advice for a newbie at using the .223

caribouhunter

Beginner
Mar 31, 2009
Hi!
i just bought a Savage model 12 FLVSS in .223 rem. with 1:9 twist 26" barrel
i would like to find a very accurate load that i could use for varmint/coyote hunting and target shooting.
600 yard will be the maximum distance for target. and 300-400 for hunting.
i'd like if i could use jist one bullet for the job. but the choice is so vast, i don't know
where to start.
a hint on the powder to use with the bullet you recommand,would be great also.
thanks

congrats on the new 223Rem.
The 55 gr BT is a good all around bullet for what you want to do. The 60 gr BT would also be a good choice.
Benchmark, TAC and Varget would all be good powder choices.

JD338

I'd take advantage of having the 1:9 twist, and go heavier. If you want to target shoot out to 600 yards, I'd probably look at the 69 grn Sierra Match King. Great for targets, great for yotes as well!

Varget is my go-to powder for the 223.

Both of my barrels are 12" twist, but I agree whole-heartedly with the powders recommended so far. They should be fine even in the quicker twist. Another one you might try is IMR8208.

With your 9 twist, you can shoot heavier bullets, which may be of interest for distance shots. The advice you have received concerning powders is spot on.

That 9-twist barrel is usually very good with the various 68 & 69 grain match bullets.

Not half bad with the lighter ones either.

Guy

In my AR's I settled on 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips loaded with H-4895. I have used this load in close to a dozen different AR's with 1 in 9" Twist Barrels and it has been very consistant in all of them. The 20" Bull Barrels have produced 100 yard groups in the .5's. None of the Coyotes I have shot with this bullet-n-load have complained.

Larry

I agree with all across the board thoughts above. One load per everything gun is great, just have to decide whats best for your personal wants, and then what the gun likes best in that weight class. I personally limit my two .223's to 300 and 400 yds. 40's in one, and 60's in the other. But wouldn't be opposed to heavier than the 60 load/rifle either, in the one for everything I would use it for. Then I fortunately have the assets of switch to the 6mm's for longer ranges, each to their own bullets as well, of light and heavy weights. I really like the one load philosphy, but sometimes more than one gun of same chambering (not necessarily) to get what works for me. But like above, everybody has their own way of going about things. Absolutely nothing out of line with any of the practices/disciplines imo.
Bet that helped a lot in to helping your decision ???? lol

I second the 69gr Sierra. Tiny little groups with mine loaded up with H4895. Another great bullet I have been using is the 53gr V-Max also with H4895.

I didn't know much about the 69 smk. But after reading your posts i searched a bit and they seem interresting for my application. Only concern is terminal performance for hunting.
Do you think shooting pop cans and windshield washer jug, filled water, and watching how they react, would give a good idea on how they would work on rock chuck and yotes?
It would be easy to test a lot of shot at various distances to have a good sample.

I like 55gr bt/bt varmint or sierra hpbt in the same weight. With either 25gr benchmark or 25.5gr varget. Lakecity brass winchester small rifle primers loaded to 2.240". These are shot out of a bushmaster 1:9 twist 16" barrel. Getting .5 MOA at 100 yards. 24" barrel bolt actions are running about 3250 fps on varget or about 3150 on bemchmark. Benchmark so far has shot tighter gruops out of bolt action than the varget.

You will be dissappointed at the "pop" that the 69g smk will give you on varmint size critters, its not designed for that...

It is however designed to be very accurate to 600 yards and it will still kill coyotes and varmints, just wont have the splat factor. On marginal hits you wont get a lot of blood like you would a plastic tip bullet.

For what you describe I would go with a plastic tipped 55-60g bullet. I think you'll be happier with the results on critters.

I just finished load work up with 52g AMAX/Benchmark. Settled on 26g in win brass and cci 400 primers, OAL of 2.260" which is .005" off lands. 3425fps and .3"-.4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Rifle is a Ruger target with 26" bbl. This should be a pretty good 500 yard load, and will do at 600 on calm days as well I'm hoping, but it'll be more in the 200-400 range 90% of the time.

Just a few thoughts...

- Why limit yourself to one bullet for all applications? Enjoy, embrace and bask in the fact that we have a ton of options! Why have one bullet do 'ok' at everything when you can have fantastic performance just by using 2 or maybe even 3?

- The 69g SMK is a fantastic long range bullet and has worked well in my 1:9 twist guns. It's great for target shooting at the far end of your possible range.

- Hunting bullets for yotes and other varmints have tons of options. Shootersproshop has a great deal on 55g and 60g B-tips. I've also had excellent results with 55g and 60g V-max.

My factory barreled Rem 700 VS-223 prefers the Nosler 50BT (I've experimented with at least a dozen different brands/weights of bullets and 3-4 different powders). Your rifle's faster twist may do better with a longer bullet, which might be a better choice for 600 yards anyway.

Here's a 5-shot group. Group size in the .2s and .3s are common...
Nosler 50BT, W748 powder, Win cases, Rem 7-1/2 primers

View attachment W748001.jpg

thanks everyone
i just passed the order, i will begin with 55 B/T, h4895, win brass, and federal primers.
i'll let you know how it turns out.
as for the reason for just one load, i lack the time to shoot as much as i would like.
so learning real life drop and wind doping for one load ( plus practicing with my big game rifle)
is about all i can muster for now. you know what is said about the guy with just one gun. i tought it might apply to the guy with just one load :mrgreen:
but i will sure try different loads over time. the 69 smk and will be the next i try.
and there's the 60 BT, 53-55-60 vmax,68 hornady bthp,70 berger vld,
oh gosh, what did i get into????

went to try the rifle yesterday. looks promising.
i had to use h335 for powder, it's all i was able to find in stock.
so it's the 55 ballistic tip, loaded with H335 at 2.300" COL. with new winshester brass and fed 205 primers
groups were shot in round robin as asked by the OCW load method.

i loaded 30 brass this morning with 25 gr. to try 5 shot groups at different lenght with this charge.
i neck sized with lee collar die this time, can't wait to see the result.
if i stack all 7 target on top of each i end up with a 21 shot .975" group. and this with minimum to max charge weight.
i never had such a good range session. but i must say it's my first varmint rifle.

Good shooting! And yes, it looks like the load is coming together.

Yeah - varmint rifles are great! Usually very good accuracy without all the thunder & recoil of the bigger rounds. Enjoy!

For varmits I would try 60-64gr HPV bullets. I think Sierra, and Hornady makes one and I know Berger makes all three 60,62,64gr HPV bullets.

I have been using the 52gr Berger and the 52gr A-Max with Benchmark and will try a the 62gr Berger HPV when I can find some. I have a 1:12 twist so I am limited to the 60-64gr HP's OAL in my barrel.

Back