Accuracy Diff with primers.

Never had them shoot for me in any caliber.

What load with the RL-17? Velocity? accuracy?

Ok guys here is the question.

Has anyone ever seen a notable difference just by switching primers and leaving everything else alone on a given load? I know velocity can vary a bit but I am specifically looking for accuracy difference. Not magnum to standard but within the same class.

What say you.
Yep when I was working up loads for my 35 Whelen Ackley Improved a change to Winchester primers marked for standard or magnum cartridges made a big difference in accuracy. Dewy's work with tuning the quick load data for my loads showed the difference and on range targets the performance was amazing how the groups would shrink.
Tweaking quick load from chronograph recordings finding the nodes using loads with the WW primer really turned it around.

We will see.

I have the 250 TTSX loaded with various charges of CFE223, Lever evo, and different caps.
Fotis CFE223 is what I was loading in my 35Ackley Imp and the WW primers worked fantastic. CFE223 is a ball powder and hard to ignite and get uniform pressures, I don't think they are as hot as a magnum primer but they do make a difference with CFE223.

A long, long time ago I was testing my favorite 308 mid-range load in my 40XB match rifle with different primers. Groups were generally at or under an inch at 200 yards, until I tried some Winchester LR primers and the groups swelled to over 2 MOA.

In Feb. of "83 I tested Fed 210 against CCI 200's with the same load. The Fed 210 averaged 0.25 better than CCI's and I have used them ever since. I have shot the Fed 210 and Fed 210M and never seen much difference in group size.

Ok guys here is the question.

Has anyone ever seen a notable difference just by switching primers and leaving everything else alone on a given load? I know velocity can vary a bit but I am specifically looking for accuracy difference. Not magnum to standard but within the same class.

What say you.
Well....
I can say I got a difference between federal gold medal match magnums grouping better than Rem 9 1/2m and WLRM...

I can't say this was across multiple platforms as it was one particular platform but I can also say that it might be better in other platforms for this particular load if I compared.

Back