All weather / yearly loads

BretN":3dr7k0ek said:
My best groups with IMR4350 are usually not at the listed book max, but just a half to full grain or so below it. I have one gun that is pressure sensitive, so I have learned to not venture above book max.

My current 165 gr Sierra HPBT load for my new to me 30-06 has a good grouping just below max, but an outstanding grouping/node a perhaps 1.5 gr below max. It is so consistently accurate that I have just decided to use it for hunting. I don't have a chrony, but I would imagine this load is as much as 100-150 fps slower than the other node. I don't care. It's so stable and consistent, that I'm absolutely confident in it. Hot or cold, I can't imagine any problems with it. I developed it this past late winter and it shot well under .5". They shot just over .5" this summer when I verified it, so I loaded up a bunch of them.

IMR4350 was the powder the guy at the local reloading shop recommended to me over 20 years ago for anything in a '06 case. He wasn't wrong either. Compared to the newer powders, I suppose it's considered more temperature sensitive, but I've never notice a problem with it. But like you, my shots are seldom as far as away as 100 yards and probably 200 max in one stand. I could be shooting the most temperature insensitive powder and wouldn't likely be able to tell the difference when I pull the trigger on a deer at 45 yards. Good luck at the range.
Thank you Bret N for your reply , very helpful !!!!

Ray

Back