....) Oh I might send one round to NASA for evaluation. Maybe..... I couldn't mess with that, no way. Not brave enough. Great shooting!! CL

cloverleaf":1kx7p1vk said:
Eight shots into an 8/ 10 of an inch, 300 yards..... :shock: :shock: Really?!?!?!. If I ever shot a group like that the remaining rounds would be locked a away in a hermetically sealed funk and wagnels mayonnaise jar, locked in a lead lined vault, and buried in an abandoned missile silo somewhere in Gods country (and I'm not telling you where that is....) Oh I might send one round to NASA for evaluation. Maybe..... I couldn't mess with that, no way. Not brave enough. Great shooting!! CL

Thanks Clover, I was glad I had my coffee before I started shooting. :lol: Hopefully the new lot of bullets I ordered shoots the same.

Emailed GA Precision that the Crusader shoots like a dream and asked them to build me another rifle, this time a 6.5 Creedmoor (y)

TackDriver284":10c4eofx said:
cloverleaf":10c4eofx said:

Thanks Clover, I was glad I had my coffee before I started shooting. [emoji38] Hopefully the new lot of bullets I ordered shoots the same.

Emailed GA Precision that the Crusader shoots like a dream and asked them to build me another rifle, this time a 6.5 Creedmoor (y)
Good choice, as about a 6mm Creedmoor, it's gaining traction! Or go big and get the 6.5 SAUM. Now that's hard to beat

Back