All Sevens Today

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I've been able to walk without a cane for about two weeks now. That means that I get a tad antsy at times and believe I should be shooting (or something). Moreover, the pain has been manageable for the past couple of days. I did preach without being seated on Sunday, and it hurt pretty badly by evening. However, Monday was relatively pain free and Tuesday was so free of pain that I questioned whether I might be dead or something since the knees were not hurting. (A dear lady from Barbados used to say to me, "Pastor, if it don't hurt, it don't work.") Since I was walking and going up and down stairs I knew that things were working; but sans pain, I was disoriented. I didn't want to waste the newfound freedom, so I seated myself at the bench on Monday and loaded up some rounds to pop off. Since the boys in the back were wondering if I was ever going to return the final rifle that I had, it was a good excuse to get to work.

Leaving home in the dark (at 8:15), I took several rifles to the range with me this morning. I knew it wouldn't be light enough to shoot for groups until at least nine, so I knew I would have time to get set up. The temperature was mild, but there was plenty of snow cover, so I anticipated that I would have the range to myself. I saw a cow and calf moose as I entered into the compound. As I was setting up, I noticed that numerous deer had traversed the range during the past several days. They had climbed the berms to graze on the grasses buried beneath the snow. That is always a pleasant knowledge that I am sharing with numerous animals, even when I don't necessarily see them. At 9 a.m., the temperature was -1 C. It was drop to -4.5 C by noon, and then rise to +4 by two in the afternoon. There was not a breeze for the entire day. It was perfect for shooting.

Here's a look at the rifles I had racked.

Yep! Only one would be for a client. They rest belong to me; and they needed to be shot. The shop rifle shoots exceptionally well. The right group and the left group were from this particular rifle. The customer requested 180 grain Berger VLDs, and this load was charged with H4831SC. The four-shot group on the right had one shot pulled. I called it, and the next three settled in quite nicely.

This is the rifle, built on a Defiance action, carbon fibre barrel and topped with a Nightforce 5.5-22X56 NXS scope.

The rifle is a pleasure to shoot. The boys in the back do build a nice rifle; and the rifles generally shoot quite well. I did another set of loads with this rifle, built with IMR7828SSC, and it shot just as well as the first set of loads. Here is a sample of that set of loads.

I did have a few of my own rifles, as well. For instance, I took by 7X57 topped with a 3-9X42 Kahles. This is a reasonably new rifle that I'm still working with.

The rifle has potential. I worked up a load built around 140 grain Partitions, but it didn't care for that particular load. However, when I fed it 120 grain Ballistic Tips, it showed some promise. The picture is not very good, but the group is reasonably satisfying (0.33 inches). I'll finish all measurements tomorrow. All the loads had very low standard deviations, giving me reason to believe that playing with seating depth will turn these pumpkins into coaches fit for a queen.

I also had my .284 Win along with me. It is topped with a Leupold VX6 3-18X44.

One group in particular has real promise. A load built around 140 grain E-Tips gave me a 0.71 inch grouping. Again, with three different load spectrums, all delivered excellent ballistic data, though the groups were not all that I wanted. Here is the 140 E-Tip load, however.

Lastly, I had my own 7WSM along for the ride. It is an old favourite, topped with a 2.5-10X42 Leica. It doesn't get shot nearly enough.

It does shoot quite well on occasion. I was working on a new load with 140 grain E-Tips. The right hand group gives an idea of what this bullet looks like it will do. That is a 0.53 inch group, which is promising.

On the whole, a satisfying day. Okay, it can snow again tonight. I have television editing to do for the next two days.

Hey, I see that Kahles, but it has a parallax adjustment without the adjustable turrets and yet it looks like an older model 3-9x42..... where that come from Mike?

BTW, glad to hear you're up walking around upright. Hopefully you'll recover sooner rather then later little buddy!

Looks as though all of your rifles are shooting pretty well. I am glad to hear that the knee is feeling better and the cane is gone for now. We have been having torrential rain for the past couple of weeks which means that my house roof has not been repaired from the October storm. We had 60 mph gust yesterday and today.

My right knee menisci have been keeping me on my cane for 3 months now. Donna has to have a hip replacement. So, the menisci will have to wait. At least your knee is better.

My Kahles 3-9x42 does not have parallax adjustment. Yours must be a newer model?

Mike
It looks like it was a perfect day. Congratulations on your mobility, your time off from shooting does not seem to have effected your shooting the least bit. It sounds like you are doing very well. Keep up the physical therapy, and don't try and do to much to fast.

Kevin, I have no idea where that scope came from; and if anyone asks, I'll deny it. :grin: Kinda like Topsy--it just happened! Yeah, it works for me.

Charlie, sorry to hear about the knees. I do know they can hurt like everything. I likely overdid it today, so I'll be hitting the sack with a heating pad this evening. I'm sure grateful for anti-inflammatories.

Bill, it was good just to feel the cold on my cheeks and to sit at the bench and pull the triggers. I continue the exercises to strengthen the quads to compensate for the torn menisci. There is a bit of pain this evening (I'm a terrible patient), but it feels as if it is minor. I'll definitely keep it up and warm this evening. Two days to sitting before a computer to edit television programming will allow me to baby it somewhat.

Glad you are recovering.
I often leave for the range in the dark to be there at first light. This time of the year I usually have it to myself for two hours or more. I have shot in temps in the low teens Fahrenheit and as long as there is no wind and I have the right gear on I am comfortable. I do carry the pocket chemical hand-warmers.

I have quit shooting when the temperatures are below -15 C (5 F) because all my solvents for cleaning freeze. My own rifles can wait. But when I am on a schedule to return a customer's rifle to him, it needs to go back clean. So, range trips often have extended periods cleaning. I have shot when it was as cold as -30 C (-22 F), but that was a few years back. I have gained a bit of wisdom in the intervening years. I often have the range to myself for the entire day. Today, however, there were three shooters who showed up to bang a few rounds. Two were finalizing loads for winter elk and one was another rifle crank like myself. None stayed very long, so I was able to get quite a bit accomplished.

With 20% (FEV) lung capacity, I can't sit out doors for more than about 5 minutes when it is below freezing and/or windy. Limits me to range days above 40*F as it is always windy here.

Nice work Mike. Glad you are getting around.
What are your thoughts on the VX 6 3-18x44?
I have the same scope. Great optics but a huge disappointment
with the turrets. Leupold could have done a better job there.

JD338

You nailed it, Jim. However, I do like the glass (I now have two VX6s; and I'm likely to add another in the near future).

You should be able to send it in for target/M1 knobs Jim. I'm debating on buying that same scope. Its too bad they dont offer more options for knobs.

Mike I have a question.
The wood stocks on your rifles look great and I
know the area and extreme weather in your neck
of the woods. My question is how well does a wood stock
hold up in those temps ? Is there something you do like
sealing them or anything to keep them from moving around ?
From your shooting this is a stupid question...
As for the knees I am hoping the Lord will take care of them
I seem to be on mine a lot when we talk. Skid

I haven't taken any particular precautions. I should seal the barrel channels (and I have materials to use); I simply have never taken time to do so. I've never had a serious problem with warpage, so I haven't been overly cautious with the wood rifles. Thank you for your kind thoughts concerning my physical problems. I'm grateful that I still have knees and can walk.

Great shooting and nice stable of 7s there. Nice choices on the glass also.
The 284 is particularly interesting. Always wanted one but keep getting sidetracked on other rifle adventures. :grin:
Knee troubles are no fun. Been an ongoing problem with me for 30 years and quite a few surgeries. Best of luck with yours. Sounds like Bill gave you some helpful advice on rehabbing or strengthening surrounding muscle. That should help a little.
Glad to see you were able to get out and play a little. Nice to see some of your targets again.

IdahoCTD":najyx08s said:
You should be able to send it in for target/M1 knobs Jim. I'm debating on buying that same scope. Its too bad they dont offer more options for knobs.

They do not offer M1's or anything above their CDS dial at this time.. Already tried. Love the scope, hate the adjustments..

Mike, your 7's are awesome. I really dig that 284 Winchester. That rifle is too cool!

Glad you got out to do some shooting. Your ahead of me and I 0 issues wrong with me!

DrMike it is great to hear the therapy is working and your able to get around better.
If I may suggest that you might want to try Acupuncture also if you have a practicing Asian acupuncturist locally to use. I was nearly a cripple from back injury's and have 7 ruptured disc from cervical to my lower lumbar and the acupuncture treatments I received from my Chinese acupuncturist relieved my pain and helped the nerves regenerate them selves without surgery. It also got me off pain meds which I was addicted to. Now the only pain medication I take is an aspirin now and then.

Rodger,

I am quite familiar with acupuncture. I pastored a Chinese congregation for a period of time. One of my parishioners was a herbalist/acupunturist. When medication did not resolve the pain arising from a frontal lobe injury, acupuncture could give relief. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any serving here in the frozen north.

Back