Africa-Two rifles-one load for each rifle

I put it for Maine moose for 7 or 8 years. About 5 of those were before you could buy all the chances you want in the drawing. I tried a few years after that and gave up.

I had a good friend that pretty much smoked Camel studs until the day he died. He was in his mid 50's.

Sounds like alot of fun to me! I can supply the " Lodging and the lobstars"........ If April can keep us in Martinis, I know Scotty can keep us all entertained! I have got 10 beds at Baskahegan Lodge so I will leave Dr Mike in charge of reservations , so lets do it!!! We can call it the " 1st Annual Nosler Research Seminar"... (y)
April and I can explore the merits of heavy calibers vs light ones and Speculate on weather the sprits should be stired or shaken? Probably better invite Guy, incase Scotty gets
Bogged down packing out his bull !!! Dr Mike can supervise from the floatplane, Hodgie can flag them out a straight trail and maybe Gil would keep the fires on at camp incase the boys show up cold n wet ( and stir the Lobster Bisque) the lake is full of White Perch that is only a half notch down from Walleye...... And we can get all the Haddock, Scallops, abd Steamers we can eat.
Nothing but fresh Maple Syrup on the Blueberry hotcakes.
And we can decide if we want Apple Crisps, Pies or fresh Rasberrys or Blackberry Cobblers?
PS .... Better not forget Dewey , Jim and Roger as I think they all like Lobster!!!
Oh my gosh.......We cant forget Cheyenne!!!..... Gotta have the .348 girl! :grin:
And to keep this flock of hoodlems straight ,we will need Dan to make sure no one gets too far "off the tracks"

Don't know if my heart will stand it, but I'd definitely give it a try. Now, you'll have to supply the firearms. Homeland Security gets antsy 'bout Canadians bringing armaments into the US of A.

the part of April's post I thought was funny was "I dont want you two to gang up on a poor defenseless woman"

I agree with Rodger, who is pulling who's leg---poor defenseless woman---, I have a feeling you will hold your own just fine April

I agree with hunternyny, April would have all those "hoodlems" hogtied and stacked like cordwood in the corner before they could say "22 hornet"! LOL

I like the idea of a First Annual Nosler Research Seminar...and a working committee gathering at the Lodge sounds like a great place to meet to determine the topics and presenters for the Seminar...

Now Mike, how many times do I have to remind you that native guides can show you the moose, but only if you have not angered the gods before the hunt!?!? And as with any other guide, the quality of the hunt and the trophy depends on the quality of the pay or tip to the guide!!! LOL

I'd be down for a First Annual Nosler Research Seminar...

It'd be a good time, I'm pretty sure the combined forces around here could put on one heck of a wild game feed. (y)

Sounds awful good..... The Lodge has a 16' Field Stone Fireplace to cast a cheerie glow every evening, and we have been know to play an old Guild guitar and. Try our best on some old
Gordon Lightfoot, Dan Fogelberg, Jim Croce or James Taylor stuff.
And it has been said more than once if you have had enough prelube , sometimes it even sounds
Acceptable ???? Does anyone else play.....???

I'll through in my two-cents from when I went there in 2004 and '05. My first year I brought a 30-06, and a 375 H&H, the next year I traded out the 375 H&H for a 458 Lott and brought a different 30-06.

Why those two, loose your ammo and you'll find out! That's not to say there isn't a lot of other cartridges available to be had over in Africa. Wildcats, not likely. Scotty's 7x57 mauser, the 9.3x62 yep you'll see that too, 308 Winchesters, a 22 Hornet... very popular! Just depends on which country you're in, and more importantly where you are at the time? The Capital city, or in the Bush miles from a good sporting goods store?

The Lott can safely fire a 458 WM, the 375 H&H is used by more hunters in Africa then all the medium calibers combined I'm sure, and most of all can be shot well by most shooters compared to the guy shooting a 378 WBY, or his 460 WBY. Not that it can't be done, just not a lot of the guys with a brand new guns they've never really mastered to shoot very well.

I'd rather see someone show up with something they shoot real well then just shear power. Oh, come to think of it the reason I switched 30-06's! Rifle #2 was a Ruger Express with a 3/4 rib iron sight cut from a solid piece of steel! And the scope was easy to remove thanks to the Ruger rings holding a 1.5-5 VXIII setup. (HAD TO EDIT IT WAS A VXIII)

Did anyone read my new today when Good Scopes Go Bad? Hence the reason for the iron sights and removable scope! It's cheap insurance if something fails, and your equipment doesn't go completely out of commision.

So Scotty is going Moose Hunting in Maine and a big party at the same time? What the heck, he's using a 30-06 too?

Cole,
He wont reply since I caught him admitting he could hunt with a lowly common 30/06 ! I think he is probably " gun shy" he could caught in a crossfire from Dr Mike and Myself
So he is now treading very gingerly. I am sure he tryed to amend the post but I heard it had been LOCKED. Apparently
They plan to hold his " feet to the fire" this time!

Cole,

You make a great point about back up sights.

My 338-06 wears its scope in QD rings and has iron sights, while my Rugers in 376 Steyr and 416 Taylor use the normal Ruger rings that detach quickly with a screwdriver, and both have NECG peep sights for the Ruger mounting system, to accompany the banded front sights. The 9.3x62 will be equipped the same upon completion, and will go to Africa on my second trip for leopard, cape buffalo and sitatunga.

Scotty isn't using a 30-06 folks. :lol: I've got one in the safe presently but it isn't likely it'll oust my Mashburn or 338 anytime soon.

Saying that, if I draw that Maine moose tag it should be a heckuva party.

I can probably eat my body weight in lobster.

Sounded like he said he wants " toast an
Mashed Potatoes or his .348 ????...oh boy not sure what those left handed Lucky Strikes may have done to effect his memory? :?

Cole,
I hear you on the open sights as a back up, I used to rig up
Sakos with their slip on reciever sight that just slips onto the rear integral base. I had TWO 2.5x8 VxIIIs in Sako rings.
If anything happened to a scope I simply installed the extra
One that was already 200 yd Zeroed. In the unlikely event the 2nd scope failed, had the reciever sight in my pack.

Now, see, those backup sights aren't really necessary if you use the Braille system of aiming. :shock: Works every time for me. (y) Been using it for more years than I care to remember. :mrgreen:

I know full-well that Scotty has been secretly lusting after a 30-06 for more years than he can remember. Now it is in his safe, it is only a matter of time until he is seduced by the siren call of the rifle. It will displace any of a number of other love affairs he has had with a Mashburn or a 338. The first, critical step has already been taken., :lol:

Mike,
The hard part is over now..... He has basically come out of the closet and sheepishly taken the first big step to migrating away from his younger wild ideas, and like a fine wine he is turning the corner, I have no doubt soon to become a mature vintage .......... (y)
Heck, If they would have just started printing "300 Whelen" on the end of the boxes; Scotty would have been lugging one for years! :lol:

In actual fact they really should call it something fancy as the truth of it all is : With todays modern enhanced loadings , the 30/06 is really the same thing as the 300 H&H was for so many years......
Here is a quote from a recent article after Craig Boddington, talked Ruger; Into building some 500 Hawkeyes with 26" barrels chambered in the classic 300 H&H caliber again........ Ruger calls it the "Kudo". However,
when referencing Hornady Superformance Ammo from the old lowly 06.......... ( this is going to stir up the soup) :wink:

Boddington says "The bad news is current loads(for the 300 H&H) are limited to 180-grain bullets, and ALL are pretty conservative at a standard 2,880 fps, about the same as the “enhanced velocity” .30-06 loadings available today. :shock:

Thats Craig bowing his head .......... So 06 guys hold your heads high, because in todays world of ammo your shooting a ......... 300 Lt Magnum...........(Scotty rejoice!) It is a Magnum; it just doesnt say so on the box!

Omg: April will probably never speak to me again! At the very least I bet I am restricted to ONE martini?

I do have to admit that nothing looks as cool or feels as good as the H&H cartridges do when I have them in my hand....... :grin:

Back