All new members enter here.

Well it took me long enough, but I finally found the introduction thread. I'm from north central Ohio, about an hour southwest of Cleveland. I'm 32, and I'm an Air Traffic Controller. I hunt deer in Ohio and Pennsylvania, and also black bear in PA (no luck with the bear yet). I handload for about 7 or 8 different rifle cartridges, and probably just as many pistol cartridges. Just recently joined a bench rest only rifle range to try my hand at shooting competitively.

Harv6, welcome aboard; glad to have you here. What cartridges are you loading? You'll tag a bruin shortly, no doubt. Any pictures of your deer? Everyone here is a certified rifle crank; pictures of rifles are always a hit.

Welcome Harv6, you have now joined the best rifle forum on the net. Great people with a ton of knowledge all you have to do is ask. Well not all the time there are lots here are will help even when they are not ask 8). I hope that you know that I am just kidding.
Again welcome to the forum looking forward to getting acquainted.

Blessings,
Dan

DrMike":2468mdnz said:
Harv6, welcome aboard; glad to have you here. What cartridges are you loading? You'll tag a bruin shortly, no doubt. Any pictures of your deer? Everyone here is a certified rifle crank; pictures of rifles are always a hit.

In rifles I load 223 rem, 25-06, 270win, 7mmRM, 300savage, 30-06, 375ruger, and 480 Ruger.

In handguns I load for 9mm, 38spl, 357mag, 40s&w, 41mag, and 45acp.

No pictures handy at the moment but I'll see what I can dig up. None of the deer I've shot are all that impressive. One nice little 8 point (my first buck) is all I've got hanging. I don't have enough under my belt to feel "selective." If I can take a shot and fill a tag I will!. I do have a couple rifles I like to show off. My Savage 99 takedown made in 1927 is one of my newer ones. Picked it up last fall, got an accurate handload on the first charge I tried, took it out to the woods, and dropped a button buck at 185 yards. That gun just feels like it has soul. My Rossi 92 in 480 ruger is about as rare as rifles get. 11 Rounds of that stuffed into a tiny rifle makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.

hello all I posted a greeting in off topic didn't see this one thank fotus for showing me the direction,lol my name is jody I live in so cal, I just got a tikka t3 in 270 win. and already started to reload nosler e tips for it so far this is the best forum ive found everyone is so willing to help out from what I have read it is nice to meet you all and if u live in so cal maybe we can go shoot at A place to shoot in santa clarita ca. best wishes to all

Hi Harv6, you shoot a big enough range of calibers to fit right in here. Plus you have some medium magnums, welcome

Again, welcome aboard, Jody.

Harv6, that is a fine range of cartridges you're loading for. I consider every head of game a trophy; each one has a story behind it. The marks on my rifles are composed of memories that tell a far richer story than any tongue can express.

Hello everyone :wave:

Just a fellow gun enthusiast and an amateur reloader.

I have only loaded for my .223, but have all the components to begin working up loads for .308 & .30-06.

Currently shooting 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, over Benchmark. Working on a load for 53 grain Barnes TSX, over H4895.

My .308 development will begin with Hornady 178 grain Amax & Varget.

The '06 development will be twofold: Power Pro 4000MR and 178 grain Amax, and IMR 4831 with 200 grain Nosler Accubonds.

I see you found your way over here. Again, welcome aboard. I'll be interested to see how your work with the Powder Pro turns out. We haven't seen it here in Canada yet (officially). I do have a couple of pounds I cadged. I need to do something with it now. I do have some plans, just need to find more time. The work-up in your '06 with the 200 grain AccuBond should go quickly for you, however. The bullet should work very well.

zacii, welcome to Nosler. Ask a question and you will receive an answer most everyone here except me is very knowledgeable about reloading and I'm still learning.

Hello to everyone!
My name is John, and I live in Hot Springs, Arkansas. I started reloading when I was about 15 and things progressed from there. Currently, I reload for 6.5 x 55, 270 WSM, 308 Win, 30-06, and of course, the 30-30 Winchester. There is always room to learn new things and I believe this is a good place to do that. I am currently having some trouble getting the 270 WSM to shoot properly, so I though I'd have a look around the forum and try to get some ideas.

Thanks for reading.

john

Welcome aboard I think you'll find this site to your liking. Lots of people willing to help and more knowledge than you can imagine. (y)
Oh there are lots of enablers here and you need to watch out for the master of them all, he goes by DrMike and loves to preach about your having to acquiring new rifles and other things. :roll: :lol:
If you stay here long enough you will find that you really need a 35 Whelen since it's one of the most popular calibers shot here though there are other calibers used for hunting nothing beats a 35 Whelen all you have to do is ask. :mrgreen:

truck driver":2g60x9se said:
Welcome aboard I think you'll find this site to your liking. Lots of people willing to help and more knowledge than you can imagine. (y)
Oh there are lots of enablers here and you need to watch out for the master of them all, he goes by DrMike and loves to preach about your having to acquiring new rifles and other things. :roll: :lol:
If you stay here long enough you will find that you really need a 35 Whelen since it's one of the most popular calibers shot here though there are other calibers used for hunting nothing beats a 35 Whelen all you have to do is ask. :mrgreen:

Thanks, Truck Driver. I could use some advice, but not sure about a 35 Whelen. lol
I have a 270 WSM that shoots dead on at 50 yards, but throws bullets all over the place at 100 yards. Not sure where to post this, but I'll look at the different sections.

John, glad to have you posting here. Don't listen to Truck Driver; he's just stirring up trouble. Those fellers from Maryland think they can mess with a good ol' boy from Arkansas. Don't let 'em mess with you. A good Kansas boy like me, now you can trust! :wink: You know we would never steer you wrong.

Tell us a bit about what you're loading in your 270 WSM and let us see what we can do for you. I've taken several moose, elk and whitetail with my 270 WSM. I'm shooting 130 grain E-Tips in mine; it is giving me sub-MOA groups. I do allow a pretty good jump to the lands. Still, give us a summary of what you're loading and a few details of your rifle. Perhaps some of us can make suggestions that will help.

Welcome all.

Lots of knowledge in this bunch and I'm always learning from the group.

Been fortunate enough to meet a few over the phone or in person and the folks here are great.

Pull up a stool and join in.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Vince":3r0khtgg said:
Welcome all.

Lots of knowledge in this bunch and I'm always learning from the group.

Been fortunate enough to meet a few over the phone or in person and the folks here are great.

Pull up a stool and join in.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Vince!

John, just remember I warned you about a certain person from Kansas :roll: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
I will say he is very helpful when it comes to reloading info and if we had his stash of powder and bullets we would be set for life. (y)

DrMike":2ad3x24n said:
John, glad to have you posting here. Don't listen to Truck Driver; he's just stirring up trouble. Those fellers from Maryland think they can mess with a good ol' boy from Arkansas. Don't let 'em mess with you. A good Kansas boy like me, now you can trust! :wink: You know we would never steer you wrong.

Tell us a bit about what you're loading in your 270 WSM and let us see what we can do for you. I've taken several moose, elk and whitetail with my 270 WSM. I'm shooting 130 grain E-Tips in mine; it is giving me sub-MOA groups. I do allow a pretty good jump to the lands. Still, give us a summary of what you're loading and a few details of your rifle. Perhaps some of us can make suggestions that will help.

Thanks, DrMike!

Well, I haven't fired this rifle very much—40 times. It is a Kimber SuperAmerica. First, I tested a box of Remington 130 gr. Core Lokts. I started sighting in the scope at 50 yards. This is a good Leupold VX 3 scope that I have used on another rifle. Then, at 100 yards the groups opened up to about 7 or 8 inches. Yesterday, I loaded some 130 gr. Hornady InterLocks. I seated those to the cannelure, so I haven't played with the seating depth. Nevertheless, I don't think that the seating depth will make such a dramatic difference. I did remove the stock and it looks like very little bedding material has been used by the factory, almost like someone used their bubble gum to bed the thing. I thought about trying some Nosler Ballistic Tips, as I have had excellent results with them, but I still doubt that the bullet is the problem. By the way, I'm not an excellent shot, but I typically get groups around an inch with my Remington 700, 30-06. I also get around an inch, or less, with my Kimber Montana in 308. Getting good groups with the Montana makes me even more curious concerning the problem. I am using Remington brass, Winchester magnum rifle primers. IMR 4350 was the powder that I used to reloaded the cartridges. I just don't know. I'll get some more brass pretty soon and keep working on it. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

P.S. I shot a very tight 5-shot group at 50 yards and three of the bullets went through the same hole. I was really excited until I moved out to 100 yards. My excitement went downhill at that point.

Back