Antelope 0 - 125gr partition 1

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Antelope buck at 501 yards. Rifle: Winchester Super Grade 264 Win Mag.
Load 67 gr RL 25 3350 fps MV and .55" at 100 yds accuracy!

264buck04.jpg

Pop, glad to see you made it over to this forum.

That is a great buck and that is one heck of a long shot. Congratulations!

I got a nice buck in New Mexico this fall using a 25-06 and the 100 grain Partitions. I am glad I did not have to shoot as far as you did. I got lucky, mine was not much more than a 100 yards away.

Congrats on your buck buddy!

Actally this was one of three goats on that day!

1st doe fell to the 416 WBY MAG (Heck it is a new gun with no "blood" on it and I could not wait to get to Africa in order to shoot it).

Shot was taken at 452 yds. Right behind the shoulder and out the other.

This is her with my boy! Notice the muzzle break on that 416 MAG! :wink:

416doe.jpg

2nd doe was at 277 yds again with the 416 WBY. One spine hit and she was dead.

The buck fell to the 264 Win Mag. Shot was at 501 yds right through both shoulders.
Gave up the ghost right there. It was a great hunt. Loads used.
416--330 GS Custom at 3075 fps
264--125 Nosler Partition--3350 fps

Great shooting. I have hunted by LaGrange and those antelopes are mighty fine eating. Congrats.

Long

longwinters":3qfwhewo said:
Great shooting. I have hunted by LaGrange and those antelopes are mighty fine eating. Congrats.

Long

Thanx. Actually that is one of my prairie dog spots!

NOSLER":yt6uzzx2 said:
Congrats!

That is one heck of a shot with a 416!!!
Yes with a 416 it is a nice shot.....However a high BC 416 bullet helps a lot!

Now I know that the 416 was not created fo 450 yard shots on antelope .... but being the radical that I am I love disproving popular theories! :lol: :lol:

Example: The load I used for the 416 WBY was 120 gr of RL 19 with a 330 gr GS Custom bullet. The GS Custom has a BC of .545 so at 3100 fps it has almost the EXACT SAME TRAJECTORY as a 300 RUM with a 200 gr HIGH BC bullet at 3100 fps.....with a couple of more thousand ft/lbs that is! :lol: :lol: :twisted:

See who says the 416 has to be a 50-100 yard proposition (other than Cape buffalo that is!)

I know I think is a sick way :twisted: but it is fun! :wink:

I still laugh to think of shooting a speed goat with a .416. What makes it as funny is using a high priced bullet to harvest 25 pounds of meat. Of course I am not one to talk since I used the Groovebullet on both my speed goats and I bought non-resident licenses :shock:

Next year I will likely use the AccuBond...

Great Shooting Pop!! I am pleased to see another believer in the 264 Win Mag. :grin: I have owned at least one for about 3 decades, and frankly, I wouldn't be without one! They are some flat shooting iron, loaded to their potential. I smoked a Big Muley about 5 years ago at just over 500 with the 140 Partition, started at 3280. It literally flattened him, and made exit. :shock: Nice work with your "big" thunderstick as well! :eek: Regards, Eagleye.

QuietHunter":hmq52th0 said:
I still laugh to think of shooting a speed goat with a .416. What makes it as funny is using a high priced bullet to harvest 25 pounds of meat. Of course I am not one to talk since I used the Groovebullet on both my speed goats and I bought non-resident licenses :shock:

Next year I will likely use the AccuBond...

Hey, in the beggining I was kinda embarassed to admit something like that. Then I thought hey let me use all my different calibers on game. Next year will be probably 300 RUM 264 Win again and 45-70! (3 tags for lopers)

Eagleye":uqhzrwm7 said:
Great Shooting Pop!! I am pleased to see another believer in the 264 Win Mag. :grin: I have owned at least one for about 3 decades, and frankly, I wouldn't be without one! They are some flat shooting iron, loaded to their potential. I smoked a Big Muley about 5 years ago at just over 500 with the 140 Partition, started at 3280. It literally flattened him, and made exit. :shock: Nice work with your "big" thunderstick as well! :eek: Regards, Eagleye.

Yes, I absolutely love the 264 especially in that Super Grade flavor. It is an awesome looking gun too.

264.jpg

Hey POP,

Big time congrats!! That is some shooting! That .264 really is a classy looking rifle.......shoots pretty fair as well!

Good Hunting,

Bob

Bob in TX":348l173k said:
Hey POP,

Big time congrats!! That is some shooting! That .264 really is a classy looking rifle.......shoots pretty fair as well!

Good Hunting,

Bob

Thanx Bob. This is the rifle I was going to use when I came to Texas for pigs. Of course (as you saw) I opted for a Stainless job (45-70, 300 RUM) due to the rains you guys had down there.

Back