All weather / yearly loads

RAY

Handloader
Jan 31, 2015
You guys have given me your loads for 3006 before , I would like to know if you guys have worked those loads in cold temps or warm temps ?

If you have some for warm temps , how much below max were your loads and do you use your warm temp loads for cold temp hunting ?

Thanks , Ray

I took an IMR4350 and 180 AccuBond from 100 degree heat in Las Vegas to Wyoming in October for mule deer, no noticeable difference. Then to Utah in December for cow elk, and the cow died, but there was something not quite right about the hit. I never chrono'd the load in hot or cold temps.

Then I started using Ramshot Hunter with 180s. In some really cold weather I ran some rounds over a chrono and saw almost a 150 fps difference between hot weather and cold weather performance. I used the rest of the Hunter for fertilizer.

Now I am using H4350. I wouldn't go back, but I would also try IMR4451 if I couldn't get any H4350.

joelkdouglas":21uuls6s said:
I took an IMR4350 and 180 AccuBond from 100 degree heat in Las Vegas to Wyoming in October for mule deer, no noticeable difference. Then to Utah in December for cow elk, and the cow died, but there was something not quite right about the hit. I never chrono'd the load in hot or cold temps.

Then I started using Ramshot Hunter with 180s. In some really cold weather I ran some rounds over a chrono and saw almost a 150 fps difference between hot weather and cold weather performance. I used the rest of the Hunter for fertilizer.

Now I am using H4350. I wouldn't go back, but I would also try IMR4451 if I couldn't get any H4350.
Thanks JDK, what was the Imr 4350 load you worked up in the summer , I'm just curious ?

Ray, I think it was 56.5 grains. The accuracy was good for hunting, but nothing startling. And when I took the cow it was -5 that morning, quite a difference from 100 degree Vegas temps.

I rarely see pressure signs in my 30-06. Only once actually, with Hunter. I think because the SAAMI standard is only 60K PSI, so you have to exceed published loads quite a bit before you would see ejection marks. I have read something like 70K PSI for ejection marks.

Even 180 PTs and ABs at 2800 fps with H4350 has no pressure signs, at least not in my rifle with a 22.5 inch barrel.

joelkdouglas":1n1s6e81 said:
Ray, I think it was 56.5 grains. The accuracy was good for hunting, but nothing startling. And when I took the cow it was -5 that morning, quite a difference from 100 degree Vegas temps.

I rarely see pressure signs in my 30-06. Only once actually, with Hunter. I think because the SAAMI standard is only 60K PSI, so you have to exceed published loads quite a bit before you would see ejection marks. I have read something like 70K PSI for ejection marks.

Even 180 PTs and ABs at 2800 fps with H4350 has no pressure signs, at least not in my rifle with a 22.5 inch barrel.
Thank you JDK , very helpful !

My load of 56.5 grains of H4350 behind a 165 grain Partition in a .30-06 runs as high as 2820 in the summer and I have clocked as low as 2770 in the winter. The winter load was a day here in Idaho last winter at -15/ The summer load was 80 degrees also in Idaho.

filmjunkie4ever":t09h67ol said:
My load of 56.5 grains of H4350 behind a 165 grain Partition in a .30-06 runs as high as 2820 in the summer and I have clocked as low as 2770 in the winter. The winter load was a day here in Idaho last winter at -15/ The summer load was 80 degrees also in Idaho.
Thank you fj4, I guess 50 fps slower at that temp ain't nothin' on game ? How far out have you taken game with that load in winter ?
Ray.

I probably do load work ups during Tucson's very hot summers, temps in the mid 90's to around 110. Did one test session at 115 and that wasn't much fun. Loads worked just fine BTW. Most of my Arizona hunting has run in the low to mid 40" to upper 70's with a day or three running in the 80's in I draw for the southern part of the state. I usually try to draw in the northern part of the state but don't always get lucky.
The last 6 or 7 years I've been doing landowner elk hunts in new Mexico. No waiting, hoping praying that I draw a tag. Loads that were worked up in the summer have checked out OK when I double check my sight ins at the NRA's Whittington Center. No apparent change in point of impact even at 25 degrees above.
Powders used WMR, .270 Win., 280 Rem. and .300 Win. Mag., Re15, .35 Whelen, W760 in the 30-06. technically all are supposed to be very temperature sensitive but I've not seen and radical changes, one way or another While in New Mexico up by the Colorado border.
Usually when I do this hunt, I take two rifles, a primary and a backup. the last few times though I've taken as many as five rifles just so I can shoot some more at Whittington. (y) My buddies that hunt with me do the same and it's one way to check out other rifles and loads you don't have.
Paul B.

PJGunner":h6oeygkx said:
I probably do load work ups during Tucson's very hot summers, temps in the mid 90's to around 110. Did one test session at 115 and that wasn't much fun. Loads worked just fine BTW. Most of my Arizona hunting has run in the low to mid 40" to upper 70's with a day or three running in the 80's in I draw for the southern part of the state. I usually try to draw in the northern part of the state but don't always get lucky.
The last 6 or 7 years I've been doing landowner elk hunts in new Mexico. No waiting, hoping praying that I draw a tag. Loads that were worked up in the summer have checked out OK when I double check my sight ins at the NRA's Whittington Center. No apparent change in point of impact even at 25 degrees above.
Powders used WMR, .270 Win., 280 Rem. and .300 Win. Mag., Re15, .35 Whelen, W760 in the 30-06. technically all are supposed to be very temperature sensitive but I've not seen and radical changes, one way or another While in New Mexico up by the Colorado border.
Usually when I do this hunt, I take two rifles, a primary and a backup. the last few times though I've taken as many as five rifles just so I can shoot some more at Whittington. (y) My buddies that hunt with me do the same and it's one way to check out other rifles and loads you don't have.
Paul B.
Thank you Paul , is that w760 load at book max when it was worked up in the heat ?

RAY":34lf1mlm said:
filmjunkie4ever":34lf1mlm said:
Thank you fj4, I guess 50 fps slower at that temp ain't nothin' on game ? How far out have you taken game with that load in winter ?
Ray.

I have used many different guns and loads for various purposes over the years but below is a synopsis of my best experiences with my .30-06.

This (165 grain Partition, 56.5 grains of H4350) has been my "go-to" load for about 10 years now and have no regrets at all.

I have shot two coyotes out past 500 yards with this load. I got lucky enough that they couldn't tell where the bullets were coming from and I was able to get them on the third try each. These two were on different occasions, not together. This was in November a few years back in Eastern Oregon, from where I originally hail.

I shot four coyotes in one field. Four shots, four coyotes at about 125 yards distance. They didn't know where the bullets were coming from in this instance either. I have had this rifle, with this load when I happened to come across several (between 20 and 30) coyotes over the years.

Once when elk hunting, I shot a bobcat chewing on a dead fawn at about 75 yards. He was dead instantly.

I have shot several mule deer with this rifle over the years but a couple of them were taken at or just under 400 yards, each going down with the first shot. The part of the duplex reticle where it tapers from fine to bold was my holdover point. That's about a 24" or 26" drop at 400 yards.

I have killed a few elk with this rifle but none of them were over 200 yards away. One of them required a follow up shot but the others were down right there.

I have never gotten to throw down on a black bear or a moose but I feel like this load would be totally adequate for either of them. I have tried several other loads and bullet weights over the years but I always seem to come back to this one.

Incidentally Remington 165 grain Core-lokt Factory loads shoot to the same point of aim at 100 yards. Nice bonus if you need to spring for factory rounds out in the sticks.

For who I am and what I do, the plain-Jane .30-06 flipping a 165 grain bullet is just perfect. I have trifled with magnumitis over the years but this is the rifle I reach for when I go hunting. She will win no speed records and there are definitely tighter groups to be had on average but for me this is just what the doctor ordered.

Hope I didn't get too long-winded and that this article was of some help.

Good luck -

Dale

filmjunkie4ever":1v572j9r said:
RAY":1v572j9r said:
filmjunkie4ever":1v572j9r said:
Ray.

I have used many different guns and loads for various purposes over the years but below is a synopsis of my best experiences with my .30-06.

This (165 grain Partition, 56.5 grains of H4350) has been my "go-to" load for about 10 years now and have no regrets at all.

I have shot two coyotes out past 500 yards with this load. I got lucky enough that they couldn't tell where the bullets were coming from and I was able to get them on the third try each. These two were on different occasions, not together. This was in November a few years back in Eastern Oregon, from where I originally hail.

I shot four coyotes in one field. Four shots, four coyotes at about 125 yards distance. They didn't know where the bullets were coming from in this instance either. I have had this rifle, with this load when I happened to come across several (between 20 and 30) coyotes over the years.

Once when elk hunting, I shot a bobcat chewing on a dead fawn at about 75 yards. He was dead instantly.

I have shot several mule deer with this rifle over the years but a couple of them were taken at or just under 400 yards, each going down with the first shot. The part of the duplex reticle where it tapers from fine to bold was my holdover point. That's about a 24" or 26" drop at 400 yards.

I have killed a few elk with this rifle but none of them were over 200 yards away. One of them required a follow up shot but the others were down right there.

I have never gotten to throw down on a black bear or a moose but I feel like this load would be totally adequate for either of them. I have tried several other loads and bullet weights over the years but I always seem to come back to this one.

Incidentally Remington 165 grain Core-lokt Factory loads shoot to the same point of aim at 100 yards. Nice bonus if you need to spring for factory rounds out in the sticks.

For who I am and what I do, the plain-Jane .30-06 flipping a 165 grain bullet is just perfect. I have trifled with magnumitis over the years but this is the rifle I reach for when I go hunting. She will win no speed records and there are definitely tighter groups to be had on average but for me this is just what the doctor ordered.

Hope I didn't get too long-winded and that this article was of some help.

Good luck -

Dale
Not long winded at all, enjoyable read !
By not having a chronograph to work with while I shoot my first loads in a couple of weeks and sharing your experiences tells me I'm in the safe zone out to 200 yards just in case I find a node at minimum or medium velocities with also cold temps involved for deer hunting.

Here in Mississippi our temp is going drop into the 70s for the highs .
Thanks again !

Ray

I usually work up my loads in the summer Louisiana heat (90-100 F). That way I know when hunting in cooler weather I should be GTG. I have chrono'd some but not all in cooler weather and usually see less than 50 fps difference (slower) which I don't worry about.

Jimbeaux82":1ka5dmw7 said:
I usually work up my loads in the summer Louisiana heat (90-100 F). That way I know when hunting in cooler weather I should be GTG. I have chrono'd some but not all in cooler weather and usually see less than 50 fps difference (slower) which I don't worry about.
Thanks Jim !

For years , when I lived in SE Texas ( about like your area) and around Tulsa, OK I used IMR 4350 with the 30-06 ( 58/165; 57/180; 59/150 mainly). When I moved to Utah I later went with R22/200PT and H4350(58gr)/165 anything or 168TSX. I shoot the way I hunt....when I have the time, ha. A Chrony Beta is a good investment, not that expensive either. It will tell you what your rifle/load/temps are doing. If there is any doubt in your mind, just get some H4350, work up to 58gr/165 or 59/150; maybe 55-56 with a 180 and go kill game like nobodies business. Most of us Old Pharts love tinkering/experimenting with handloads as much if not more than actually hunting...don't worry about a bunch of different powder/bullet combos for different scenarios. :grin: Only real problem I ever had in cold temps was 10 days before a December cow elk hunt at 10 deg ( a cold snap came in) with a compressed load of R19 in a 338 Win Mag. I went immediately to H4350 and saved my hunt. I did have a very hard bolt lift with R22/150BT in a 280AI down in a Feb hunt for exotics in Texas Hill country, around 90 deg. It was fine, even in hot weather here. Go figure. If you are shooting now, you will be fine with IMR 4350 in your area come deer season pard. Just remember....you can never kill a Big buck by shooting a little buck first! (y)

preacher":rscpzgsr said:
For years , when I lived in SE Texas ( about like your area) and around Tulsa, OK I used IMR 4350 with the 30-06 ( 58/165; 57/180; 59/150 mainly). When I moved to Utah I later went with R22/200PT and H4350(58gr)/165 anything or 168TSX. I shoot the way I hunt....when I have the time, ha. A Chrony Beta is a good investment, not that expensive either. It will tell you what your rifle/load/temps are doing. If there is any doubt in your mind, just get some H4350, work up to 58gr/165 or 59/150; maybe 55-56 with a 180 and go kill game like nobodies business. Most of us Old Pharts love tinkering/experimenting with handloads as much if not more than actually hunting...don't worry about a bunch of different powder/bullet combos for different scenarios. :grin: Only real problem I ever had in cold temps was 10 days before a December cow elk hunt at 10 deg ( a cold snap came in) with a compressed load of R19 in a 338 Win Mag. I went immediately to H4350 and saved my hunt. I did have a very hard bolt lift with R22/150BT in a 280AI down in a Feb hunt for exotics in Texas Hill country, around 90 deg. It was fine, even in hot weather here. Go figure. If you are shooting now, you will be fine with IMR 4350 in your area come deer season pard. Just remember....you can never kill a Big buck by shooting a little buck first! (y)
Thanks Preacher , 57 gr is the highest I went up in powder with my test loads.
Maybe there's a node in there somewhere from noslers data for my rifle.

Thanks again , Ray

RAY":x7sfkf0h said:
PJGunner":x7sfkf0h said:
Paul B.
Thank you Paul , is that w760 load at book max when it was worked up in the heat ?

I'm not quite sure. It was a quick load work up about two weeks prior to the hunt. I didn't have much time to work up at a higher level. Load was fast enough at 2745 FPS average and accuracy's superb averaging about .75" for two 3 shot groups, Accuracy was unchanged up at Whittington and the load took down my cow elk with one shot. Range was about 100 yards plus or minus maybe 10 yards.
Paul B.

PJGunner":ht1ihw4k said:
RAY":ht1ihw4k said:
PJGunner":ht1ihw4k said:
Paul B.

I'm not quite sure. It was a quick load work up about two weeks prior to the hunt. I didn't have much time to work up at a higher level. Load was fast enough at 2745 FPS average and accuracy's superb averaging about .75" for two 3 shot groups, Accuracy was unchanged up at Whittington and the load took down my cow elk with one shot. Range was about 100 yards plus or minus maybe 10 yards.
Paul B.
Good to know.
My shots will be within 100 yards but there is lane out to 200 yards that is a possibility !
Thanks Paul !

I'm running 57.0 grains of IMR 4350 with a 180gr Barnes TTSX and don't seem to have any issues.
I worked the load up during the summer in southern Arizona so it should work in the cooler climates. I haven't had the chance to test it yet but in Tucson I'm getting 2724 fps.
I'm shooting a Ruger 30/06 with a 22" barrel. Nosler brass with Winchester LR primers. It works in my rifle but your mileage may vary.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Vince":1ynxdwcx said:
I'm running 57.0 grains of IMR 4350 with a 180gr Barnes TTSX and don't seem to have any issues.
I worked the load up during the summer in southern Arizona so it should work in the cooler climates. I haven't had the chance to test it yet but in Tucson I'm getting 2724 fps.
I'm shooting a Ruger 30/06 with a 22" barrel. Nosler brass with Winchester LR primers. It works in my rifle but your mileage may vary.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Thanks Vince , I had it in my mind that since data that is tested in controlled climates in the 70 s and they have their published max loads for those temps that at higher temps the loads would be less. Everyone that has replied with their experience has changed my thinking.

I really appreciate everyone's replies on this one and giving this beginner some help.

Ray.

My best groups with IMR4350 are usually not at the listed book max, but just a half to full grain or so below it. I have one gun that is pressure sensitive, so I have learned to not venture above book max.

My current 165 gr Sierra HPBT load for my new to me 30-06 has a good grouping just below max, but an outstanding grouping/node a perhaps 1.5 gr below max. It is so consistently accurate that I have just decided to use it for hunting. I don't have a chrony, but I would imagine this load is as much as 100-150 fps slower than the other node. I don't care. It's so stable and consistent, that I'm absolutely confident in it. Hot or cold, I can't imagine any problems with it. I developed it this past late winter and it shot well under .5". They shot just over .5" this summer when I verified it, so I loaded up a bunch of them.

IMR4350 was the powder the guy at the local reloading shop recommended to me over 20 years ago for anything in a '06 case. He wasn't wrong either. Compared to the newer powders, I suppose it's considered more temperature sensitive, but I've never notice a problem with it. But like you, my shots are seldom as far as away as 100 yards and probably 200 max in one stand. I could be shooting the most temperature insensitive powder and wouldn't likely be able to tell the difference when I pull the trigger on a deer at 45 yards. Good luck at the range.

Back