aluminum vs. steel base?

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
I am curious as to everyones thoughts on aluminum and steel bases and if and how much it matters in the field on the range or just personal preference?

My understanding is that since you have a steel action that steel bases are the way to go for utmost strength and reliability. Aluminum can somehow expand or something therefor being less accurate and reliable

with that said there are many top quality makers that make aluminum bases. So that really cant be the truth either can it?

Obviously if weight is a concern most will opt for aluminum base and rings. However if weight isnt an option, would you still go aluminum or go steel?

Reason being I have an EGW 20 MOA aluminum rail and weaver 6 hole aluminum tactical rings, but am thinking about going the NF steel base/rings. Unless someone can recommend better for a Rem 700 LA.

I hunt a lot in the cold so the rifle sees a lot of temperature changes. Steel on steel seems best as it expands and contracts more closely together than steel on aluminum.

hodgeman":3dr3om1n said:
I hunt a lot in the cold so the rifle sees a lot of temperature changes. Steel on steel seems best as it expands and contracts more closely together than steel on aluminum.

Great point, and one I hadn't considered, being that I hunt where it seldon gets lower than 40 degrees during the day.
I tend to base the steel/aluminum decision on the recoil of the rifle in question and it's intended use. My .300 Win Mags all get steel but my 25/06 has aluminum and 30/06 can go either way.

Vince

I'm sure temperature will effect lots of things and I do hunt in a area where temperature swings can very greatly during the day. Low teens in the mourning to mid 40s low 50s in the after noun.
For years I used the old style Weaver rings and bases, half steel and half aluminum. Couldn't afford much of anything else at the time and saw no visual change in poi with my rifles in either winter or summer.
As finances increased and I could afford better quality equipment I still never considered the material my rings and bases were made of.
I have Burris , Redfield, Weaver, Leupold and various other brands on both my target pistols and hunting rifles.
As far as durability on heavy recoiling rifles I really don't think your at a disadvantage with aluminum since that is all I use on my 1911 target pistols with the scope/red dot mounted on the slide. If they can take the hammering the 1911 can give them they have to be tough. Plus my pistols lay in the sun on the range which can create some higher than average temperature, at times I have to cover them just to keep them cool enough to handle and the ammo out of direct sun light to keep it cool or at air temperature.
My main consideration on material is for balance and weight.

I use steel bases on every rifle larger than a rimfire. I sometimes use aluminum rings but only on calibers less than 7mm. Everything else has steel rings just because of the high coefficient of expansion of aluminum.

Jorey,

I would go steel. The thermal expansion characteristics of steel and aluminum are different.
Since weight isn't a concern, a couple extra ounces will not matter.

JD338

The TPS rings which are fairly stoutly built, are only about 1.2 ounces difference between steel and 7075 Al.

hodgeman":1gvu0hls said:

This is the reason why I switched over to steel.

Back