Always pay attention

About the only thing I'm OCD about it, ensuring the components I use while loading ammo are exactly the products I plan on using. No other powder, primers, brass or bullets are on the bench.

And in regards to another post about grabbing the wrong rifle is why I won't have two rifles that are identical models, differing in only the caliber.

It’s not the reason I like and use IMR powders but I like that they use color coded labels with the powder designation. This can happen even when one is careful. Everyone is human and make mistakes.

Joec7651":3ke3n9u3 said:
It’s not the reason I like and use IMR powders but I like that they use color coded labels with the powder designation. This can happen even when one is careful. Everyone is human and make mistakes.

Yep, be darn hard to mistake any of the IMR's once you're familiar with them. Still one can never be too careful.

I, like Richracer, make it a habit to only have what I'm loading on the bench at any given time. Most importantly the powder and bullets.

I used to be in the habit of reading OUT LOUD the powder I selected out of the book, then reading OUT LOUD the label on the powder I have sitting on the bench. Posts like this make me think I should get back into that habit.

Mistaking a powder that is number 14 on the burn rate for one that is 101'st on the burn rate, will certainly make a bomb in your hands.

All kinds of ways you can goof up. I know a guy that somehow shot a 30-06 by mistake in a 7mm-300 Weatherby. There should've been way too much forward slop for it to go off, but I guess it headspaced off the .308 bullet in the 7mm neck of the chamber.

98 Mauser that held for the most part. Blew the stock apart, bottom metal off, and a piece of the extractor cut his face. The noise and pressure blew a hole in his left eardrum. He keeps the receiver and bolt in a basket by his chair. It's intact but none functional.

Absolutely. Never more than 1 powder and type of bullets on the bench.

FOTIS":1gjgjz5k said:
Absolutely. Never more than 1 powder and type of bullets on the bench.

Yes! I've been loading several different cartridges with different powders, primers and components recently. Am being very careful about what ends up on the bench. If it's not directly for the cartridge with which I'm working... It's off of there!

(y)

Living proof none of us are perfect. We all got cracks on our backside. Thanks for posting. Slow down a bit, your head is right there.

I always double check the components I'm loading and they are the only components on the beach.

JD338

When I am going to reload be it Rifle or handgun I make sure one powder only is on the bench and has already been poured into the powder measure. The can then sits on the side. I also make sure ( by telling my wife) that I want no phone calls, knocks on the door or other distractions while I am pulling the handle.

Back