Accubond for Muzzle Loading?

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
What would you guys think of an AccuBond bullet for muzzle loading?
Maybe a .451 cal 260-275 gr with a higher BC.
Nosler, are you listening? :wink:

JD338

Would be good in a Savage with smokeless. Not so good in my CVA though. You need at least 1800 fps at impact, my CVA is accurate, not fast :lol:

I would just love to have a sabot that would let me run a 200 grain .338 acubond in my .45 cal omega...I can get about 2200 fps with a 200 grain hornady SST muzzle loading bullet....would be nice to shoot a REAL plastic tipped bullet though...

375hh1973":1g4y97al said:
I would just love to have a sabot that would let me run a 200 grain .338 acubond in my .45 cal omega...I can get about 2200 fps with a 200 grain hornady SST muzzle loading bullet....would be nice to shoot a REAL plastic tipped bullet though...

Somewhere I saw a guy doing just that! He was making his own sabots.
If you ever run across something like that, let me know. I shoot a 50 cal Omega.

JD338

TScottW99":2ofltejr said:
Would be good in a Savage with smokeless. Not so good in my CVA though. You need at least 1800 fps at impact, my CVA is accurate, not fast :lol:

TScottW99,

My thinking is an AB designed for the lower velocities of a muzzle loader.

JD338

That would work! :lol:

Somewhere on here is a post about a guy using Accubonds with a specially made sabot. I'll try and find it tonight if I get time at work.

Aren't you basically describing the T/C Shockwave Bonded ML bullets? The 250gr bonded sabot bullet (w/plastic tip) seems quite popular with 3 pellets of Pyrodex or 777. I believe that 2,200 ft/sec is attainable.

Nikon makes a ML scope with the holdover points on the reticle for this load. Holdover dots are for 150yds, 200yds, 225yds and 250yds.

Charlie-NY":1gce6b6n said:
Aren't you basically decscribing the T/C Shockwave Bonded ML bullets? The 250gr bonded sabot bullet (w/plastic tip) seems quite popular with 3 pellets of Pyrodex or 777. I believe that 2,200 ft/sec is attainable.

Nikon makes a ML scope with the holdover points on the reticle for this load. Holdover dots are for 150yds, 200yds, 225yds and 250yds.

Charlie-NY,

Yes, Something similar to the Shockwave, maybe a little heavier and a higher BC. Another big market for Nosler to jump in on. :wink:

That scope is pretty nice. If you changed your load, you would have to check your zeros, they may be off.

JD338

They could easily increase the bullet B/C while maintaing the weight by using a smaller diameter bullet in a thicker sabot. Now that may be something for Nosler to think about.

Many shooters are looking to extend the range of their muzzloaders. Using pistol bullets, which were designed for short range, in sabots is contrary to that goal.

Charlie-NY":1qszi9fb said:
They could easily increase the bullet B/C while maintaing the weight by using a smaller diameter bullet in a thicker sabot. Now that may be something for Nosler to think about.

Many shooters are looking to extend the range of their muzzloaders. Using pistol bullets, which were designed for short range, in sabots is contrary to that goal.

I'm with you on that!
45 and 50 cal sabots for .375, .338, .308 and 7mm.
Talk about innovation! :wink:

JD338

Sounds awesome, but illegal here in Virginia :cry: I have been wanting to try the PR Bullets Duplex sabot/bullet but can not hunt with it here. Our bullets have to be at least .45. The PRBullets dubplex is .35 I believe.

Here in Kentucky, we can basically use anything as long as it's loaded from the muzzle. If Nosler can make an AB that expands at the velocities I'm shooting, bring it on! I'm looking for something new to shoot anyway.

JD338":vrpbjqqj said:
375hh1973":vrpbjqqj said:

Somewhere I saw a guy doing just that! He was making his own sabots.
If you ever run across something like that, let me know. I shoot a 50 cal Omega.

JD338

JD338

I know where those sabots are being made; up in Arkansas but right now I don't have a contact number! But...with that being said....as you may well know....a projectile IS ONLY AS ACCURATE as the degree of alignment it has with the bore of the rifle and any sabot utilized is going to have to be DAMN PRECISE! If the projectile is even slightly out of alignment....you're gonna be lucky to keep 'em on a SHXTHOUSE WALL at 100 yds.!!
:cry: :shock: :(
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Sharpsman

I agree with the alignment.
Let me know if you can find out who is making those sabots.

JD338

bluegrass bubba":g3f3n5hc said:
His username is EDGE, because I pmed him asking if he would sell some and he said he only tested for himself.

Thanks bubba.

JD338

JD338":7lkys3u7 said:
What would you guys think of an AccuBond bullet for muzzle loading?
Maybe a .451 cal 260-275 gr with a higher BC.
Nosler, are you listening? :wink:

JD338

Have No Ideal Why Nosler Hasn't Already Done So.

A Ballistic Tip would be A-ok as Well for me.

Would prefer either or both for both 45 and 50- cal MZ.

Back