Affordable Elk Hunting

Redneck Ron

Beginner
Sep 30, 2004
The Elk hunting has already started here in New Mexico. Since I didn't have the luck of the draw. So, I have to pursue a Land Owner Permits. I will settle for a Cow tag. Albuqeruqe journal has some number listed-$500 dollars somebody wanted for a tag. I am glad I wasn't born Yesterday!!!!

I have found 2 license for 250 dollars each in mountains of northern New Mexico. That is still to much and the hunt times are in Novermber. If anybody has any suggestions, contacts, or affordable licenses. Please let me know.

Let me know if you found one!!! I was researching some hunts and my first born and mortgage will have to go to the outfitters... :grin:

Affordable elk hunt? Now that's a play on words!

I have only been on 2 elk hunts in Arizona on our draw system in 24 years of trying! Of course, they were for prime areas with monster bulls! But, I'm glad that you at least got a cow tag.

POP":1hgp0gjd said:
Sniper1Az":1hgp0gjd said:
Affordable elk hunt?

that is called an oxymoron

That is why I guide. I get PAID to hunt! I don't get to pull the trigger, but I get to live the hunt.

Seriously, talk to the outfitter I work for - hunt@greatwesternhunting.com - Darrell runs one of the best camps I have ever seen. Pretty much 100% success on 5 point or bigger bulls and it is NOT a fenced hunt.

I have no problem for those that are doing guiding for a living. There is nothing wrong with that.

Myself, I don't have the privledge of affording such Luxuries-like paying for a guide srevice. My luck will have to rest on the Draws!!! I am in for the meat not the rack. But of course a nice rack is nice but not the determining factor.

My problem is guide services buying up land owner tags and allowing guide service to hunt the land at high prices!! The little man will not be able to hunt anymore. This is the wave of the near future. Small business or Corporate hunting!! A right and privlidge at a high at a cost! :roll:

Redneck Ron":9x3ecl22 said:
My problem is guide services buying up land owner tags and allowing guide service to hunt the land at high prices!! The little man will not be able to hunt anymore. This is the wave of the near future. Small business or Corporate hunting!! A right and privlidge at a high at a cost! :roll:

Hunting is a privelege - not a right. I wish it were the other way around, but it is not.
I do not guide for a living, I guide because I love to do it. Many do it for the same reason and some folks outfit for that reason too. The benefits to the elk, deer and their habitat are pretty amazing when landowners see them as something to be protected instead of a nuisance.

As to thinking hunting can only be done successfully on private land:
I have certainly killed my share of elk and have never killed one on private land.
I killed this bull this year on public land in Colorado with an over the counter tag.
Hunt04046s.jpg

I killed this deer on public land in Colorado. All buck tags are draw.
Hunt04s.jpg

Hunting is one of those things where you get out of it what you put into it. Whether it be through hard work or money.

QuietHunter":g06f4vf7 said:
Redneck Ron":g06f4vf7 said:

Hunting is a privelege - not a right. I wish it were the other way around, but it is not.
I do not guide for a living, I guide because I love to do it. Many do it for the same reason and some folks outfit for that reason too. The benefits to the elk, deer and their habitat are pretty amazing when landowners see them as something to be protected instead of a nuisance.

I have certainly killed my share of elk and have never killed one on private land.
I killed this bull this year on public land in Colorado with an over the counter tag.
Hunt04046s.jpg

Hunt04s.jpg

Hunting is one of those things where you get out of it what you put into it. Whether it be through hard work or money.

Nice QH

A couple of "Grooved" animals! :wink:

POP":yzojfpbq said:
QuietHunter":yzojfpbq said:
Redneck Ron":yzojfpbq said:

Hunt04046s.jpg

Hunt04s.jpg

Nice QH

A couple of "Grooved" animals! :wink:

Nice mule deer and good looking Elk :!:

Land owner tags are an available option to unsuscessful state draws here in New Mexico. But they are becoming more and more expensive due to guide service buying them up. My hunting has always been on public land. This the only affordable option for me.

Hunting is a given right on public land and a priviledge to be granted access on to private land by the land owner. Now, I say this with regards to the state laws and to conservation.

I knew that Colorado had over the counter elk tags--which is a good thing. New Mexico over the counter big game animal is deer. The bad news is-that it is going to a draw statewide for 2005. I am curious to read more about it when the new state big game hunting proclamation comes out.

Congrats on the hunting!!

Back