"All around" 308 bullet?

Any change in components will change accuracy but hunting/protection accuracy is different than long range shooting. I usually start 1/2 way between max and starter loads. No need to shoot more than three "ever" for your projected usage. You may need more than a few trips to the range. There are lots of variables in loading, a critical component is also bullet depth. So start out with some moderate loads at factory length and work up and carefully while marking each three shot string. In my experience most rifles will achieve the best accuracy with less than a maximum load, but all are different. Do not focus on accuracy, but accuracy for your intended use. If you can hit a 6 inch plate consistently at 100 yards, you will have a rifle that will meets your needs. You may want smaller groups but that also comes with practice and refining your loads. It may take some time, we are always here to help if you need it.

So I got home from the store today and realized I bought interlock round nose bullets instead of the sp.

Hornady web site didn't,really,go into detail so should I just use them, or try and take them back ?

Would I have to start all over and develope a load or could I,use what I had worked up with the sp?

The hornady manual lists all of the bullet shapes in 150 grain and they all use the same powder charges.

Just wondering what the advantage or disadvantage of a rn or sp?

The biggest disadvantage to a round-nose bullet for me, is that they have a fairly poor Ballistic Coefficient, and tend to slow down, losing velocity, at more modest ranges.

Other than that, the round-nose soft-point bullets I've used worked great. They were accurate, and opened up well on game. I haven't used a lot of them over the years, but I have no reservation about doing so, at more modest ranges. Out to 200 - 250 yards or maybe even farther. I'll bet that .308 slings 'em fine, even at 300 yards.

You may need to adjust your sight-in zero. They're likely to drop quite a bit more at 300 yards.

Regards, Guy

Guy nailed it. I have used round nose bullets in other cartridges. You will lose reach, but they will perform well, nevertheless.

Nan_wpg":31o54v4p said:
Excuse me as I'm new to the rifle, and reloading.

I have a 308 that I want to use as a "scout" type rifle. It will be used at the cabin for wolf, and black bear protection, ...

My rifle has shot both the 150 and 180 partitions in the federal vital shock ammo.
Both were resonably accurate, though I preferred the recoil of the 150.

Bet that you will NOT feel any recoil when shooting at a Wolf or Bear!

Nan_wpg
Hope I'm not out of line recommending some good books and a professional writer on this forum. Check out John Barsness at riflesandrecipes.com his books "Obsessions of a Rifle Looney" and The Big Book of Gun Gack" are two that I would start with. They will answer almost all of your questions as a beginning reloader, hunter and rifle enthusiast.

He has several other books that are a wealth of information also. John writes for several gun magazines and is one of the most knowledgeable and sensible writers in the business today. He is easy to speak to and available by phone or email if he is not hunting somewhere. They answer emails and the phone personally.

Another forum you may want to look at is 24hourcampfire.com, like any internet forum you will have to sort out the wheat from the chaff, but you'll soon determine who the knowledgeable contributors are. I have no investment in either of these entities, other than time spent enjoying the information presented and the banter that goes on in internet forums.

Personally, I would choose the 150 grain E-tip, 150/165 AccuBond or Partition using from 45 to 46 grains of Varget with complete confidence for general hunting. For the big bears, I would move up to the 180 grain AccuBond or Partition with Noslers data for Varget. As always, you should start 5 to 10% below max and work up for the best accuracy you can get with acceptable velocity.

This is a little more advanced, but OCW from Dan Owen is my preferred method for developing accurate/fast loads for my rifles that are safe and effective.
http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace. ... 4533485759

Bruce

balew6254, you are most certainly NOT out of line recommending some web sites, and books.

I actually have the OCW site in my bookmarks as I "found" it recently.

Gonna order those books. They look like a good read.

I'll also check out the 24campfiremsite.

Thanks for the info

Nan_wpg,
A subscription to Rifle Looney news is well worth the price also and you get access to all the back issues.

Good Luck in your research,
Bruce

Back