Age & Hunting...

I have always hunted slow and found more game in lower pockets than I ever did up high ( deer/elk,etc) I know for a fact I've never, even in my Army days, would enjoy climbing high for sheep, etc. Just not my thing. I've found hunting with horses to be far more work than it was worth for me, too many wrecks and rodeos, ha. I now hunt a topo map for areas that I know I can access by vehicle ( or get close to like our Wilderness area) locate the forestry trails and take off. If not too far from the vehicle I can still drag a buck out, or get help. I prefer late season cow hunts so there is snow and I usually have help. If not, I treat them like Johnny Cash and his car...a piece at a time and drag out. I use either a plastic sled or boned out meat in an old Army duffel bag and drag it out. I like the shoulder harness/rope drag out fits best. Since I am bolted together from my neck down to my knees, I don't do heavy packs ( I didn't like them when I was 18 either ha) So I don't even have a pack frame. I like being older, hassle and all, its all part of life and I just adjust as I go. The main thing is to "go", ha. I have always enjoyed exotic game hunts ( you just have to find the right ranch/farm with plenty of acres) so its all good.

I once heard an old timer say "I'm not slowing down, young people have just learned to be faster"

Had a young lady who worked for me respond to a bank robbery. Shortly she is belting out a suspect description of the robber who fled on foot. Her final phrase sealed the guys fate; "he's really old, like 40, he couldn't have gone very far"
Keep moving age is just a number, well mostly.

salmonchaser":1pp1gddn said:
Had a young lady who worked for me respond to a bank robbery. Shortly she is belting out a suspect description of the robber who fled on foot. Her final phrase sealed the guys fate; "he's really old, like 40, he couldn't have gone very far"

That is truly funny! Sheesh! These young'uns always leave a laugh in their wake. :mrgreen:

salmonchaser":2e3b6gj5 said:

Salmon chaser
She didn't happen to be a young indian girl from the Canadian Territories did she ? Dr Mike and I know one who is a real pain in the butt!

I admit the older I get, the more martini's it seems to take for my joints to quit hurting. I have honestly felt better since moving to a warmer climate, i just can not handle the cold and wet weather any more

Over all people, I think we are all doing quite well. When hunting the Mountains this past August I had the privilege of hunting with 3 great men and 1 young lad that is going to be a great outdoors man before his Pa has to quit hiking with him in the Mountains. DrMike, Gil & I were able to get to where we had to be just no luck when we arrived :lol:.
gerry is in unbelievable shape all the years of hiking the Mountains along with guiding has kept him as fit as most men half his age.
I would like one more crack at a BC bull moose before I am finished but I will have to save up for that as this year I maybe taking my bride and tracking a little further west to try some fishing :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Well, there is always a place for you here, Dan. I think we would go to another area next time, trying to get away from where the wolves have settled in. Gil and I pinned down two young bulls a couple of days after the season and saw two bull calves in October when we were up north. I've run into several young bulls since then. Because we haven't had a severe winter (as would have been normal), the moose are able to avoid the wolves. In deep snow, the wolves have the advantage. Of course, I would hope that you and Nettie will stop by as you travel toward the sunset to try your hand at salmon fishing.

DrMike, if we do head to gerry's for a little fishing. We would definitely stop in for a visit I believe it is my turn for Sunday lunch after a good Baptist church service (y).

Blessings,
Dan

It's not the years it's the miles. A decade or 2 ago I was running 8 to 12 miles a day, lifting weights at least 3 times a week, teaching Tae Kwon Do 3 times a week, and continuing my own martial arts training at least once a week. I was also training and breaking horses. I was strong, fast and totally fit.
I turned 63 last November and I almost needed a wheelchair to get around.
I had a knee replaced in 2014 and a hip replaced just last monday. I've got spinal stenosis and several other ailments that will require surgery.
If you have a little age and can hike the mountains and get around maybe you should get on your knees and thank god for your good fortune.
If I could do those things again I would do so every day.
Fortune smiles or frowns on each of us according to it's will, not ours.

This is the exact reason I am headed to Kansas this fall, I don't need another big Whitetail, but I wouldn't mind another great hunting memory! I am still going strong but who knows, none of us knows when anything could come over us. So just need to be thankful we have gotten this far without any health problems and try to take as good care of ourselves as we possibly can!

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I just turned 70 and I'm getting ready for my fifty fourth elk season. I drew area 7 in WY and I should draw the Kaibab in Arizona for deer. My wife killed her first elk in 2014 a 320 class bull at the age of 66. I had a heart bypass when I was 28 and
I never let it keep me from doing any physical activities. I have slowed down but luckily I still have good knees and hips. So if you're physically able keep on doing what you enjoy.

Welcome aboard, 69gto. Good to see you posting here. We're wishing you every success this season on both elk and on drawing deer in AZ.

Thank you Dr. Mike, I have maximum deer points so I should draw either my first or second choice.

69, Welcome aboard!!! I think perhaps you and I are soul mates. I also just turned 70, i killed my second elk in 61, near "Old Cold Springs" east of Billy Meadows Ranger Station. my last one, last fall a Spike in Mt. Emily. I currently have a Wyoming tag, and hope to draw in Az, and NE Oregon.
what are you shooting and are you a reloader? you will love this forum, its the best that i have ever been on.

Thanks Elkman, I shoot a.338 win.,.257 wby.,.270 win. The wife and daughter shoot .270 win. and .270 wby. I also have a 6.5-300 and .270 wbys on order. Yes been reloading since the 60's. I hope you draw your tags. Did you apply for early Az. elk? The wife drew in 2014 she had 20 points. I archery hunt elk in Oregon as they are right in my back yard.

69, I applied for the late hunt, for a couple of reasons. A little easier to draw and because I will probably have two hunts ahead of that one. I do some bowhunting here in Washington and will start drawing some special hunt tags in the next year or so. i will have to cut back on my hunts pretty soon as its getting harder every year to do three in a row.

Grandpa was up in his 70's when he caught this fox moving to slow. He could still awing that model 12. :) Jumped his last stock dam after he was 80. Fed cattle and walked at least a mile every day. Like the pictures

Oh Grandpa liked to fish too....

Elkman, what unit did you apply for on late Az. I have hunted 3a-3c twice, once muzzleloader and with wife on early rifle. Also I archery hunted 3b and helped a friend on a unit 9 archery hunt so I am familiar with some of the state. Next year I plan on putting in for unit 10 late, should draw with my 11 points.

Back