all pupose 7 Mag

JD338,

I use 67 grains of H4831 in W-W cases & Fed mag primers with 160 grain Partitions & get under MOA, which I think is more than sufficient for hunting. Additionally, this load chronos at better than 3100 FPS. So I am pretty darn happy with Partitions.

I have an old reloading guide that indicates 63 grains of IMR 4350 & 160 Partitons work well, too. However, this does exceed later loadings. Maybe I can get around to working up to this load, or as close as I can safely get.

Take care,

Tom

fJD338 wrote: 'Don't underestimate the accuracy pf the PT's. I am getting under .5" in my 338 RUM ....."

Of course, individual rifles will groups bullets differently. For years, I had tried Nosler Partitions in various rifles and had not gotten as tight a group as could get from other bulllets. These tests were in .270Win, 30-06 and 7mm. Finally, when the AccuBond bullets emerged, I took another look at Nosler and began to print very good groups with my single shot B78 and Tikka Whitetail, both in 7mmRemMag. Both rifles shot better with 140gr AB then with Hornady 139gr Interbond, BearClaw, GrandSlam and Swift Scirocco. I would not be surprised to hear reports that flipped those results. I am certain that many have gotten excellent shooting out of Partitions, over the years, or they would not still be around. I am saying that with my limited test, I had some failures, in terms of accuracy with Partitions. I was attempting to get MV in excess of 3000 fps, so that may well have affected my experiences.

Tom1911,

Great shooting, sounds like you have found the right load.

roysclockgun,

You are correct, every rifle is an individual. I have always been able to get under MOA with PT's in every rifle I have owned. Consistancy is the key. I have have great luck with Federal Gold Match primers. Case prep is also very important to get consistant results. And then there is COL, you have to find the sweetspot. I load +/- .020" off the lands or as long as the magazine will allow.

I get this kind of accuracy with factory seconds too.

Right Nosler2?

Regards,

JD338

Has anyone from Nosler or privately had the chance to field test the 160gr AccuBond in the 7mmRemMag for Elk yet? If so, how did it perform? Does it get the necessary pentration to take down a large bull elk?

Reloader28 stated:
The 140's are fine for Whitetail & Antelope but I would go with the 160 for Elk. I load the 160's for Pigs, Axis & Elk. The 160's possess greater penetration and shock trauma.

He did not state that he actually shot an elk with one. It was referred to be by the outfitter that I booked a trip with this year and I am curious if I should switch from the tried and true Nosler Partition. Any comments from Nosler would be appreciated as well...

Thanks,

Iamanoak

I have not personally whacked an Elk yet. I have smacked a Whitetail and an Axis with the 140 AccuBond. Very accurate. Entrance wound was bullet diameter and exit was silver dollar diameter. Both shoulder shots anchored them.

Were I to already have a good PT load worked up, I'd use it, depending on how far away your hunt is. If I had the time, I would switch to the Accubonds and never look back. They are very accurate.

I believe the AccuBond to have the same properties as the PT and then some. There are several posts here from those who have taken Elk with the Accubonds.

I have used the 160AB to harvest both elk and moose. In terms of the elk it touched no heavy bone passing through both lungs and exiting the animal on 150 yards shot. This was a raghorn bull that went down inside of 75 yards, the entrance hole was diameter and exit was 1 1/2". On the bull moose I fired 2 shots, 1st that hit lungs and was found on the opposite side in a perfect mushroom (weight retention was just over 60%) & 2 nd shot through the heart exited leaving the same wound channel. Shot was 125 approx. I never needed the second but anyone who has hunted moose knows they inhabit some tough terrain and often stand unphased after a good hit, so I let him take one more. The bull never made it 20 yards before tipping over. We estimated the bull to be close to 1000lbs on the hoof, so I am sure the 160 would be able to get it done on even the largest bull elk. I might add neither of these loads were pushed to extreme I settle in right around 3000 fps with IMR7828, due to accuracy and being my first real test for the AB.

I also used this load to shoot whitetails that fall average sized doe and 300lb + buck. In the case of the buck on a 1/4 away I blew right through the scapula and dropping him in his tracks. Shot was slightly over 200 yards.

In all cases the vitals were soup, just like a NBT but without the massive holes or bloodshot.

BTW I have always loved the BT for deer and pronghorn but am starting to like the AB more and more for this purpose. I plan to play with the 140 version for deer/lopers for 06'...we'll see!

If your needing some trajectory gain like suggested try the 150NP for these animals. It has proven itself time and time for myself in the 7mm rm. Just my new 7mm mag doesn't chuck them as well as the previous one...still acceptable but that ain't why we reload.......is it...lol.

The only 140 Nosler's I'd suggest are the CT Failsafes when elk are on tap.

Best of luck

I load for a 7mm Dakota & have settled on the 160grNP for everything. It shoots submoa & kills deer to elk w/ equal effect. The diff. in trajectory out to 400yds btwn. the 140 & 160 is really negligent.

Skeeter Wrote:

I have used the 160AB to harvest both elk and moose. In terms of the elk it touched no heavy bone passing through both lungs and exiting the animal on 150 yards shot. This was a raghorn bull that went down inside of 75 yards, the entrance hole was diameter and exit was 1 1/2". On the bull moose I fired 2 shots, 1st that hit lungs and was found on the opposite side in a perfect mushroom (weight retention was just over 60%) & 2 nd shot through the heart exited leaving the same wound channel. Shot was 125 approx. I never needed the second but anyone who has hunted moose knows they inhabit some tough terrain and often stand unphased after a good hit, so I let him take one more. The bull never made it 20 yards before tipping over. We estimated the bull to be close to 1000lbs on the hoof, so I am sure the 160 would be able to get it done on even the largest bull elk. I might add neither of these loads were pushed to extreme I settle in right around 3000 fps with IMR7828, due to accuracy and being my first real test for the AB.

SWEET!!! That is the answer I have been looking for... I have already loaded about a 110 rounds of AB 160 using RL22 and IMR4350, starting low of course and working up slowly. I will keep trying diffent powders until I find the most accurate load for my Weatherby 7mmRemMag. I figure that I will be shooting all summer until I find a load I am satified with. But hey, isn't that all part of the fun in getting ready for season? :grin:

iamanoak wrote: "...I figure that I will be shooting all summer until I find a load I am satified with. But hey, isn't that all part of the fun in getting ready for season? ..."

I found out, years ago, that hand loading and working up loads for hunting really extended my "hunting season". Being ready is surely an important part of most successful hunts and when the tasking of being ready is pleasureable, that causes the entire exercise to be a joy indeed!

I would agree completely with JD338 on Partition accuracy. I also shoot a .338 ultramag with 225 partitions out of my 700 and 1 3/8" groups are no problem at 200 yards. I also load about 100FPS below max, both for recoil considerations and the fact that the game will never know the difference. The .338 ultramag is one fine Elk stomper.

I have a 160gr Partition load that is awsome, 81gr H870 at 3130fps and accuracy is great, trying to find H870 is getting hard these days cause hodgdon discontiued it.

Back