Accubond performance on Boar!

roysclockgun

Handloader
Dec 17, 2005
The boar trotted into view at 45 yards! I had the Browning B78 single shot rifle zeroed in at 250yds., with an MV just under 3300 fps. The 140gr. AccuBond had accounted for a number of white tail deer, mule deer and pronghorns, but I had never recovered a bullet, due to large exit wounds. The boar was not going to stop, so I swung onto him with the scope always on 3X, unless I spot game at great distance. The boar just about filled the scope, as I put the crosshairs just behind his left elbow, with me standing aiming off hand. The boar was quartering away, right to left and picking up speed. I can tell you that once the target was acquired, instinct took over. I had levered back the hammer without thinking and was applying pressure to the trigger, also without conscious thought. I felt no recoil and heard no report, as is always the case on real game shots. The boar stagggered and reversed directions. I am convinced that he was already dead on his feet, but reaction kept him running for the short distance toward me, before he folded up and went down hard. He did not attempt to rise, as I kept the reloaded rifle trained on him. We got the truck and loaded him up for the trip to the cleaning barn. Live weight was 185 lbs. When he was skinned, I found the bullet lodged in his hide at the right shoulder. The shoulder was badly shattered into jig saw pieces and bone had been blasted into the hide, along with the bullet.
The bullet, after entering behind his left elbow, had ploughed through the top of his heart, then smashed into his right shoulder, exploding the bone and stopping in the right side hide. Retained weight on the 140gr. AccuBond, was 89.4 gr., or 63.86% of it's original weight! It is my opinion that the bullet performed in an excellent manner, especially given that it penetrated and broke up a heavy shoulder bone. Surprisingly, meat damage was not great. I probably lost half of the right shoulder meat, but the bloodshot portion will be boiled down and added to my pup's food. The balance of the undamaged right shoulder meat looked very good and went into the freezer with the other pork.
I will stick with my 140gr. AccuBond hand loads.
Steven A.

roysclockgun

Nicely done! Excellent bullet performance.
Post a pig of the hog and the recovered bullet.

JD338

Wow! I felt like I was reading a PH's tale of taking down a rouge elephant.

That was cool. Nice writing. How about a pic of his ivorys? :)

Long

Great story. That will work for certain! Those ABs are just okay.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. My computer with all the "stuff" in it is being repaired. I have the bullet and pix of Mr. Pig and will send images next week, when 'puter is repaired.
Best,
Steven A.

Great story, I really believe ABs are the best bullet for the money today.

Blessings,
Dan

had 3 pass-thru's with the 160 accubonds the last while, shooting a MV of 3575 fps
coyote at 49 paces
whitetails at 340 and 725 yards
RR

sask boy":28ldpbw4 said:
Great story, I really believe ABs are the best bullet for the money today.

Blessings,
Dan

I really agree with this. You can't find a better premium bullet for the money. They even beat out Partitions in my books since they are less expensive and have a better BC. They retain about the same amount of weight and just work well in about everything I have used. Scotty

That is quite a smile on your face, and with good reason. Well done, Steven. He's a great looking boar.

Nice porker. I've been trying for several years to get shot at some big hogs with my 160 AccuBond. Hasn't happened yet. Looks like the 140 did a smash up job on that boar. Boy ya'll are preaching to the choir when you talk about the AccuBond.

In reality, I never had huge problems arise from other bullets despite a couple bullet failures and jacket seperations. IE, the bullet fell apart, but the deer was recovered.

However, I get better, more consistent accuracy from Nosler plastic(poly) tipped bullets and bang flop results on game. The ballistic tips and Accubonds will usually shoot into the same point of aim with similar loads, but I've found the AccuBond seems to like just a bit more powder to get a tight group. Might be the thicker jacket.

JT.

Back