Advice on methods for working up new accuracy loads

How many different loads do you typically try before finding an accuracy load you are comfortable wi

• 0 to 10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 to20

• 20 to 40

• 40 to 60

• 60 to 80

• Total voters

Koa

Beginner
Jul 3, 2007
I am looking for infomation on what methods are typically used to work up accuracy loads for a new rifle. There are obvsouly many different combinations of primers, brass, power, and bullet weights, but I'm at a loss for a system to orginize all these possibiltites into a logical progression. Is this basicly just a process of elimination? Can anyone provide any advice, or share their preferred methods?

I try to find a powder that fills the case and gives one of the higher velocities. I have also found that my rule of thumb is to start with Noslers suggestion of "Most Accurate Powder Tested". More often than not, you are on your way to an accurate load.
I also start looking for Alliant powders, they seem to give me more sub MOA laods than any of the other powder manufactures.

JD338

Some cartridges are heavily used by match shooters, such as the .308 Win and .223 Rem. In those cases, certain accuracy loads are well known - loads that almost always perform well in a wide variety of rifles. If this wasn't the case, factory match ammo like Federal Gold Medal and Black Hills wouldn't exist - but those types of factory match ammo do exist, because they are usually very accurate in many different rifles. Same thing with handloads. There are well proven combinations, that you'll find up and down the line at many matches. Those cartridges are simple. For instance, when I was first searching for a good 600 yard load for my .308 Win, I asked a few competitors. To a man they told me 45 - 46 grains of Varget and the 168 gr Nosler Comp bullet or Sierra Matchking, or 43 - 44 grains of Varget and a 175 gr Matchking. Now, these guys are all high-level competitors, shooting near max scores match after match. You bet I listened! :grin: They also had tips on stuff like brass and primers. Such as "Winchester works fine, but needs some prep and sorting. Lapua is good right out of the box." Okay - I bought both and found out that both were true. I couldn't even play around much with seating depth, because it was mandatory that my ammo feed from the magazine - so I was able to just load it about as long as would feed through the mag and live with that. Same thing when I went looking for a "Palma" legal load, the 155 Nosler Comp bullet or the 155 Sierra Palma bullet were recommended, over a stout charge of Varget.

Did the process work? Oh yeah... :grin: Shot my way to the "high master" level with Nosler 155's and won or placed well at some minor matches over the years, primarily with Nosler 155's & 168's.

Rather than spend a whole lot of time on load development, I took what was recommended by the duty experts, loaded up a mess of 'em, and spent more time learning to shoot better.

A similar strategy can be followed with other well known varmint or big game cartridges. There are some well recognized favorite combos. Here though a fellow needs to be a little more careful. Every handloader in hunting camp thinks he's the next coming of Elmer Keith and can develop a better load than anyone else... I swear some of these guys like putting bombs in their chambers...

Also - well worth seconding JD338's recommendation to look at the "accuracy loads" from various bullet & powder companies. The guys at Nosler, Hodgdon and Sierra send literally thousands of rounds downrange from test rifles and have a very good idea of what works in a given cartridge. I talked to one fellow from Sierra who had just finished loading and shooting 9000 rounds over a few months to for research. There's often a "most accurate" powder listed, or even an "accuracy load" that will provide a fine starting point. I've called or e-mailed several bullet and powder companies over the years for a shortcut to a good load, and have yet to find them wrong.

Also - I start out with realistic expectations of my rifle, my load, myself and what I'm planning to do with the combo.

For my match rifles - frankly I want no worse than 1.5" groups at 300 yards in calm conditions. If it can't do that I need to clean the barrel better, replace the barrel or change my load. Or maybe drink less coffee. :grin: From a match grade barrel, it's not all that unusual for my match loads to shoot at about an inch at 300 yards, in good conditions. For a general purpose factory built hunting rifle, I strive for 3" groups at 300 yards. Some make it, some don't. I've also been known to sacrifice some accuracy because I want the better terminal ballistics of something like a heavy for caliber Nosler Partition bullet.

Normally by consulting good sources; top level shooters and companies that produce bullets or powder for handloading, I'm able to very quickly arrive at a satisfyingly accurate load.

Also believe it's important to start with good, proven components and good loading tools. For max accuracy I use high quality brass, match grade primers and match grade bullets. Build a load around those components, with high quality loading dies, then feed it in a good rifle and the results will likely be very good.

Ah, I like things simple. Do have a couple of buddies who fiddle with their loads and are able to produce some mind-boggling results from the bench or bipod. Most amazing. I remain impressed with their capabilities.

FWIW, Guy

Thanks for all the great info! I keep coming back to this posting for reference; it's just got a lot of really good priceless information especially the stuff from GuyMiner. Any other tricks of the trade regarding brass, bullet selection, or load work ups people care to pass on to us new guys?

GS custom bullets has a different concept that I've never heard of before. They say to find the velocity that your looking for with their bullets and then experiment with oal to get the accuracy that you want out of your hunting rifle. This is something that I've never heard of or tried before. Who knows, it may have some merit. I've sure given it some thought. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Changing the length makes sense to me and trying to achieve accuracy with the load you want to use. It is very frustrating to find a gun that shoots minimum loads well and max loads bad. I found that changing the OAL was very influential on group size for my .270 win. This was the first time I loaded the test batch this way. Believe it or not, it shot the short load much better than one closer to the lands. :shock:

Oh, also I have this crazy weird obsession with only using Hodgdon Extreme powders. It's kinda weird, but I feel more comfortable. Oh, and Nosler bullets as well. If it won't shoot well with Hodgdon's and Noslers, you will see it on gunbroker.

onlybrowning":3jis8bfw said:
I found that changing the OAL was very influential on group size for my .270 win. Believe it or not, it shot the short load much better than one closer to the lands. :shock:
I believe ya. I have also found changing COL to be very influential on group sizes. My best loads are almost always with the bullet .030 - .050 off of the lands. I lost track of how many times I have read best accuracy is obtained with the bullet .010 or .015 off of lands or slightly into the lands. maybe in some cases but I have yet to experience it, in testing many rifles and loads myself.

Back in the early 90s I bought a Remington 40-XBKS in 220 Swift I could not hardly get it to group below .900 @100. I ended up with the bullets .050 off the lands and it makes little bug hole groups with 40, 50, and 55 grain bullets, go figure.

Nosler's most accurate load, Sierra's accuracy load and Ken Water's "Pet Loads" are always a good place to start.If you are having a problem with a good hunting load, try one of the competition type bullets as a test. I have a friend who works up loads with the Match Kings just to prove the rifle. Then uses that powder/primer/case and tries his favorite hunting bullets. All rifles are a rule of themselves but there exist some loads that seem to work well in a variety of rifles as pointed out by Guy.Rick.

I have a friend who works up loads with the Match Kings just to prove the rifle. Then uses that powder/primer/case and tries his favorite hunting bullets
+1
With a new gun, I usually start with a match bullets. 52gr sierra's in a .224 cal, Balistic tips in hunting cal, and go from there. If a rifle won't shoot Match ings/Ballistic Tips, it probably has other problems you need to address first.

Back